Cms Feature List

esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Bleh, help me out.</div> Ok, well, i'm currently in the process of putting together a CMS for my site, working on PHP and mySQL, it's still early in development really, mainly because i lack any sort of motivation, really. But having started coding in the authentication and very very basic functionality, it kinda struck me.

What features should i actually bother putting in it?

First and foremost, it'll have the main news post, this is a definite feature, since, well, that's the whole point of coding it. Commenting of course would be there with it, because you need comments.... But that's where i draw a blank.

Should i include templating for the PHP to generate, or should i output to a seperate file and include that by other means?

Should i bother with creating a browsable news archive?

Should i make the posts sortable and searchable (Including archive)?

Should i include user accounts for seperate users and posting priviledges?

Should i include the ability to generate multiple news pages through the same CMS?

Or should i bugger all that and make it entirely simple?

You tell me, do you think including any of them is overkill (Considering this CMS won't be distributed at all), or can you suggest anything else that the CMS should feature?

And yeah, i'm already decided that i am coding my own CMS, so don't bother suggesting to use a readymade CMS.

Comments

• DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    For starters, why on earth would you code your own CMS? There are dozens already made on sourceforge...
  • ZeroByteZeroByte Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3057Members
    I'm going with DOOMy and questioning why you want to roll your own. As for the features, consider these:

Will you utilize this CMS in other future projects?
    Can you deal with changing code when you want to change layouts?
    Will you have other users? If not, bugger multiple accounts etc.

And again, WHY bother with making yet another CMS. Besides the geek e-penor factor.
  • twoflowtwoflow Singing Drunk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1950Members, Constellation
    I'd make it entirely simple, and then graft more things onto it as they become desired. Clearly it's not worth bothering with user accounts if it's just for a personal site.
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-DOOManiac+May 26 2005, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DOOManiac @ May 26 2005, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> For starters, why on earth would you code your own CMS? There are dozens already made on sourceforge... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^ What he said. Reinventing the round rolling thing is great for a learning exercise, but other than that not really.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-ZeroByte+May 26 2005, 05:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ZeroByte @ May 26 2005, 05:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm going with DOOMy and questioning why you want to roll your own. As for the features, consider these:

Will you utilize this CMS in other future projects?
    Can you deal with changing code when you want to change layouts?
    Will you have other users? If not, bugger multiple accounts etc.

And again, WHY bother with making yet another CMS. Besides the geek e-penor factor. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes i'll use the CMS for future projects.

And no, i don't intend on changing the code for different layouts, i intend to make this entirely flexible so the code need not be changed on one of my redesigning whims.

And why bother making my own CMS? Simple, it'll be a CMS i know inside and out, i'lll know every single line of the code, i'll know every little detail about it. Something i cannot say about any other CMS, that and it's always good practice.