Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 192 released

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1895768:date=Jan 19 2012, 04:38 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Jan 19 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im iffy about the pres being capped at 100. i usually save for atleast 150 pres and that never is enough. putting it up to atleast 150 might be a better idea 100 is a little low. so somewhere between 100-150 might be better.

think about all of the weapons you have to buy or if you are commander for aliens or marines you usually need that extra pres<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget that you get res faster now because of teammates overflowing.
  • bona vacantiabona vacantia Join Date: 2012-01-19 Member: 141241Members
    Just had a quick game and I'm pretty impressed at the performance increase with 191 and 192.

It's still very difficult for aliens to win long games but I hesitate to moan about balance without seeing what the onos will do when introduced.

Fade seems quite weak at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just awful at playing a fade.

I think mines need to be brought back to the level of damage in 191 but either make the cost of the mines pretty onerous, or limit a single marine to x number of active mines; 3 seems reasonable if they are very strong?

Overall, very pleased with the progress made with both patches. Good job UWE.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895783:date=Jan 19 2012, 03:31 PM:name=bona vacantia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bona vacantia @ Jan 19 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade seems quite weak at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just awful at playing a fade.

I think mines need to be brought back to the level of damage in 191 but either make the cost of the mines pretty onerous, or limit a single marine to x number of active mines; 3 seems reasonable if they are very strong?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If this is what you're doing your fine, there are other tactics of course, but these are the basics:
    - Blink in, swipe twice taking out a marine, blink out to regen
    - Blink in, swipe four times vs two marines, blink out to regen (carapace 3, still risky vs a bigger group)

Doing anything different, like staying longer to take out more marines against equally skilled marines is quite difficult and potentially suicidal :)

As far as I'm concerned, mines should just be a deterrence or early warning sign of an alien attack if placed correctly. Marines can then finish what the mine has started if it hit an alien, if not they can position themselves to counter the attack. That is most likely the main idea behind mines. It is probably not intended to be a one shot kill. Besides mines, being tier1 should not counter higher life forms. Especially concerning their cost...
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice! I smell a gather tonight... :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The forced purple blurring when cloaking is a bit excessive, even more when you don't have a choice in when it appears. As the commander can essentially flashbang you with the shade. Played a game gorging around a hive and I was constantly in a state of purple blur.
  • Bobo44Bobo44 Join Date: 2011-11-02 Member: 130749Members
    build 192 is much better then 191/190. much more balanced now.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895762:date=Jan 19 2012, 02:57 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Jan 19 2012, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->reserve Fade velocity when coming out of blink.
    !!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool to see a bit of momentum ! However it's looks to be bugged, mainly vertical momentum is kept and it the all thing feels weird.
  • SliverSliver Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63063Members
    Can someone fill me in on what the Gorilla patch is?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1895816:date=Jan 19 2012, 12:10 PM:name=Sliver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sliver @ Jan 19 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can someone fill me in on what the Gorilla patch is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos, Jetpacks, Mineshaft, Welders.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Increased Mature Whip health/armor from 900/150 to 1,050/175.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<strike>Yay! We can spend longer attacking static defense! Woo! JUST WHAT I WANTED!</strike>

I do not understand this change and would like to know your reasoning behind it. - Inaccurately re-typed by Zaggy, but on that I'd like to re-tag the addition of.. Why do this when in other threads you have said you are trying to move the game away from attacking static defenses? This just endorses the complete and utter opposite and thus, the change in my own opinion makes this change utterly stupid.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2012
    After playing some rounds i can say...very bad changes.
    But finaly i don't want play marines anymore :P

The marines mines are so useless...fade comes blink away and 2 seconds later every mine explode.
    Looks like something is again wrong with hit detection, also skulks sometimes jump into marines model O.o
    I don't know what you change with that, but its bad now.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    Mines are useless now, yeah.

Lerks just don't die. Regeneration is too effective, and they have too much health/armor.

Shotgun still needs a melee alt attack... And it seems like the time between the shots has been increased - too much.

When will UWE finally fix that rifle bug? I died so many times because suddenly the rifle (or even pistol) would not fire or melee.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Lua files auto-reload don't work anymore :(
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    After playing a few rounds, I can tell that mouse lag has become a problem again - maybe even input in general. Also, since 191, settings like r_atmospherics, r_bloom, etc. reset to "on" every round.

<!--quoteo(post=1895822:date=Jan 19 2012, 12:33 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Jan 19 2012, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><strike>Yay! We can spend longer attacking static defense! Woo! JUST WHAT I WANTED!</strike>

I do not understand this change and would like to know your reasoning behind it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it has to do with the balancing the choice between upgrading a whip versus building a second whip. It's almost always a better choice to build 2 whips instead of one mature whip because you get more combined health and damage. As much as I dislike static defenses in general, I think it's a good change.
  • Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895786:date=Jan 19 2012, 03:39 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 19 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this is what you're doing your fine, there are other tactics of course, but these are the basics:
    - Blink in, swipe twice taking out a marine, blink out to regen
    - Blink in, swipe four times vs two marines, blink out to regen (carapace 3, still risky vs a bigger group)

Doing anything different, like staying longer to take out more marines against equally skilled marines is quite difficult and potentially suicidal :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You sure about that? Haven't played 192 (and they've been boosted a bit), but in 191 I single-handedly shotgunned a fade for the first time ever (since NS1). Hit registration of alien attacks and the fact the shotgun is very powerful when the FPS is high enough to aim?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895828:date=Jan 19 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Jan 19 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shotgun still needs a melee alt attack... And it seems like the time between the shots has been increased - too much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good i am not the only one who notice the "take a breakfast, come back and fire your second shot" delay with shotguns. ^^
    I have no idea if its back or the fps but it feels like the input lag is back, i mean i fire the rifle and it feels like if it delay the attack.
    I just hope they fix all that "fps+delay" before gorilla update or with the gorilla update, because v191 was fine in my mind.

Im not sure but maybe hydras did a lag?
    I was going gorge to build a little defence at alien hive and 3 other teammates goes gorge too and build hydras (lol) the game lags and a mate ask me over steam if its crashed, 2 seconds later it was running ok after that.
    But my guess is, hydras did that?
    Or maybe the model thing did the lag, i mean i saw often a skulk jumps INTO a marine model, don't saw that before.
    It wasnt for a long time but it happend sometimes, maybe it was a server issue, but the ping was fine, ~50 (yes i know, it can lag even with a low ping...i don't know why, the rubber effect happend on some UK or other server.)
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895721:date=Jan 19 2012, 09:20 AM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Jan 19 2012, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great build, my favorite part?
    "OK NOW, time for Gorilla."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

who is she ? :D
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1895839:date=Jan 19 2012, 10:38 AM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Jan 19 2012, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After playing a few rounds, I can tell that mouse lag has become a problem again - maybe even input in general. Also, since 191, settings like r_atmospherics, r_bloom, etc. reset to "on" every round.

I think it has to do with the balancing the choice between upgrading a whip versus building a second whip. It's almost always a better choice to build 2 whips instead of one mature whip because you get more combined health and damage. As much as I dislike static defenses in general, I think it's a good change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually it's so Bombarding Whips have a better chance of being effective.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1895843:date=Jan 19 2012, 07:02 PM:name=Cyborg16)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyborg16 @ Jan 19 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You sure about that? Haven't played 192 (and they've been boosted a bit), but in 191 I single-handedly shotgunned a fade for the first time ever (since NS1). Hit registration of alien attacks and the fact the shotgun is very powerful when the FPS is high enough to aim?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Armor has been fixed, but a Fade can still get a very big piece of damage when close quarter tangling with a shotgunner as he should, it is the Fade counter. Element of surprise is a big part of playing alien and I should've added that to my post :)
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    ok how do you use mapcycle.txt and what is the for mat on how you list the stuff in it?
  • DrNoDrNo Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58489Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Best balanced version yet, will be interesting to see the winning rate after a couple of days.

Mines are fine now, i wouldnt expect them to hurt fades to much, and they will be usefull when laid strategically, ex. in vents.

I also still get the weird delay when using shutgun in close fight.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1895855:date=Jan 19 2012, 12:37 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Jan 19 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok how do you use mapcycle.txt and what is the for mat on how you list the stuff in it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is documentation in the Dedicated_Server_Usage.txt file.
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1895855:date=Jan 19 2012, 07:37 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Jan 19 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok how do you use mapcycle.txt and what is the for mat on how you list the stuff in it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From the dedicated server usage file:

The server can be configured to cycle through a list of maps by creating a file
    called mapcycle.txt in the ns2/ subdirectory of the game.

Each line of this file specifies the name of a map (e.g. "ns2_tram") which the
    server will automatically switch to at the end of a round. The minimum amount
    of time that the server will run before switching to a new map can be specified
    with a line in the form min_time = n where n is the number of minutes. The
    default minimum time is 30 minutes. By default the map cycle will switch maps
    in the order specified in the file. To make the server cycle randomly through
    the maps, add a line that says mode = random.

The same map can be specified multiple times in the mapcycle.txt file when
    using random mode, however the server will never switch to the same map it is
    currently playing. Specifying the same map when using in-order mode can lead to
    unpredictable results.

Here is an example map cycle file:

min_time = 60
    mode = random
    ns2_tram
    ns2_summit
    ns2_mineshaft

On the server, the cyclemap console command can be used to force the server to
    switch to the next map in the map cycle.
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1895860:date=Jan 19 2012, 07:49 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 19 2012, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is documentation in the Dedicated_Server_Usage.txt file.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn, beaten to it by max!
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    So static defenses are being increased in this patch, to be more effective, so we use them? In my opinion it's a crazy thing to do, particularly after reading you were trying to take the game away from using static defenses as this only <i>increases the likelihood static defenses will be used</i>.
    Static defences are easy enough to take down anyway, they just needed more *umph* to be used as an offensive weapon to become less of a static weapon...
  • pakuizepakuize Join Date: 2011-09-02 Member: 119652Members
    From when i installed this update to the game when ever i have alien view on and get killed the client crashes
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited January 2012
    My C2Duo Macbook Pro is working fine but AMD FX57+Nvidia GT8800 Desktop not works !
    It is crashing at the Connecting server section in both land and inet games.
    This is started from Build 190,191 and 192. I blame those splash screens while loading

Here is the log:

Date: 01/19/12
    Time: 14:44:57
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 192
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.8562)
    Connected to Steam servers
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/welder/welder.model
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)
    Error: PhysX: Gu::ConvexMesh::loadConvexHull: convex hull init failed!
    Error: PhysX: Error cooking body 0 of model models/props/summit/summit_welcomescreen_01.model
    edited January 2012
    Do you let it hang for a bit at the blackness after the loading screens are gone? It takes like 10-25s for my PC to go into the map depending on the playercount. It might seem it's crashing while in fact it will eventually go into the map.

I always have those errors in map start as well :)

[edit]
    Or do you actually crash to desktop?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    just have to stress how annoying it is to have the mouse lag back to it's former glory(as in it's really bad again).