What Happend To The Pgs?

2»

Comments

• BuggyBuggy Join Date: 2003-11-08 Member: 22400Members, Constellation
    This bugfix translates to another alien buff (sc's, innate regen, shotgun falloff, faster/free upgrades), and it can stack with the others quite drastically...

In b5, I would've agreed that if you'd gotten every marine back in the spawn for a beacon, they shouldn't have been able to break loose again with 2 aliens on the pg. But with the aliens being generally stronger, it's not really a 'good' bugfix, balance-wise.

At a 2-hive siege situation, or a rush (Not saying it's a smart move doing a rush at 2hives unless they're completely unaware of it, and you have a full team of lvl2 shotgunners), people will die a lot because of upgraded leaping skulks flying in at record time. You need that beacon/pg rush tactic now, since it's unfair to assume mid-game marines will be able to hold off your basic alien team. (RT Chewing skulk, 1-2 fades, lerk, 1-2 gorges, 1-2 upgraded Leaping Skulks).

Now you can either up the upgrade gestating time to slow down the skulkmobile rushing in, or make it possible to beaconrush the PG as a final ditch effort, or both. I'd like both.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    I think right now the Aliens are absolutely near perfect, balance wise, aside from some lifeform balances (which I wont bring up). However, its not either side that needs a nerf, its another side that needs a buff.

Myself, I'm not a big fan of the "ninja phase" tactic. Just like Grendel said, one PG shouldnt equal a dead hive if its anywhere near it, its just too easy to get someonet that close. I believe people need to start using PGs differently first. Instead of a foward rush into an alien hive, why not have a group of marines move in, secure the area, then build the PG? If you have a constant flow of marines comming through the cooldown shouldnt matter as much, as well as if your outpost's defenses are placed well.

Overall I think players are still trying to ninja or rather something similer and getting aggervated that they cant. When something changes you have to change how you use it.