The Competitive Balance Feedback Thread

1235»

Comments

• Minstrel_KnightMinstrel_Knight The truth and nothing but the truth... Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9562Banned
    edited April 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Swirl !+Apr 11 2005, 04:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Swirl ! @ Apr 11 2005, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> One word: Motiontracking.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Let's try and cut down on the anti skill upgrades rather than encourage their usage even more.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If focus goes what will the new players use?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cloaking.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1) +5 base armor for marines. A buff removed with a single psite.
    2) Switch welders with hand grenades. Make nades dropable in packs, and welders a research in the armory. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Free welders might be a little overpowered but nades dropable in packs makes certain situations actually counterable prior to a gl and would be a good idea.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I actually wouldn't mind a different version of motion tracking. It should be MUCH cheaper and quicker ot research, and it won't show the blue circles like it does now. You'd only see the red dots on the minimap, so you won't know *exactly* where the alien is.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If motion tracking is made cheaper it must be switched to a different system. Something more along the lines of AvP montion tracking would be much better/more fair than the current system.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Alien flashlight as it is chould be a SC upgrade again. Have it highlight aliens and structures like normal, but the upgrade allow it to make marines brighter and maybe gives that structure dropping thing G suggested<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe the old Advanced Hive Sight upgrade did something like this, however it was completely useless so it was removed.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    I support the "mini-map" only MT that's cheaper and faster to research. Then, after the armory is advanced, comms have the option to upgrade to MT as it is now.
  • N_RecoupN_Recoup Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36126Members
    Seeing as how aliens get their own form of MT (Scent of Fear), and with sensory they can get it for free now, it kind of means both sides get a no-skill upgade, the only problem is that the marine MT can be countered either by standing still or using the sensory bit for it. SoF is always on, always works, and never quits. Do you think we should make SoF turn off when marines stand still, or when they are near an Obs? I'd prefer the standing still bit, so we can level out the gap between MT and SoF.

Just a thought, however. People thoughts marines were overpowered in the last version when they werent, and now aliens are much more powerful.
  • MenesMenes Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37600Members, NS1 Playtester
    IMHO, sensory chambers could be brought back to the same level of efficiency as the two other chambers by doing this:

- The cloaking upgrade should have different percentages of visibility depending on the number of sensory chambers dropped. Right now, it seems that a single sensory chamber offers the same visibility as three. One sensory chamber should give, say, 35% (?) visibility, then two should give 20% (?) visibility and then three should give the current maximum visiblity (~5% ?). The different visibilities when moving faster should be adjusted proportionally too. This will make it harder for aliens to make a too early cloaking rush without three sensory chambers.

- The two other chambers work like this: the more chambers in a area, the bigger their effect is. I suggest to do the same with sensory chambers. Sensory chambers cover an area of 750 units. One sensory chamber should cloak alien players and structures as a level 1 cloaking upgrade (which follows the previous statement concerning cloaking levels). So if a player is in range of two sensory chambers, he will cloak as if he had a level 2 cloaking upgrade and so on.

- The scent of fear effect given by sensory chambers seems a bit overpowered since the sensory chamber range is 750 units. What I suggest is to change the way it works. Instead of detecting players that are behind walls, it should only detect players that are "in sight" of it. It should work the same way as a turret "detects" players.

This would, IMVHO, bring back the sensory chamber to a reasonable level of efficiency while keeping it as a viable first chamber. Focus seems fine as it is, it's just that a decent fade can have a good time if marines don't have welders. All this is, of course, my very humble observation.
  • whenyougofowardswhenyougofowards Join Date: 2005-04-03 Member: 47366Members
    edited April 2005
    This is exactly why sensory chambers are 'over-powered.' Unlike Movement and Defense, Sensory allows you to pretty much take full advantage of the best early game upgrade with only 1 chamber. it's also argueably the 'best' chamber...and most effective with only 1 chamber. Cloaking should work based on a percentage of visibility and cool down. at first level it should be like 50% visibility with a 3 second cool down. 2nd should be 75% and 2 second cool down and 3rd should be 99% with a 1 second cool down. you also shouldnt be able to cloak if you have another sensory upgrade near a chamber. ie having focus next to a sensory chamber. you have cloaking, sof, and focus. :/ chambers should only cloak buildings and units w/o an upgrade OR cloaking as an upgrade already.

EDIT:
    I know that's how sensory works now. but it dosen't actually *work*
  • MenesMenes Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37600Members, NS1 Playtester
    correct

I would think that at least that point has to be seriously considered, sensory chamber levels of cloaking that is. I recall cloaking being that way in previous betas, so it might just be a bug too (?).

I'm just not sure if removing the cloaking effect from map-placed sensory chambers when having a sensory upgrade is the way to go though. I was hesitant as to whether nerf the scent of fear given from chambers or just remove it completely. But I think that if one of the two has to go, it should be the free scent of fear.

However, the free cloaking from sensory chambers could be used as I posted in my last post. The two other chambers have area effects, the more defense chambers in an area, the faster the healing is, the more movement chambers, the faster the adrenaline boost, so perhaps being in the area of 3 sensory chambers should give maximum cloaking, while being in the area of 1, would give minimum cloaking. Of course, it would be quite easy to spot a fade or an onos cloaked under a single sensory chamber if it doesn't have the cloaking upgrade.

I made a small drawing to show better the idea of sensory areas... the blue things are sensory chambers and the green circles are the areas they are covering, anyhow it's pretty self explanatory:
  • Router_BoxRouter_Box Join Date: 2004-09-07 Member: 31483Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Despite all the crying about sensory, MC's seem to have become the dominent first chamber.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-tankefugl+Apr 13 2005, 10:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (tankefugl @ Apr 13 2005, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We're walking borderline I&S here now, relax a bit please. We're out after the balance issues, not any tweak or nerf possible. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A lot of the non-competitive players get confused about that.

Yet another reason this forum should be restricted =/.