Why Are Towers/webs Limited, But Turrets Are Not?

GanavGanav Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6770Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Why are towers/webs limited, but turrets</div> Why is is that alien offensive towers, and webs-which defense wise are far inferior to turrets, have a limit how many you can put down, but turrets do not? If anything turrets should have the limit.

Comments

• MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Because when the game is running properly (aka, not right now, before the patch) Marine turrets are too expensive to have so many as to require limitation.
  • GanavGanav Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6770Members
    Even with a server that has the right rescource set up, if marines can get 5 or 6 turrets in 1 spot, the aliens MAY be able to take it eventually, but they will need to do a GREAT deal of work to do it, the time it takes for them to take them out, the marines have enough $$$ to build 6 more.

What is the rational behind limiting webs though? THAT I dont understand.
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    They don't cost anything, so when they get really spammed around they bring the entity count so high the HL engine itself starts to barf. Basically, it's a hard limit to keep the game from crashing or causing 'ghosting ents'.
  • saberxsaberx Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3044Members
    Yea, they limit webs because too many would crash the server.
  • InfinitumInfinitum Anime Encyclopedia Join Date: 2002-08-08 Member: 1111Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--MonsieurEvil+Nov 4 2002, 12:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MonsieurEvil @ Nov 4 2002, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Because when the game is running properly (aka, not right now, before the patch) Marine turrets are too expensive to have so many as to require limitation.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, this is what erks me as a lerk (hahahaha I'm so wity..... *cough*) is coming through a vent, setting up on a overhanging pipe somewhere and having to take out 10 *explative* turrets! On top of that, you've got a phase gate that has to go first.... but reinforcements with welders generally come before I can take out even 3 of the turrets.

This patch is going to even things out so much.

YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED MARINES!
    <b>NUMBERED!</b>
  • saiyrsaiyr Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5653Members
    Turrets cost virtually nothing if you have a good commander. They should be severly limited...the alien defense thingers (I have a good memory) are limited...and they suck...so turrets should be too.

--saiyr
  • JikxJikx Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3563Members
    no, thats the bug i think.. i played as a Marine as saw the command drop down 7 turrets.. the resource counter barely dropped 50 RC :/
  • saiyrsaiyr Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5653Members
    Oh, so they're unlimited AND rigged in resources. Well...hmph.
  • urseusurseus Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4970Members
    I agree with limiting webs its a good idea, but as it stands i think the turrets are the major thing interupting the game balence.

I think the marine turrets should be weaker, as alien ones can be taken out by gren launchers from around a corner.
  • SuramanSuraman Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1526Members
    How much do turrets normally cost? I asked an admin if he messed with the economy and he said no but then the next map I went marine and turrets cost 16. Maybe he thought he was smart by saying he didn't tinker with the economy because he changed the cost of buildings.
  • KotauKotau Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6903Members
    damn! I've been haxxored
    sorry, multipost by accident
    Every time I've played marines (which has been few), the turrets have always cost 16 RP to place.

I always thought that was a little cheap.

Then again, any experienced alien player can take out a forest of turrets no problem. It's just a matter of teamwork, patience, and stealth.

For example.
    Lerk: Perch up high and take them out with needle spines.
    Fade: Get adrenaline from the movement node and blast the hell out of them with bile bomb or acid rocket.
    skulk: JUST CIRCLE STRAFE, they cant hit you!
    Onos: Primal scream a must use.

Generally in games I'll stay as a gorge until we have 2-3 hives, then I go to fade as needed.
    Kotau
  • SamWSamW Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2515Members
    i actually find the defensive cloud is good against turrets too.. the turrets don't hurt/hit so badly witht that cloud thingy
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    Its not the fact that turrets dont cost much, its the fact that the marines get to many RPs too quick, the bug will fix this.