Co_daimos Performance Issues

dutchminatordutchminator Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32863Members
<div class="IPBDescription">co_rebirth all over again?</div> Hi all,

Since 3.0f release, i've noticed daimos has received big graphic upgrades. I like them, but my cpu doesn't for some reason. It gives me a 20fps at most when looking at a corner in an empty room, and even when just moving, fps is 15. In the b5 version of daimos, my normal fps in combat was 20fps...

When co_rebirth was still in, it had the exact same problem. All maps ran fine, except rebirth.

My system is:
P3 733mhz
128mb ram
voodoo3 16mb videocard

I know it's old junk, but it ran b5 maps fine with 25 average. in 3.0f it still runs graphically-unchanged maps like veil or hera fine, only daimos is causing unplayable fps drops.

Comments

• master_wongmaster_wong Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32649Members
    like u, i suffers the same problems. except my laptop should be faster than urs, and i LOWER fps than u (the laptop is prob infested with a lot of stuff, since my friends overused the nothern 2005 key...)

<a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89601&st=0' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....opic=89601&st=0</a>
  • AudaxAudax Join Date: 2003-09-20 Member: 21025Members
    I notice the same problems as well.
  • FlyingcowFlyingcow Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41451Members
    ifyou dont want to upgrade

nsarmslab.com has a few low polygon models.

i suggest using the lowest resolution

mp_decals 100
  • JojoshuaJojoshua NS Guide Professor Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5233Members
    Heh, as soon as I loaded up "daimos" I new it was the new co_rebirth.
  • dutchminatordutchminator Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32863Members
    edited March 2005
    i dont have money to upgrade, but i dont feel like downgrading my models either. Like i said, most maps play fine, except daimos, which has become unplayable... I dont think i should lower my models just for one map, I'd rather have a fix for that specific map.

PS: i play on 1024x768 and i dont use custom models
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--QuoteBegin-dutchminator+Mar 10 2005, 06:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (dutchminator @ Mar 10 2005, 06:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i dont have money to upgrade, but i dont feel like downgrading my models either. Like i said, most maps play fine, except daimos, which has become unplayable... I dont think i should lower my models just for one map, I'd rather have a fix for that specific map.

PS: i play on 1024x768 and i dont use custom models <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With your lowend system you should use 800x600 imho.
  • Shadow_SporkShadow_Spork Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33306Members
    edited March 2005
    I have similar specs with dutch.

P3 733MHz CPU
    384 MB PC-100 RAM
    nVidia TNT2 32 MB video card

Yet, I don't have major problems with the new co_daimos. In fact, I don't notice any fps issues from the older map.

But I do use 800x600 to keep my fps at least 30, which is my average. In fact, that should be the resolution you should be using, since we have a now low-end system.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Daimos feels like someone compiled with "fast" vis instead of full.
  • dutchminatordutchminator Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32863Members
    hmm ok, i know my system is low-end, but like i said, i can play most maps at average fps with 1024. I'd like to keep it this way tbh, because the only problematic map is daimos. is there any reason why this would be the only problem map? different method of compiling or something?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I guess, its because of too many texture lights and the lightdata of the .bsp
    Texturlights use more lightdata afaik, because they are composed of many point lights to gain accurate lighting.
    Look at the map, there are so many texturlights used as "trim-textures" like in rebirth as far as I remember.
    Some compile options can even increase the lightdata (amount of lightmaps) by increasing its quality.
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I do not doubt there might be problems for some hardware configurations out there but sadly I could not reproduce it on the 3 different systems I own (and 2 of them are quite low-end). I didn't get any FPS drops at all. I talked to a couple of people while playing on daimos and asked about any FPS issues, only two said they had minor FPS drops. Ironically both of them had high-end systems wich is rather weird.

If you are getting FPS drops please send me some screenshots of different areas of the map so that one can see where the drop happens and what your average FPS is. It could also help if you append your system configuration and your config file (graphic settings and that stuff).

As I said, at the moment I can't reproduce the problem, but if you mail me your screenshots I'll look into it some more.

/Hyper