New article on Gamasutra

whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
Article: <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036" target="_blank">http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25036</a>

Congratulations, Guys!

I'm very excited!

Comments

• palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Now, Unknown Worlds hopes one of the biggest incentives to spurring preorders is early access starting next month to its ambitious proprietary toolset, which includes all of the studio's own assets necessary to make custom levels and post-processed cinematics. The company has said it will purchase the best user levels for official inclusion in the final release.

That's certainly interesting.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, Unknown Worlds hopes one of the biggest incentives to spurring preorders is early access starting next month<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "OMG!!!"
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->to its ambitious proprietary toolset<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "oh."
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    I see the light ...
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    Whoooooooooooooooooo!

I say Nov. 1. :P
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    While this is all very cool, one thing the article really gets across is how UWE released these pre-sales over digital distribution and has made X dollars. It will be interesting to see if UWE will be able to actually keep those presale dollars because I imagine if UWE wants those who prepurchased to be able to use Steam, and interact with those who will buy it over Steam, then Valve will want their cut of those preorder sales. It's also worth nothing that UWE hasn't actually distributed anything yet and they may not be able to without the aid of Steam. Combine this with the recent Gearbox CEO <a href="http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/developers-speak-on-valve-steam-conflict-of-interest.ars" target="_blank">speaking out against steam</a> and I hope Valve doesn't feel like they have a monopoly publishing games from smaller development studios.
  • VanillamarineVanillamarine Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69068Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new game, <b>due next year</b>, is a standalone product, not a mod<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fall 09 my ass.

Why do the devs of every game I am going to play lie about the release date? This is so frustrating. Just shut up and don't give a date but telling the nontruth is so stupid.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    Awesome! 220,000$ from preorders? Thats really impressive!

Thats at least 5500 copies btw.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1734516:date=Oct 30 2009, 12:14 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 30 2009, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...Combine this with the recent Gearbox CEO <a href="http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/developers-speak-on-valve-steam-conflict-of-interest.ars" target="_blank">speaking out against steam</a> and I hope Valve doesn't feel like they have a monopoly publishing games from smaller development studios.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was also a rebuttal to that article: <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25595" target="_blank">Tripwire, Steam, And How We’re Not Getting Exploited</a>

John Gibson is the head of Tripwire Interactive, the developers of Red Orchestra and Killing Floor. He explains that they couldn't have had anywhere close to the same success they've had without Steam; Steam might have even saved the studio from closing. UWE appears to be in a very similar position as Tripwire was a few years ago.

Gearbox is a massive developer with dozens of titles over decades of work; they even worked on the Half-Life 1 expansions. IMO, the Tripwire example and side of the story is infinitely more relevant to UWE and NS2.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734517:date=Oct 30 2009, 04:14 PM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Oct 30 2009, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do the devs of every game I am going to play lie about the release date? This is so frustrating. Just shut up and don't give a date but telling the nontruth is so stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because us humans have a problem with overestimating what we can do in a given period of time. Sorry the devs are human and can't see into the future... I guess they should release the game we paid $40 for now regardless of whether its done or not, because they said fall 09 damn it! *sarcasm*
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734516:date=Oct 30 2009, 05:14 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 30 2009, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I imagine if UWE wants those who prepurchased to be able to use Steam, and interact with those who will buy it over Steam, then Valve will want their cut of those preorder sales.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can't say that I have seen the contract Valve offers developers who want to sell their games on Steam, but why would they want a cut of non-Steam sales? That seems like it would really hurt business.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734523:date=Oct 30 2009, 05:58 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Oct 30 2009, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because us humans have a problem with overestimating what we can do in a given period of time. Sorry the devs are human and can't see into the future... I guess they should release the game we paid $40 for now regardless of whether its done or not, because they said fall 09 damn it! *sarcasm*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I paid 20 euros.

Regardless, it is still a lie. And devs lying about release dates happens to become really the normality. How come?

EDIT: Furthermore, I am pretty sure that the huge "Fall 09" advertisement was responsible for quite some bought pre-orders. So can this be considered as wrong advertisement?
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    It is not a lie. Stop using that word. Maybe you should brush up on your english?

Definition of lying:

* the deliberate act of deviating from the truth

If they overestimated what they could get done in that period of time, then that's one thing. But they were hardly lying. Unless, of course, you're implying they did it entierly on purpose, knowing fully well that they wouldn't release in time. Though, your post would've been differently phrased if that were the case, I imagine.

PS. I'm not a 'grammar-nazi' or anything like that - But I don't appreciate when people call honest people 'liars'.
    edited October 2009
    This is a company dude, I am pretty sure they fully understand what they can finish at what date. Otherwise they would make an official annoucement to excuse a release date delay?! Or not :D

EDIT: Heck, companies have been sued to the ruins for false advertisement.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734533:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Oct 30 2009, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a company dude, I am pretty sure they fully understand what they can finish at what date. Otherwise they would make an official annoucement to excuse a release date delay?! Or not :D

EDIT: Heck, companies have been sued to the ruins for false advertisement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Computer programming companies miss deadlines <b>all the time</b> even if they 'know' how long it takes because programs are so complex that the best that can be done is an estimation. Besides <b>fall is not over until the night of November 30th</b> so they are not past their projected release for people to be complaining.

Complain on December 1st if there is no alpha.
    <!--quoteo(post=1734534:date=Oct 30 2009, 06:40 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 30 2009, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Computer programming companies miss deadlines <b>all the time</b> even if they 'know' how long it takes because programs are so complex that the best that can be done is an estimation. Besides <b>fall is not over until the night of November 30th</b> so they are not past their projected release for people to be complaining.

Complain on December 1st if there is no alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know that they fail their deadlines all the time, its just that it happens to be WAY more frequent in the last couple of year, at least thats my observation.

"The best that can be done is an estimation"

Hey man, I would be more than happy if they gave me an ETA on the NS2 release but stating "Fall 09" is definitly not an estimation. If they advertised with "Maybe Fall 09", I would be more than cool but this isn't the case.
    In the gamasutra article is clearly stated that its coming 2010 :(
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    Would be nice to hear something from the devs now that they've done the interview.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734524:date=Oct 30 2009, 12:58 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 30 2009, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't say that I have seen the contract Valve offers developers who want to sell their games on Steam, but why would they want a cut of non-Steam sales? That seems like it would really hurt business.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the prepurchase players will be using Steam's services and I'd assume there is some cost associated with that. I could even see a company saying "if your players want to use our service, we need a cut of the sales" just out of principle. Plus even though UWE has sold the game ahead of time they haven't distributed anything (and to our knowledge) have no means of distributing their own game. These presales may end up going through Steam anyways. Obviously, I have never seen a contract between Steam and a developer either but I would expect Valve would want some kind of a cut.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was also a rebuttal to that article<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I read that article a while ago. While Tripwire feels like they've had a very successful relationship with Valve that doesn't really change the fact that Steam is the method of digital distribution. Impluse, Direct 2 Drive, and others can't really match Steam. When one company becomes king there's always going to be some kind of exploitation. I'm not saying it's happening now, and if it is indie developers may not care since Steam can still provide them large profits like Tripwire is experiencing, but it's definitely something to keep in mind as Steam moves forward.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    Are you guys serious?? What the heck are they doing? Playing Zen of Soduku all the time?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Congrats to Runic Games for Torchlight. Very focused, polished and fun-looking game! You nailed it. And it's all on Ogre3D? Wow. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Whats this??? I dont want to know whats going on Runic Games with some stupid Torchlight.
    This article helped me with my personal decision to give them 1 Month for releasing Alpha until i want my money back!!!
    I got enough of all those vids, with done models ... they did new models so fast and now nothing is getting done anymore???
    Im feeling screwed off!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Wrong, Autumn/Fall ends 23.59.59 December 22nd.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Congrats to the team- repaying half of your funding in only a few months of preorders for a non-marketed game is fantastic news! The news of the alpha tool set being released next month is also exciting, I wish we knew more about them. Just release some new reveals and stuff to keep us going... we understand you guys have a new impetus for polishing and whatnot because of the financial figures but don't forget that as you guys got more time from it we have to wait longer! Throw a bone once in a while, but congrats!
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734544:date=Oct 30 2009, 11:57 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 30 2009, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wrong, Autumn/Fall ends 23.59.59 December 22nd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see you are using the astronomical (length of day) dates instead of meteorological (temperature), so you can't claim November 20th is wrong without clarifying your system.

<a href="http://www.crh.noaa.gov/glossary.php?word=AUTUMN" target="_blank">http://www.crh.noaa.gov/glossary.php?word=AUTUMN</a>

I think more people would use the meteorological dates.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    All these people who are talking about false advertising.. perhaps you need to go back and look at the teaser again.

It did not say "Game will be released by Fall 2009". It did not say "Game will be released in Fall 2009". It did not even say "Alpha will be released in Fall 2009"

All it said was "Fall 2009 - Pre-order now"

It may just have meant that we can pre-order until fall 2009, and after that the deal will go away.
    <!--quoteo(post=1734550:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:13 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Oct 30 2009, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Fall 2009 - Pre-order now"

It may just have meant that we can pre-order until fall 2009, and after that the deal will go away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it stated "Pre order now until Fall 2009" your thesis would be pretty good.

But if you watch the teaser again and read everything you will see that the video shows a chain of words:

"Natural Selection II - Fall 2009 - Preorder now".
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734551:date=Oct 30 2009, 12:18 PM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Oct 30 2009, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it stated "Pre order now until Fall 2009" your thesis would be pretty good.

But if you watch the teaser again and read everything you will see that the video shows a chain of words:

"Natural Selection II - Fall 2009 - Preorder now".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're going to multiple screens then are you suggesting that we'll be getting Gabe Newell as well on that date? After all, they list him with a descriptive quote earlier as well. Please.

Obviously the Natural Selection II was the name of the product. We all know that. There was nothing suggesting that that's what was happening in Fall 2009. Hell, it could be just another short movie.. in fact, we already had a short movie.

So these people whining about "Well they promised!" need to try remedial reading comprehension. They gave a date. They promised nothing.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734550:date=Oct 30 2009, 06:13 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Oct 30 2009, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It may just have meant that we can pre-order until fall 2009, and after that the deal will go away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Poppycock.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734505:date=Oct 30 2009, 09:37 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 30 2009, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QUOTE
    Now, Unknown Worlds hopes one of the biggest incentives to spurring preorders is early access starting next month

"OMG!!!"
    to its ambitious proprietary toolset

"oh."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heh. Maybe they'll throw us some Skulk Races while they're at it.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Release dates are a sticky subject among developers but we definitely did not lie. We'll be releasing a lot more info about our progress and schedule in a few hours on our blog.

If anyone wants to cancel their pre-order and get their money back just write me and I'll take care of it for you.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1734570:date=Oct 30 2009, 06:59 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Oct 30 2009, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anyone wants to cancel their pre-order and get their money back just write me and I'll take care of it for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or I'll be more than happy to take any pre-orders you don't want anymore :3
    <!--quoteo(post=1734541:date=Oct 30 2009, 06:48 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 30 2009, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because the prepurchase players will be using Steam's services and I'd assume there is some cost associated with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dunno, mostly Steam just provides an interface (for retail customers anyway) to the game. It's not like Valve has to continuously pay upkeep or maintenance for it.
    Now for sales over Steam there is the issue of bandwidth and storage of customer data, so that makes sense to demand payment for.