Natural Selection 2 News Update - ...and we all fall down

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2009
    I am so angry right now, you have no right to do experiments like this on Gorgy!

I have dispatched my minions, you shall all remain <i>cookieless</i> <b>and</b> <i>joyless</i> this Christmas! I'll leave bags of salt in their place!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744193:date=Dec 18 2009, 08:05 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 18 2009, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Motion blur? Nice<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Motion blur? I hope we can turn it off.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    haha, very nice video guys. Was great ;D
  • INKEDOUTINKEDOUT Join Date: 2007-06-23 Member: 61343Members
    LOL! Nice vid :)

I like the way "IT George's Death Scene" is one of the results... Gorge clown skin anyone? (With clown/party hat of course)
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    YOU SICK B*******!!

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THIS!!
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    You guys better make the gorge awesome to play. I actually seriously want to main-class it. :O
  • surprisesurprise Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12382Members, Constellation
    Poor gorgies, how can you do that to them? :-(
    Cuteness will prevail! :-)
  • AkyoAkyo Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69569Members
    Its really nice to see the site updating often now, and with all the Spark SDK News/Updates, Cinematic Editor reveals or some funny news. :)
    How could you not like more news about our favourite expected game?

So every news is nice and please keep on even more! :)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want a full circle of those and the camera turning a bit for each kill, until its at the start again - with a new row of gorges!!

ENDLESS OVERKILL
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    It's those stubby little legs I tell you!
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    "Gorges just wanna have fun." Also apparently they just wanna play dominoes. Makes me wanna see if we can make a silly video for ESF for a Christmas update :P
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    Just ignore the naysayers. You guys need to have your fun too, else you lose productivity. :P
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
  • PsYcH0_Ch!cKeNPsYcH0_Ch!cKeN Join Date: 2009-12-11 Member: 69601Members
    Gorgies noooooooooo! D:
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • KazbarKazbar Join Date: 2004-10-20 Member: 32368Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://kotaku.com/5429658/2010-the-year-of-better-pc-games/gallery/" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5429658/2010-the-year-of...-games/gallery/</a>

Kotaku lists NS2 in their list of games to look for in 2010. That's something to be happy about.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    For serials I assume this took all of 10 mins to whip up. The games ETA would not have been changed by some little video.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Looks like motion blur is in. :)

<!--quoteo(post=1744205:date=Dec 18 2009, 09:08 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Dec 18 2009, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Motion blur? I hope we can turn it off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why would you want to turn it off?
  • clickclick Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67782Members
    awww...poor little gorgies. Next time do the wave with onoses. That should be fun to watch.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    Although there's nothing wrong with gorgies, i hope there will be a 'real' update coming up next, regarding the game developement.

Little bit too much of editor/creation stuff for my liking.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744508:date=Dec 21 2009, 07:28 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Dec 21 2009, 07:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you want to turn it off?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate the effect itself; I never found it cool. I find it equivalent to a 12 year old who just figured out how to do a lens flare in photoshop. It also lowers performance and makes my environment harder to see which interferes with me killing things which annoys me.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744517:date=Dec 21 2009, 05:21 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Dec 21 2009, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate the effect itself; I never found it cool. I find it equivalent to a 12 year old who just figured out how to do a lens flare in photoshop. It also lowers performance and makes my environment harder to see which interferes with me killing things which annoys me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then you probably mean you hate badly-executed motion blur: the effect is the sole reason movies work, and you do get it in real life.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744518:date=Dec 21 2009, 09:25 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Dec 21 2009, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then you probably mean you hate badly-executed motion blur: the effect is the sole reason movies work, and you do get it in real life.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you consider the motion blur in TF2 and L4D badly-executed, then I guess so.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1744518:date=Dec 21 2009, 10:25 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Dec 21 2009, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then you probably mean you hate badly-executed motion blur: the effect is the sole reason movies work, and you do get it in real life.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur" target="_blank">Incorrect</a>, it's common misconceptions like these that result in games being riddled with lens flarey-effects such as bloom, HDR, motion blur, and depth-of-field. Like motion blur, mention "bloom" on a gaming forum and you'll here all the same concoctions as to how"it models real-life". No it doesn't - both motion blur and bloom model the attempts of an inferior <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_%28shader_effect%29" target="_blank">camera lens</a> to adjust to changes in light, not the much more superior lens of the human eye. No, my world doesn't turn into a hazy smear every time I move my head and no I don't see white fuzzy sheep everywhere when I go from dark to light, so unless you're producing a game that is meant to be played as if it were a movie shot with an average-to-poor quality camera, then yes, putting these render-expensive effects in simply for the "cool" factor shares all the same qualities with how a 12-year old girl might act after just discovering lens flare.
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1744511:date=Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM:name=blackpiranha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackpiranha @ Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although there's nothing wrong with gorgies, i hope there will be a 'real' update coming up next, regarding the game developement.

Little bit too much of editor/creation stuff for my liking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um. It <i>is</i> game development. Since deciding on their own engine, I imagine that UWE is dependent upon updates to the <i>game</i> editors and other <i>game</i> creation software. Otherwise... no game.

No one ever said game development was sexy. Though it does have its moments. ;)
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    how can someone be so cruel?!?!
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744590:date=Dec 22 2009, 04:18 AM:name=Skipjack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skipjack @ Dec 22 2009, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how can someone be so cruel?!?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how can someone be so innocent?!?!
  • JohnCarterofMarsJohnCarterofMars Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9184Members
    nom nom nom gorge bellies for breakfast. could i get it thick sliced and some sausage and gravy for my gorge biscuits??

NOM NOM NOM
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744173:date=Dec 17 2009, 10:19 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Dec 17 2009, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, some of you guys are so joyless. Seriously. The "time wasting" was in fact a test scene put together as a timing test, a necessary test so one of our programmers can figure out some important information on making the game better. The rest of us saw it, and thought it was humorous, and convinced him to record it out so we could post it for our community.

And, yes, the deaths are going to be handled with ragdolls, however we would like to add some personality to the deaths, as well, so we will most likely use a combination of some sort.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Blarg, I hate NS2, and I am a humorless monster, I wish death and curses upon you! death and curses!

No, to be honest I thought it was probably something like that, I made the post more to complain about the PR ramifications than to complain about the game. The video is humorous, but it probably shouldn't have been a frontpage post. Stuff on the frontpage shouldn't have to be explained in more than a couple dozen words, and should show off something impressive. If I'm gonna show a friend NS2, I really like using the alien showcase videos or screenshots from the spark thread... A video like this fits more into the "weird" category. It's not showing gameplay, it's not showing any feature that hasn't already been better shown off by another video, it's easy enough to be taken out of context. Your average fan will look at it and say "what the hell am I watching?" It's not scripted to unveil any plot, it's just a redundant tech demo.

That isn't to say that I, as a fan, don't appreciate the fact that you guys are being inclusive of us and being very transparent with the whole development process, the critique I'm making is just to be careful of what content you're posting where. Front page posts are best off really showing off the best of the best, alot of new fans will only browse the front page, and the front page is the first stop when someone wants to show off what you guys are doing to a friend unfamiliar with the project or something. That video would have been perfect for a forum post, with a little blurb on why the video was scripted. Similar to how alot of the WIP map stuff doesn't get thrown up into a screenshot section somewhere on the frontpage, because it's not really ready to be shown as teaser content yet, but to those who are interested in the process of development it's still interesting content to see.

Sorry if I'm seeming anal, but PR matters, I critique because I care :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1745012:date=Dec 28 2009, 08:58 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 28 2009, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, to be honest I thought it was probably something like that, I made the post more to complain about the PR ramifications than to complain about the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the clarification on your comments, and it makes it easier to see where you are coming from now. I agree, its certainly not a big deal PR event, but the front page news was never intended to be just posts with large PR ramifications. We always intended it to be more of a developer blog, a behind the scenes look at what goes into the creation of a game, in addition to a place to reveal big newsworthy items.

Originally we had much more behind the scenes kind of posts, but due to lack of time on our end to keep it frequently updated, and as a result of having more big ticket news items, such as the editor release, alien reveals, etc., to share, it's moved away from our roots a bit. And now people expect more from each news post, and are disappointed if we just put up some concept art, for example, so that also keeps us from posting more frequently.

Putting the right amount of effort into the right amount of PR is a tricky balance, and made doubly so by our lack of having a dedicated PR person/company.

And, next time around I'll try to make sure to add a smiley face or something after my comments, because I didn't intend the "joyless" remark to come out as harsh sounding as it did : )

--Cory