Brainstorming some more gamemode's

MxOAgentJohnsonMxOAgentJohnson Join Date: 2009-11-08 Member: 69311Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Read the title silly :D</div>Ok. Ever since i saw this game was getting a sequel i jizzed in my pants. ive been looking at this for about a year now and im happy to see it getting so far.

But i want the community to just do something.

We had the 2 basic gamemodes in NS1. Does anyone think another is recommended

If you look at todays games. They have a wide variety of gamemode's that suit all players. thats why most are still successful.

I've been playing L4D2 and MW2 non-stop for the past few days and ive been looking at the idea's they are implementing into their series.

For instance L4D2 has the Scavenger mode. wich i find really good.

Anyway im getting off-track

Do you think a new gamemode would be good for this game? or do you think stick to the basics?!?!?!

Comments

• TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    MxO? As in, matrix online? <i>Really?</i>
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I like this thread. However... Officially the devs are just going to be working on the main gamemode, and to address the desire for variety they will include plenty of mod support. So what you really what to talk about (regarding new gamemodes) is mods.

That said, I do have like lots of ideas for a mod(s) running in my head but nothing really solid at the moment. Sort of waiting for the game to come out and work from that.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I hope their choices for gamemodes are later
    and more clearly thought out.

I wasn't a big fan of NS:Combat because it splintered the community a bit.
    Gameplay in Combat and upgrades were so extremely different
    from the regular NS that I found myself explaining it to players
    in the middle of the game multiple times.

"How do i upgrade my gun?"
    "You don't the commander gives it to you"

Any gamemode should change the goals without changing the basic mechanics.
    Bases, tech trees, resource allocation.

As far as ideas go...
    I would like to see a gamemode which swapped the invading party.
    Let the marines build 3 bases in known locations to complete the game.
    Let the aliens decide which of these areas to occupy first.

I would like to see a gamemode that required the progression from one area to another.
    Something that forced both the aliens and marines to build another base
    move to it disassemble the old base. Multiple times.
    Maybe flooding of sections of the map would be motivation.
    Or an area decompressing throwing everyone on that level out into the cold of space.
    This is something that would happen in a game of NS usually for subterfuge reasons.
    Such a gamemode would train people how to do it in a timely manner.

I would like to see a gamemode where the tech tree moves backward as time goes on.
    No resources are generated so for pure maintentance buying weapons for a rush, upgrades for a rush.
    BOTH commanders would have to make painful sacrifices to their tree
    to spread some loving cash amongst their troops.
    Perhaps sacrificing a more expensive upgrade a commander could purchase back a cheaper upgrade previously
    sacrificed albeit for a brief window of time.
    Perhaps the beginning of the round would have a certain amount of points that allow commanders to choose their starting trees.

I would like to see a gamemode where if the round ends in a tie
    the battlefield is cleared except for two players (stripped of upgrades)
    and those two players fight to the death.
    Even better both sides get to vote for who that last person is.
  • fr0st2kfr0st2k Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28210Members
    I know i probably sound like a CS fanboy...and i kind of am. Those were the best years of my life (hey ...i'll admit, i enjoyed CS then more than I enjoy sex now...it was so much more gratifying, and it didn't feel like work.....................joke!)

But i personally loved how CS(NS too) did the cs_ as_ de_ map types. Unlike MW2, UC2, HALO, etc...each map had its own particular type. This means I dont have to select, "deathmatch" or "CTF" before i enter a server. Due to the fact that NS2 will ship with modding capabilities, different types should be popping up throughout its lifetime.

I guess what im saying is the most important thing is that new map types should be tacked onto a servers map rotation.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited November 2009
    If NS2 is using Steamworks for auto-patching, then release one really game mode for starters and worry about others down the line.

Better one really good classic mode first than to have one "fairly good" mode and a few mediocre ones.

Myself, I pretty much stopped playing when it was all Combat maps. It didn't really feel right.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738303:date=Nov 19 2009, 07:37 PM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Nov 19 2009, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Myself, I pretty much stopped playing when it was all Combat maps. It didn't really feel right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can still find a few Classic servers when I fire it up on occasion.