Steam required?

2»

Comments

• ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746350:date=Jan 8 2010, 10:00 PM:name=derailed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derailed @ Jan 8 2010, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh ok. that sucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I must agree with this.
    Worst thing ist that a linux version is very unlikely now.

But how exactly will it require steam. Do i just have to have steam installed, or do i need an account. And if yes, will ns2 be bound to this account?

I already have 2 accounts but i hate how games are bound to them permanently.
    And also keep in mind that accounts are often hacked or phished.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1746496:date=Jan 9 2010, 01:10 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jan 9 2010, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You forget that for sure more than 1% of the preorders come from people that preordered because it was stated that NS2 will have linux and mac support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been following NS2's development pretty closely but I do not remember any developer confirming linux/mac support. The closest I can fin is from <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=104522&st=40" target="_blank">this</a> thread where Charlie says:
    <!--quoteo(post=1684238:date=Jul 22 2008, 04:20 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jul 22 2008, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1684238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't be surprised if we supported Linux. The question is really timing. We have so much to do I'm not sure we would prioritize this with the release of 1.0.

Doing just the dedicated server for Linux would be a lot easier and might be the right thing to do right out of the gate. Later we can (and <b>likely </b>will) port all over the place. This is one of the big advantages with have over using something like Source.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So it is likely, but not official. So if people have been pre-ordering with the certainty of a mac/linux version, then they understood something wrong, unless of course I missed something. If so, then please show me this statement from the team.

<!--quoteo(post=1746535:date=Jan 9 2010, 04:23 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Jan 9 2010, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Worst thing ist that a linux version is very unlikely now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it is "less likely" than before since they seem to have been implanting Steamworks for quite some time now (months, years?)

<!--quoteo(post=1746535:date=Jan 9 2010, 04:23 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Jan 9 2010, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I already have 2 accounts but i hate how games are bound to them permanently.
    And also keep in mind that accounts are often hacked or phished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the event that the game is tied to the account, you could always create a new account and activate NS2 on it so it is not "bound" to any other of your games. As for hacking/phishing, it's hardly Steam's fault if you let a keylogger onto your system or choose a weak password. Steam's support team has also been doing a great job at retrieving your account in cases like these provided you send them a proof of purchase of one of your games.

At any rate, mac/linux support would come post 1.0, so I think it'll be a matter of whether the game sells well or not. So if we want a port, we should first and foremost support the initial release.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Steam Games I have found so far are cheaper to buy in retail.
    Left 4 Dead 2 is £27 on Play.com, £30 on Steam.
    Its the same case for most of the games on there I have found.
    It is more likely that you may buy NS2 from somewhere else if the prices are going to be significantly different from buying stright from UWE.

I would not worry about weather or not NS2 is sold on steam or not .
    If it's run on steam then fine, I like using steam for server browsing and connecting.
    I dont like buying games off it except when there is a real good deal on or I cant wait for 3 day delivery.

One thing I would like to own is a hard copy of the game, I would like to own a retailed copy just for that iconic case and manual, unlike any other hard copy, this one would be special i think.
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    My guess is that a mac version will not contain steam works (so no steam cloud, achievements or access to in game community features.)

Ideally, this, and other similar situations, would pressure valve into creating a steam 'lite' that was cross platform. This light version would contain access to the above features and maybe an update service.
  • billownzbillownz Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70061Members
    edited January 2010
    I was going to start a new thread, but this seems to be the place.

If I were to pre purchase and NS2 eventually did go through steam - would I be able to play via steam in the future? (without re purchasing) Its a nice platform and I would hate to be separated from my friends.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1746798:date=Jan 11 2010, 10:30 AM:name=billownz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billownz @ Jan 11 2010, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to start a new thread, but this seems to be the place.

If I were to pre purchase and NS2 eventually did go through steam - would I be able to play via steam in the future? (without re purchasing) Its a nice platform and I would hate to be separated from my friends.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has been answered before, they aren't sure if the pre-purchases will port to the Steam Version. Depends on VALVE I think, we should know when the release date gets closer (whenever that is).
  • billownzbillownz Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70061Members
    The next question is, will the servers be linked? I know that it is possible considering unreal successfully did this
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The features available via <a href="http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php" target="_blank">Steamworks</a> are:
    1. Persistent identity (registered/authenticated users)
    2. Voice communication
    3. Steam community (groups, friends, etc)
    4. Anti-cheat
    5. In-game downloadable content
    6. Pre-game lobby and team selection

Looking at this list, only #1 and #2 stand out as very important. That said, UW could set up their own user account system to cover #1, at least for the short term. #2 is a bit harder, unless they use a 3rd party stopgap. I don't know if anyone would be willing to play without voice just to play on their Mac.
  • StephanBothaStephanBotha Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67637Members
    I concur,

Steam is an excellent platform to run MP games from. Even the terribly stupid P2P CoD:MW2 its so easy to get friends to join by clicking a button that invites them and boom, they're in your lobby.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Are there even statistics about linux gamers?

Sure, linux servers are very common but as for the playerbase, meh.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    it really depends, it's hard to tell like that.

For example, 5% of the quake live users are linux gamers.

But lugaru, the predecessor to overgrowth, has 50% of its sales because of linux + mac (linux is like 90% of those 50%, see the link i posted earlier).

So the point is, there are linux gamers, and even more important, they are very willing to pay for a good game, simply because there are not that many out there for linux. Besides of the huge PR boost you get when supporting linux+mac, which is important for a indie game.