Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Please hire anyone right now. The development needs to start being sped up, it's going at a snail speed right now :(
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hire Schimmel. Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems he can implement more features in a day than UWE can do in a month.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1870694:date=Aug 23 2011, 01:33 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Aug 23 2011, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, i hope this has nothing to do with the fact that there are no new technical tasks D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't worry, we haven't lost anybody.
    <!--quoteo(post=1870719:date=Aug 23 2011, 04:02 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 23 2011, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hire Schimmel. Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems he can implement more features in a day than UWE can do in a month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Schimmel is helping us out with some stuff. And yes, we can't help but take that the wrong way.

--Cory
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I know I wasn't being entirely fair, as Schimmel doesn't have to create new artwork/animations, but he still gets an impressive amount of work done in a short amount of time.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I personally like some of the ideas in his mod, not everything but his mod is wonderful. Schimmel, you need to make list of all the ideas in the mod, go through each one of them to see which are most reasonable, and sense able to be in the official game.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the big difference is that I'm not afraid to break the game or produce serious bugs. I don't have a companies name to lose and I don't care so much about coding standards (that does not mean I ignore them) when I "rush out" some features. there is alot more refactoring and thinking done at uwe which I don't do at that scale when prototyping stuff . Also, I'm coding only features. I fixed only 2 bugs and no single line was written down by me to improve performance, which is quite poor considering the time I spent already on ns2 lua code :D (exluding the bugs here which I produced myself and fixed)

And before making such statements, you should check the lua files. uwe has done an insane amount of coding already (and alot of stuff is disabled). I have big respect for their work
    edited August 2011
    Yep, I've looked at the code. UWE has certainly done a ton of work. It's certainly much easier to add a few lines of code or modify what they did and show off the final product than to build it all yourself.

It's just frustrating seeing things so close to being done, but not live. Catpacks, for example, look to be 90% done and would help balance the game greatly, but aren't live yet.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1870694:date=Aug 23 2011, 06:33 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Aug 23 2011, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, i hope this has nothing to do with the fact that there are no new technical tasks D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Something broke with our Pivotal Tracker Engine project when we upgraded our account, which is why nothing is showing up on the website. I haven't had the time to look into it because I've been really busy working on technical tasks :P
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1870756:date=Aug 23 2011, 05:57 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 23 2011, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something broke with our Pivotal Tracker Engine project when we upgraded our account, which is why nothing is showing up on the website. I haven't had the time to look into it because I've been really busy working on technical tasks :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And here I thought you were sitting in the corner with a martini laughing maniacally as the rest of the team furiously coded. <3
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    Frustration because you're excited for how this game will turn out does not justify making cruel sarcasms at how much work UWE do on their project. You're just hurting what you want the most.

Having worked on a long term project, its a huge change from doing some short term fixes. You need to pace yourself not to burn out, work on different tasks to keep up productivity and interest. As a result, lots of things get half done, then reworked etc. You'l find that progress will come in big blocks as the team finalises several features/fixes at once, rather than a continous chain of updates. This can be alleviated the more people you have working on something as it can be passed on when someone loses the focus for a large task.

UWE doesn't have this luxury but still achieve amazing amounts of work, and you can notice the cycles in which a whole bunch of new things/tasks are complete. Adapt to this cycle rather than expecting big changes each patch and getting frustrated at the team.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    "Had a fun playtest with the new Lerk and his crop-dusting spores. It worked well, hoping to release a patch tomorrow. #fb"

Niiiice :D
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just finished an awesome epic game of Build 185. It's good to go! Patching it up and sending it off. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D

Perfect way to start a BDay!
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1871384:date=Aug 27 2011, 01:57 AM:name=Nixxen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nixxen @ Aug 27 2011, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:D

Perfect way to start a BDay!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

then happy birthday! ;)

Can't wait :D go go go Steam!!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome - is the guy at steam still required to release for the weekend?
  • Hate-and-MaliceHate-and-Malice Join Date: 2006-11-25 Member: 58704Members
    Big patch downloading now for b185 I believe.

Anyone got patch notes somewhere?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Just downloaded, waiting on patch notes too :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    730.3MB, now downloading :D
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871386:date=Aug 27 2011, 02:07 AM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ Aug 27 2011, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then happy birthday! ;)

Can't wait :D go go go Steam!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why, thank you kind sir ^^
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk spikes now have infinite range, to make them more intuitive. Made slightly less accurate to compensate. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Crevice is gonna have a weather change. It's gonna be raining spikes.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just fixed that bug where ammo packs and med packs couldn't be dropped on players. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Excited about that one, its pretty hard trying to predict the marines movements in combat situations. Now go make sure the Assist menu stays open when you drop the medpacks fast with hotkeys ;)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just fixed that bug where ammo packs and med packs couldn't be dropped on players. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ASLKGKJASDJFAKDJS BEST BUGFIX YET!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's time: working on getting the Onos into the game (it won't be in the next patch though) #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does this mean that we will also see a first pass on jetpacks and exosuits in the same patch? Else, it would really screw up balance I think :P
    I don't mind that the patch will take longer to get ready. :)
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    I like the recent tweets even more.

More optimizations and Onos coming in \o/
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Brian put in a cool waypoint indicator: it draws an animated glowing line on the ground showing you where to go! Wanted that for 5+ years.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool, hope it looks how I imagined, made this suggestion <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113770&hl=" target="_blank">A couple of months ago</a>

Can't wait to see it!
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited October 2011
    Just like Deadspace then? I have to admit, the waypointing system works extremely well in that game (how can you get lost following straight lines to your destination?) but there is something about the visual aesthetic I think could be better. The wispy blue pulsating aspect is just fine, but I think the harsh straight line following the map geometry is somehow a detriment to the game visuals. I think it'd be great implemented in the exact same way -- but perhaps someone has an idea to tweak it just a bit?

That's just the feeling I get from it. Somehow a waypointing system like that would work great and be welcomed -- but it somehow annoys me at the same time, if that makes any sense.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Prototyping shaking of environmental lights when an Onos walks/runs by...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>I cannot wait to see this.</b> The ONOS even in NS1 with it's blocky model and blurred textures still leads to some heart stopping moments when you run round a corner and see it charging towards you, and that's after spending over 6 years in and out of the game. I cannot even begin to imagine how much this will amplify in NS2 with the games gorgeous modelling, lighting, sounds and texturing!
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I'd really like the tweet process for the game dev cycle to be 3 posts a day. One at the beginning of the day outlining the major plans of that day's work, one at midday as a quick progress update, any changes, etc, and one final update saying what was accomplished, what must be carried over. Just simple and broad explanations, no need for the details, all we want is a generalization of what's going, will not take more than a minute of anyone's time.

It would include everyone in the loop, preventing the frustration caused by the current update process. It's little things like this that will prevent all the negative feedback UWE is getting with regards to the community's idea of slow progress. No more need for Cory to step in on the forums and figuratively, set people straight, because, those people will not be out of line (so to speak).
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878282:date=Oct 6 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 6 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd really like the tweet process for the game dev cycle to be 3 posts a day. One at the beginning of the day outlining the major plans of that day's work, one at midday as a quick progress update, any changes, etc, and one final update saying what was accomplished, what must be carried over. Just simple and broad explanations, no need for the details, all we want is a generalization of what's going, will not take more than a minute of anyone's time.

It would include everyone in the loop, preventing the frustration caused by the current update process. It's little things like this that will prevent all the negative feedback UWE is getting with regards to the community's idea of slow progress. No more need for Cory to step in on the forums and figuratively, set people straight, because, those people will not be out of line (so to speak).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know how many complainers share my thoughts, but the last thing I'd like to see is more tweets. Twitter, design log, forum posts and progress page all provide more than enough of that lightweight information already.

What's missing is the more solid and heavy stuff. As far as I can read the archives the last time they've sat down and talked anything more seriously is one general Q&A on February. That's roughly nine months ago.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878294:date=Oct 6 2011, 11:06 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 6 2011, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how many complainers share my thoughts, but the last thing I'd like to see is more tweets. Twitter, design log, forum posts and progress page all provide more than enough of that lightweight information already.

What's missing is the more solid and heavy stuff. As far as I can read the archives the last time they've sat down and talked anything more seriously is one general Q&A on February. That's roughly nine months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am referring to what is going on at UWE and where the development process is. Currently that information is not readily available. What we are given, is the progress/design log, along with, forum posts, we are not really getting enough up to date information about the state of the game. Maybe this information is enough for a casual gamer, but the real fans are looking for more.
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    They provide more than enough information for a game that's in development. You guys are just impatient because the updates often get delayed due to unforeseen bugs.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878304:date=Oct 6 2011, 12:32 PM:name=Cerebral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerebral @ Oct 6 2011, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They provide more than enough information for a game that's in development. You guys are just impatient because the updates often get delayed due to unforeseen bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You see, when I read posts like this, I think, if what this guy is saying is true, then the problem that exists, shouldn't exist. So if A supposedly prevents B from happening, and B is still happening, then maybe A isn't working the way you think it is.

I hope this gets the gears working. Ironic nickname btw.