New Legislation: Fda Bans Homosexual Sperm Donors

2»

Comments

• GrayDuckGrayDuck Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16134Members, Constellation
    edited May 2005
    Am I so wrong?

Statistics from America:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Approximately 40,000 new HIV infections occur each year in the United States, about 70 percent among men and 30 percent among women. Of these newly infected people, half are younger than 25 years of age.(3,4)

Of new infections among men in the United States, CDC estimates that approximately 60 percent of men were infected through homosexual sex, 25 percent through injection drug use, and 15 percent through heterosexual sex. Of newly infected men, approximately 50 percent are black, 30 percent are white, 20 percent are Hispanic, and a small percentage are members of other racial/ethnic groups.(4)
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HIV is transmitted through body fluids. It can be found in ALL body fluids, however, that doesn’t mean that each body fluid can transmit it.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

Casual contact through closed-mouth or "social" kissing is not a risk for transmission of HIV. Because of the potential for contact with blood during "French" or open-mouth kissing, CDC recommends against engaging in this activity with a person known to be infected. However, the risk of acquiring HIV during open-mouth kissing is believed to be very low. CDC has investigated only one case of HIV infection that may be attributed to contact with blood during open-mouth kissing.

In cases where people have gotten it through kissing, statistically it is from open wounds in your mouth (cold sores, bleeding gums, etc). In fact, the only way you can get it through oral sex is if you have an open wound in your mouth, or if for some reason you have an open wound in your stomache (Note: Asprin causes your stomache to bleed… take an asprin then blow someone who’s HIV+ and you will likely get infected).

The risk of HIV transmission from an infected partner through oral sex is much smaller than the risk of HIV transmission from anal or vaginal sex.

Don’t tell me I have no clue. I studied this topic a great deal in college, and I have been active in the Minnesota Aids Project since 1998. Also don’t tell me that I am discriminating against homosexuals or people who are HIV / AIDS positive. The FDA isn’t saying ‘If you find people of the same sex sexually attractive, you can’t donate blood or semen’ they are saying ‘If you engage in risky sexual behaviours, please wait 5 years before donating.’. And I agree with them.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you have vaginal sex with someone who is HIV+, and during the sex none of your 'female tissue' is torn at all (which unknown to both men and women, it happens on small degrees nearly everytime entercourse is had) - if you don't tear AT ALL, you will not be infected. I like how someone once put it 'the **** is a self-cleaning oven' - the infected fluids would not be magically absorbed into your body. However, it is nearly impossible to have anal sex without tearing any tissue. Hence anal sex being a greater risk for contracting HIV.

Edit 2: Concerning blood donation: <a href='http://chapters.redcross.org/ca/socal/blood/elig.html' target='_blank'>link</a>

Persons who have had sex with anyone at high risk for HIV or AIDS within the last year get are not allowed to give blood until that year is up.

Men who had sex with another man, even once, since 1977. As it stands anyone in this category will NEVER be allowed to give blood in the US.

How the questions are worded on the questionnaire may differ from state to state.
  • Fatal_ErrorFatal_Error Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 35840Members
    Not just risky sexual behaviors. ANY sexual behaviors. And, also, homosexuals having only anal sex is a common conception that really is only half true.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-CDC+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CDC)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Around half of all people diagnosed with AIDS were <b> probably </b> infected with HIV through male-to-male sexual contact, while people exposed through heterosexual contact comprise around 16% of the total. However, since the beginning of the epidemic, the number of heterosexual infections has increased dramatically. <b>  According to CDC estimates, heterosexual contact led to about one third of new AIDS diagnoses and one third of new HIV diagnoses in 2003. </b>

It is estimated, not for sure. Which is why the facts are probably off.

For some reason I'm having issues loggin on the CDC site from work, so I shall use a second hand site which has their research on it.

<a href='http://www.avert.org/usastatg.htm' target='_blank'>Advert.org (Takes stats from the CDC)</a>
    <!--QuoteBegin-Advert.org+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Advert.org)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    The latest statistics on AIDS & HIV in the USA were published in December 2004 by the US Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The next data are due December 2005.

<b> There is often a delay between the time of diagnosis of HIV or AIDS, or the time of death, and the time at which the event is reported. Moreover, this delay may differ among different categories of people. For this reason the CDC estimates the number of diagnoses, deaths and people living with HIV or AIDS by adjusting for reporting delays, taking into account the differences between categories. The CDC also redistributes cases into exposure categories if none was initially reported. No adjustment is made for incomplete reporting. On this page, all numbers are CDC estimates. </b>

On this page "adults and adolescents" are defined as persons aged 13 years or more. <b> The term "exposure category" refers to the most probable route of transmission of HIV infection.  The term "male-to-male sexual contact" includes **** men, bisexual men and some men who consider themselves to be neither **** nor bisexual. </b>

The HIV statistics presented on this page include only the 33 areas with a history of confidential name-based HIV reporting, as listed in our USA AIDS Summary. The AIDS statistics include all 50 states of the USA, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Pacific Islands and the US Virgin Islands.

<!--QuoteBegin-Grayduck+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Grayduck)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.
    I really don't need to say anymore for the entire top portion of your paragrah agrees with me. Not to mention you neglected that other bodily fluids do carry the HIV virius. Reguardless of how small of chance there is, it is still a chance, and negating entire sections that are possible is narrowminded.

<!--QuoteBegin-FatalError+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (FatalError)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Not just risky sexual behaviors. ANY sexual behaviors. And, also, homosexuals having only anal sex is a common conception that really is only half true. <i> Less then half true </i>
    He has the right of it. If you think that homosexuals only engage in solely anal sex you need to find a better source.

<!--QuoteBegin-www.garynull.com/Documents/Continuum/DissentingViewAnalSex&AIDS.htm+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (www.garynull.com/Documents/Continuum/DissentingViewAnalSex&AIDS.htm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <i> I'm having issues going to some sites because I am at work and there is a  websense blocking me.  Even though I have control of this, I won't disable it due to the fact I have computer illiterates working with me and they might go to a very "unsafe" site. </i>
    Only 6% of the **** population engage in anal sex on a regular basis.
    I'll let that stand for itself.
  • CForresterCForrester P0rk(h0p Join Date: 2002-10-05 Member: 1439Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-GrayDuck+May 6 2005, 01:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (GrayDuck @ May 6 2005, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This issue isn't about repressing **** people. It's about public welfare. Who here donates blood? All the questions you get asked there... for me, because I'm female I have to answer 'have you had sex, even once, in the past five years with a homosexual male?' and other similar questions. I whole heartedly disagree with the claim that this is discrimination. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But instead of trying to narrow it down with silly questions, why don't they just ask you "Have you had unprotected sex with anyone who probably hasn't had an STD test in the past six months?" and then do an STD test either way?