Builder issues...

StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
I'm trying to compile some PSD files that I know worked with the pre-steam version.

<b>So in the builder I create a new game:</b>
Name: mygame
Output Dir: ...steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2 (should I have ns2\mygame here? I've tried both anyway.)

<b>Then I run Builder. Load Setup. Settings:</b>
Source Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop\Editing\NS2\mygame (has materialsrc/modelsrc inside)

<b>Now when I go to Build, for every PSD file in materialsrc I get:</b>
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

These files all worked pre-steam. I have .material files for all of them in materialsrc. The .material files build fine and so do .DAE files.

I've followed all instructions here:
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Builder" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Builder</a>
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Importing_Custom_Textures" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...Custom_Textures</a>

Comments

• StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    I still need help with this. Anyone else imported a texture since the move to Steam?

I can save a .dds from PS straight to the ns2/materials folder but I get a weird checkerboard pattern ontop of it.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787090:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:31 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Jul 27 2010, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Name: mygame
    Output Dir: ...steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2 (should I have ns2\mygame here? I've tried both anyway.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

try "...steamapps\common\natural selection 2\mygame"
    I tried that aswell but it doesn't work.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited August 2010
    Maybe the Builder does not like Spaces? : "Documents and Settings" - try moving the "Editing" folder to C:\

If you are making a mod then your source dir should be pointing to: <b>editing\mygame</b>
    and your destination should be: <b>steamapps\common\natural selection 2\mygame</b>

if you are not making a mod the source folder should be: <b>editing\ns2</b>
    Destination: <b>steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2</b>
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'm getting this issue too, destination is to [..]natural selection\ns2, and source is at a folder in the C:\ drive, but the only thing I could think of was the fact that I have "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files" But then I saw that in their screenshot showing how to do it, that was where they were doing it, too
    so I don't get it.
    You can work around it by just saving the DDS's yourself to the folder.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I found a work-around, but it's retarded.

So open up builder_setup.xml, and add

"<option name="utils_dir" description="Path to /utils/" type="path" />"

in the <options> tag, then when you load it in builder.exe, find the "/utils/" folder that houses "nvcompress.exe" which is what the problem is, builder wasn't knowing what "utils_dir" was.

now when you load it, and open the settings on builder and you'll have a new line, "Path to /utils/", and add that full path, should be similar to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\utils"

Works for me now.
  • RmkzRmkz Join Date: 2010-02-03 Member: 70419Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792638:date=Aug 7 2010, 05:18 AM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Aug 7 2010, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I found a work-around, but it's retarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the tip !
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Forgot to update builder_setup.xml in 151 patch. There is a couple of things missing.
  • MissyMissy Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11246Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792638:date=Aug 7 2010, 05:18 PM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Aug 7 2010, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I found a work-around, but it's retarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    bless you and your retarded work-around :D
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Anyone have a work around to get the builder to get FMOD files into the sounds. output shows it skips the files.