Illiteracy In The United States

2»

Comments

• RobertoRoberto Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14591Members, Constellation
    and all the problems in the world would be solved...
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2005
    And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste... until... well.....

There actually is some truth to that.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I really love how people think that wiping out the human race will somehow be a great thing. No wait, I don't.
    Misanthropists, simple rule of thumb: If you think all humans should die, start with yourself.
  • RobertoRoberto Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14591Members, Constellation
    I never said it would be a great thing, just that it would take care of the petty squabbles like who's religion is right and the middle east. And literacy.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    Actually roberto, if you were to kill off the entire human race, you would be causing more harm then good at the moment.

Eventually, another animal shall rise up and become just as intelligent if not more so then we are. Which will spawn another huge similar debate.

Basically, what needs to be done is to make education fun, thereby promoting learning instead of relying upon a few individuals to make due. If you can increase the overall educational quotient of a nation you can easily have a more prosperous nation, and all of these little squabbles will end on their own. Once such has been accomplished you will see more tolerance, so the middle east will settle down, the "religious squabbles" well teach more about tolerance rather then obliterating one another and everyone is generally happier.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Maybe reading needs to become fashionable again. I constantly hear people say "I never read books" as if they were bragging. It's unsettling.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-lolfighter+May 29 2005, 06:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (lolfighter @ May 29 2005, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Maybe reading needs to become fashionable again. I constantly hear people say "I never read books" as if they were bragging. It's unsettling. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed it is, and the very computers we use on a daily basis are a contributory factor, probably moreso than television.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    Eh, we're reading right now, aren't we? Television is much worse than computers or (especially) the Internet when it comes to making kids uninterested in reading.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sky+May 29 2005, 04:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sky @ May 29 2005, 04:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Eh, we're reading right now, aren't we? Television is much worse than computers or (especially) the Internet when it comes to making kids uninterested in reading. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With the exception of some video games, you would be 100% correct.

Most internet surfing has to do with being able to read. :-)
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sky+May 29 2005, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sky @ May 29 2005, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Eh, we're reading right now, aren't we? Television is much worse than computers or (especially) the Internet when it comes to making kids uninterested in reading.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't confuse the reading being necessary to navigate about the computer as the type of reading that will prevent illiteracy. The move in school systems right now is to get children to read books. Lots of books.
    Give it a decade, or even less, and there won't be any more printed books around. Electronically storing information is so much easier and practical, even if it does kill the experience of reading a book...it'd be easy enough to invent book-shaped readers, where turning the page just scrolls the screen down a bit...the point is that reading stuff on your computer is probably going to become how kids learn to read.
  • Splinter_SteveSplinter_Steve Join Date: 2005-03-20 Member: 45881Members
    Reading a book has always been awkward for me, I can NEVER get comfortable, I always gotta hold my neck or arms at some weird position to get it done.

Also, why read a book when you have spark notes? <i>There</i> is a major part of your problem with English education.

45 70 \/\/|-|47 |)3|>07 541|), 95% 0|= 7|-|3 1/\/73|2/\/37 100|<5 |1|<3 7|-|15

I consider anyone who writes like the above <i>as good as illiterate</i>.
    edited May 2005
    wow. i understand that. must go beat head against wall now.

For the illiterate..or should I say literate:
    <span style='font-size:2pt;line-height:100%'>As to what Depot said, 95% of the Internet looks like this</span>
  • Ho_Chi_MizzleHo_Chi_Mizzle Join Date: 2005-05-02 Member: 50709Members, Constellation
    lol you got me there with ur crazy crazy 1337 speak
  • IconoclastIconoclast Join Date: 2004-06-23 Member: 29481Members, Constellation
    They should make kids in schools play MUDs. Great for the vocabulary.
  • GoldwinGoldwin Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51110Members
    I guarantee you that the largest chunks of illiteracy come from the large cities in each state.

I can attest for a fact that New York's largest chunk of illiteracy comes from New York City, what with their extremely horrendous public school system (Students attacking teachers are ok here! Nope, not a problem!).

I personally believe that there are three sources of illiteracy.

#1. Illegal immigrants. They push our illiteracy through the roof, sicne they must pose as U.S. citizens, thus when being surveyed in the crowd, they count as an illiterate.

#2. Drugs. Yes, drugs. Drugs are what fuel the underground society of the "It's cool to be stupid!" society. Since many also mess with the braina nd inhibit its ability to learn, those who take drugs can fall into illiteracy too, and also gives the image that literacy is "uncool".

#3. The poor/homeless. Many of these class of people cannot afford an education, or were never given a chance. They also form a sizable chunk of illiterates.

Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree at your own free will.