Should teams produce a minimum of res? + shotgun damage on rts

GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
Well I've had it a couple of times now that I have been on a team and the last rt got killed. I usually have this on allien team because of the high shotgun damage to alien resource towers.

I would reduce the damage of shotguns to recource towers and I would give both teams a minimum of res/min. Even if its only like 1 every 30 secs, it would at least give them a fighting chance instead of just waiting until the end is finally there...

What do you guys think?

Comments

• PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It is hard to recover if you're down with little to no res.

Perhaps kills should reward res so at least you have some other form of resource? The minimum res would help too.
  • broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827762:date=Jan 27 2011, 09:21 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Jan 27 2011, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is hard to recover if you're down with little to no res.

<b>Perhaps kills should reward res so at least you have some other form of resource</b>? The minimum res would help too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I seriously am not a fan of marines receiving res-for-kills. Skulks shouldn't be punished for suicide rushing!! :P

Also, if you've lost your last RT, chances are you're outgunned, and res-for-kills is going to help your enemy more than it will help you.

I feel a better solution would be to have command consoles/hives producing a small amount of resources, independent of what any towers may produce.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    You got outplayed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1827774:date=Jan 27 2011, 09:45 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 27 2011, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You got outplayed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

honestly yeah, you should always have at least one resource tower or you're getting outplayed and will lose the game shortly.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Incompetent or unfortunate commander unfortunately.

However, I have this sort of desire that when a res node is destroyed it spills out resources that evaporate over a period of a minute. If a Build Bot or Gorge/Drifter is near by, they can pick it up by walking through the haze (like bees) and return to the nearest friendly res node to deliver stock. Hehe.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I know what he means, as a marine I often ninja harvesters, which is very easy to do actually. If it was a larger game and you synchronized such an attack the results would be devastating.

I like the minimum res gain, altough I think it should exist in the form of hive's and cc's generating resources, slowly. Just something so that they can still rebuild, as chances are that the rines killed all harvesters but aliens still have 3 hives (I did this twice during one game, using sg ;D), and that alien comm just spent his resources elsewhere.

Something along the lines of 1 res/minute per hive/cc or similar.

I am also for the plasma for kill idea, I have been since it was first suggested (by the devs in a pre alpha vid iirc). Maybe about 1 plasma/kill and 5 for buildings or similar.
    <!--quoteo(post=1827803:date=Jan 27 2011, 12:12 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jan 27 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know what he means, as a marine I often ninja harvesters, which is very easy to do actually. If it was a larger game and you synchronized such an attack the results would be devastating.

I like the minimum res gain, altough I think it should exist in the form of hive's and cc's generating resources, slowly. Just something so that they can still rebuild, as chances are that the rines killed all harvesters but aliens still have 3 hives (I did this twice during one game, using sg ;D), and that alien comm just spent his resources elsewhere.

Something along the lines of 1 res/minute per hive/cc or similar.

I am also for the plasma for kill idea, I have been since it was first suggested (by the devs in a pre alpha vid iirc). Maybe about 1 plasma/kill and 5 for buildings or similar.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is plasma what you use to buy weapons and evolutions? i'm pretty sure that's already implemented. we are talking about team res per kill.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Plasma is personal res, and I to thought it was implemented, but ns2hd said otherwise in one of his latest vids, and I havent rly checked.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    On the one hand I agree that it's frustrating if your income gets cripped and you are unable to place a new extractor anymore. On the marine side you can try to make a comeback by simply recycling structures gaining the res for a new once, on the alien side you're bound to try to make the best of what's left. In that context not having a recycle option for the aliens is kind of a disadvantage.

On the other hand, I also see it as a tactical failure. If you allow the other side to kill all your precious harvesters or extractors this should be punished. Such a situation isn't uncommon in other RTS games aswell. Crippeling the supply line is and should usually be a game ender.
    everytime you kill a structure or an alien you get +2 and +4 etc. is that a placeholder?
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1827801:date=Jan 27 2011, 12:05 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jan 27 2011, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However, I have this sort of desire that when a res node is destroyed it spills out resources that evaporate over a period of a minute. If a Build Bot or Gorge/Drifter is near by, they can pick it up by walking through the haze (like bees) and return to the nearest friendly res node to deliver stock. Hehe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This gives me an idea. Say MACs/drifters had the ability to 'sip' on resource nozzles of course much slower than an RT and also because of how weak they are they can be killed off really easily. This would allow res to be collected slowly but obviously be much more beneficial to actually have RTs instead of a MAC/drifter trying to harvest a tiny portion of res without getting killed. Not really sure how I feel about it haven't thought it through completely but sounds a bit better than a res for kill solution.

Or you can just play with people who know enough to not let all of their RTs get killed... :p
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1827815:date=Jan 27 2011, 01:35 PM:name=broadband)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broadband @ Jan 27 2011, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->everytime you kill a structure or an alien you get +2 and +4 etc. is that a placeholder?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's either points or personal res. There's no team res given for killing things yet iirc
    <!--quoteo(post=1827821:date=Jan 27 2011, 12:43 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jan 27 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's either points or personal res. There's no team res given for killing things yet iirc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, was referring to personal res. lol this game has points, that's funny.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is a bigger problem in B162 because shotguns are so good at everything now. However, I'd like to see one of the following.

1. When you have no extractors/harvestors, you can place one for free

or

2. If you lose all of your extractors/harvestors and don't have 15 tres to rebuild, you automatically lose.

I've played in a few rounds so far where the aliens have lost all their extractors and don't have the 15 tres to rebuild them. They've basically lost, but the match can still go one for 15-20 minutes before the marines actually win. They either need a way to make a comeback (option 1) or to lose immediately (option 2).
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    If you run out of res for nodes you can recycle something to get more, right? I can see it being a problem for the alien comm though.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1827847:date=Jan 27 2011, 03:38 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 27 2011, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a bigger problem in B162 because shotguns are so good at everything now. However, I'd like to see one of the following.

1. When you have no extractors/harvestors, you can place one for free

or

2. If you lose all of your extractors/harvestors and don't have 15 tres to rebuild, you automatically lose.

I've played in a few rounds so far where the aliens have lost all their extractors and don't have the 15 tres to rebuild them. They've basically lost, but the match can still go one for 15-20 minutes before the marines actually win. They either need a way to make a comeback (option 1) or to lose immediately (option 2).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If rule 1 applied only to the alien team, I think it'd be worth at least testing. But you're right, if the aliens lose all their res nodes and have nothing to rebuild them with, it might as well just be game over there.
    To compare, NS1 didn't quite have this problem, because a player could sneak a few kills for res, morph to gorge, and drop a res node.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just add alien recycle. That would allow the aliens to sell other stuff to build an RT.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1827847:date=Jan 27 2011, 02:38 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 27 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. If you lose all of your extractors/harvestors and don't have 15 tres to rebuild, you automatically lose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would vote for this.
    You lose all your res nodes and can't build new ones = FAIL.
    It is a simplistic start but could be elaborated on later.

One of my favorite RTS's is Company Of Heroes because it declares the game over without having to destroy every single artifact of the opposing team.
    Makes failing a less drawn out painful process and allows you to play another game.

NS2 should have more to its game end logic to prevent the feeling of
    "Just kill us already ...I will hold still"
    <!--quoteo(post=1827856:date=Jan 27 2011, 04:06 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 27 2011, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just add alien recycle. That would allow the aliens to sell other stuff to build an RT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would agree with you strictly from a balance perspective, but that would also further degrade the uniqueness of each team. It's just my opinion, of course, but I'd rather see a unique solution for the alien side.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1827858:date=Jan 27 2011, 03:07 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jan 27 2011, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would agree with you strictly from a balance perspective, but that would also further degrade the uniqueness of each team. It's just my opinion, of course, but I'd rather see a unique solution for the alien side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, we wanna keep asynchronous balance. hive team resource regen (very slowly) would be good for the time being.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    We don't RFK back. That was one of the worst aspects of the current NS. Allows good players to become even more dominant by the fact that they effectively always have the best equipment. Thus it's more about having a superstar on your team than team dynamic.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Agreed , the slippery slope is bad. I like the idea of gorges acting as emergency low efficiency harvesters , which means they can also be ninjaed like the RTs themselves. In order to not bore the player to death , it'd have to be burst fire (harvesting a chunk of res takes all stamina + cooldown before it starts regenerating) instead of continuous extraction.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like two Ideas mentioned here earlier.

The first that MACs and drifter can collect resources.
    Maybe 30sec = 1 Teamres per MAC/drifter on a resnode (and only one "worker" can harvest Res per node)

or, like someone else posted:
    recycle for alien structures to keep the the balance of the races and the Aliens can eventual,ly recycle their second hive to get enough res for a new RT.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    the damage of the shotgun is right
    you need defend your structures

I agree the alien should be able to recycle
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    I believe the problem is caused by the game's slow carbon harvest rate.

In most RTS games, worker units are cheap, and a team (or player) can gather resources as long as he has one worker and one base. Should a resource gathering base fall under attack, the team can usually preserve some of their workers by fleeing.

In NS2 however, it takes an Extractor/Harvester 3 minutes to pay for itself. Marines can recycle Extractors. But currently, it is rarely done, as commanders tend to be over optimistic. Aliens, on the other hand, need a new (unique) method to recuperate some of the cost of the Harvester before it is destroyed.

I would also suggest that building HP be scaled according to team size. They fall much too quickly in larger games, and carbon can becomes very scarce.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    alien minimaps should have what ns1 had. You will hear sound, your res tower attack attack, you open up your minimap and see flashing RT - this means everyone will now head there.

two things might be wrong with the shotgun, one either alien armor not working correctly or it is just too strong. I remember having armor 3 and being 1shotted.
    can we put crystals in the game and then the drifters and mac's can collect them and bring them back to the hive!? :):)

i'm sure they're adding the structure under attack sounds and the flashing on the minimap. you can already see it on hive sight.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    They could also add "gold" double income res nodes near the middle of the map, to create more action in the middle of the map.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aliens need some sort of "recycle" ability...even if it doesn't give you any resources back. The main problem I've run into is that if you place a crag or hydra too close to a RT, there is no way to put a harvester there and you have to hope a marine comes in, kills them, but not the rest of your base. It doesn't have to work the same way as marines...be creative and find some other mechanic.