Alien Health Regeneration

Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
Not sure if this has already been posted (Too lazy to look) and also I do not currently own NS2 (Planning on a future purchase) but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to give Aliens health for killing marines. I pretty much stole this idea from AvP but I think it would be interesting to see how this would work instead of a trickle regeneration. It wouldn't have to be a full health boost but just a little bit (Maybe 5 or 6 points). Just an idea I would like to entertain to y'all.

Thanks,

DBB

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Skulks will have the "Bloodthirst" upgrade. I wonder if that will have the effect you described. Or perhaps it will give increased attack and movement speed instead. Only time will tell.

The current alien regen is rather too slow. It takes minutes to regenerate on DI, and even resting next to a Hive or a Crag takes a good 10 seconds or so.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Skulk's Feed upgrade is said to give health for feeding on Marine corpses, if the ragdolls didn't disappear so quickly :P
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited March 2011
    might as well adapt ns1 co maps /xmenu ideas

bloodlust/hunger anyone? :D
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1838116:date=Mar 21 2011, 11:53 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 21 2011, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks will have the "Bloodthirst" upgrade. I wonder if that will have the effect you described. Or perhaps it will give increased attack and movement speed instead. Only time will tell.

The current alien regen is rather too slow. It takes minutes to regenerate on DI, and even resting next to a Hive or a Crag takes a good 10 seconds or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This gives rise to the role of the Gorge.
    A coordinated attack can last a long period away from hive if you have Gorge on infested area at the forefront of the offensive, especially if died assasins are visiting the hive command to bring fourth crag, DI etc.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1838118:date=Mar 20 2011, 07:13 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 20 2011, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk's Feed upgrade is said to give health for feeding on Marine corpses, if the ragdolls didn't disappear so quickly :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulk (pouncing on the dead Marine): The carcass! The carcass! Nooooo! Now I have to find another corpse to feed on...

I have an idea that puts a twist on regeneration for Skulks -- What if Skulks gain an upgrade to revive themselves on the spot, a few seconds after being killed? Each Skulk would essentially have two lives, making them more deadly lategame, when Skulk life expectancy is that of an 100 meter sprint.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Another suggestion only applying to skulks:

The regeneration upgrade is applied manually. What I mean is the skulk goes into the evolve menu and selects "regenerate", pops into an egg for for just a few seconds depending on damage and then comes out fully healed. This only works if you have evolved the regen upgrade previously, it could just as well boost the normal health regeneration like it did in NS1. Skulks are so fragile even when at full health so some extra choices to running home or to crags/gorges wouldn't hurt much.

This allows skulks to use their advantage to hide in vents for something else than sneaking up on marines. It also allows skulks to heal at front lines, but with a risk as they have to gestate in an egg, completely defenseless.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1838118:date=Mar 21 2011, 02:13 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 21 2011, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk's Feed upgrade is said to give health for feeding on Marine corpses, if the ragdolls didn't disappear so quickly :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The ragdolls dissapearing is just because (I think) they cause lag if there is too many.

Skulks Feed upgrade would be awesome. It is planned isn't it?
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1838119:date=Mar 20 2011, 10:31 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 20 2011, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->might as well adapt ns1 co maps /xmenu ideas

bloodlust/hunger anyone? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't give a ###### about xmenu and you shouldn't taint this topic with such a discussion. I'm just saying I think it would be a good idea to have Aliens feed off Humans to gain health. It seems that from a heavily organic/biological dependent species this may make sense (As opposed to the Marine who are highly tech dependent.)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1838659:date=Mar 24 2011, 11:49 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 24 2011, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ragdolls dissapearing is just because (I think) they cause lag if there is too many.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought it was because certain countries have stupid game rating systems, which could effectively ban the game in that country for showing "corpses". In an attempt to cater to the largest audience possible, they were removed.
  • ChrisJustinParrChrisJustinParr Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1838661:date=Mar 24 2011, 07:09 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Mar 24 2011, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it was because certain countries have stupid game rating systems, which could effectively ban the game in that country for showing "corpses". In an attempt to cater to the largest audience possible, they were removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're just sleeping. Problem solved. Can someone remind me why I am not lead developer yet?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Gore =/= Corpses.

Those countries take issue with <b>excessive</b> blood, gore or sexual content, because they don't have R18+ ratings. That's all. Corpses are just corpses, until they start exploding into bloody gibs and painting the walls in red, we're in the safe zone.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Check the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Skulk" target="_blank">Wiki</a>. Skulk upgrades include Feed, Carapace, and Bloodthirst.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i would be funny to watch: onos charges in a room, kills three marines -> skulks leap in from all sides and eat the corpes, like greedy, hungry dogs :D