Marine ESP

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The minimap that is</div>The current marine minimap is essentially a free radar, many a times I have seen skulks sneaking up behind me or hiding in a dark corner of the room on the minimap and known to turn and kill them. I think the auto spot is too much, marines do not need eyes in the back of their head and the ability to spot a skulk in the rafters across a large room. So, how about we remove the spot unless the comm actually scans?

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I posted this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116516&hl=" target="_blank">same issue</a> last week, but I haven't been able to gather much support or feedback from devs. Since the comm can see aliens in a 360 degree circle around his marines, apparently this data is fed to his units' minimaps. After thinking about it, I'm starting to accept it. But I don't like the fact that aliens can be tracked on the map for a lengthy amount of time after they exit a marine's line-of-sight or when they stop attacking structures. It lets marines know where the spotted aliens are heading, making ambushes vs fades and the like too easy imo.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    I remember sneaking into a marine base which was empty, and them the commander jumped out of the com chair, and instantly killed me. I figured he could see me in his overview. I'm not sure if I feel this is a problem or not, but I'm thinking the commander should have to scan or have marine eyes on the enemy to see him.

I realize what I bring up is not the same as what the op has, but it is related.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    buildings also have "eyes" afaik. e.g. you see skulks munching on extractors far away from any marine.
  • Jimpa_31@hotmail.comJimpa_31@hotmail.com Join Date: 2012-02-08 Member: 144358Members
    YEah , so many times i have killed ailens thanx to the minimap ,
    Coming into a room , sees a red dot on the minimap , look around sees a skulk hiding , dead skulk ,
    Same things that u can se 1 whaiting around the walls on the minimap ,
    Donnu what to think , but it is nice as a marine to se , but on the otherhand its seems werry hard to armbush an marine as an ailen ,
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I agree with this, I use the minimap far too much just because it offers a better pair of eyes than my own. It's important having aliens appear on the minimap though, but maybe not just when a marine "sees" them, what about how battlefield works, with the spotting system, or if someone actually hits an aliens and he takes damage, make them appear.

It completely ruins trying to hide in dark corners as a skulk or on the roof where the actual player may not focus.

Or is it nanites?
  • BonesXBonesX Join Date: 2007-02-04 Member: 59883Members, Constellation
    Ok, so let me get this straight- Marines with tech that can phase gate accross the map, instabuild equipt, and travel accross the stars are supposed to have dumber computers than what we have now? Their high tech armour is NOT supposed to feed them info about thier immediate surroundings?

We currently have (in the real world) computers that can track incoming artillery back to its source and auto-target/fire back at it. This was used by American Forces in Iraq to take out insurgents firing mortars at patrols. The Kharra should be glad UWE isnt implimenting the same. XD

That said- i dont think the minimap is OP so long as its area to spot Kharra is limited (as it is in the current Vanilla). Its a bit like a VERY localized motion Tracking. You cant really see the Kharra in my expirence until they are already in leap range.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only change I'd want for the map is that buildings should only spot aliens attacking them, but in return spot <b>all of them</b>, including lerks spiking them and gorges bile bombing (lost too many games already due to main base power node going down to an alien I couldn't see).
  • klevertommyklevertommy Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109482Members
    Rather than looking for aliens hiding in a dark room, I just 360 and look at my map. Not very fun.

You could change the system so that you actually have to place your crosshair on an enemy for them to show up on the map, and after that you could have them remain on the map until they break line of sight.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As the OP has pointed out, whether an entity is supposed to be visible or not on the minimap doesn't update nearly as fast as it should so your able to see skulks for a bit after they break LOS. This might be a part of the problem with the 360 thing where you only have LOS on a target for a split second but he draws on your minimap for much longer.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909483:date=Mar 3 2012, 06:01 PM:name=klevertommy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (klevertommy @ Mar 3 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could change the system so that you actually have to place your crosshair on an enemy for them to show up on the map, and after that you could have them remain on the map until they break line of sight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, something like that, or give vision only in a small cone around crosshair. I really feel like cheating when I look at my minihack right now.

I also agree building shouldn't give vision when not attacked, or maybe some kind of imprecise vision ("there is some ennemies around").
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tend to agree that the minimap is too effective an early warning system. When I'm axing a structure I generally don't even look at the screen, I just focus on the minimap for the first sign of an alien. There should be some sort of restriction on when aliens will show up there - for example a time delay, or only after they attack, etc.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909472:date=Mar 3 2012, 10:22 AM:name=BonesX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BonesX @ Mar 3 2012, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, so let me get this straight- Marines with tech that can phase gate accross the map, instabuild equipt, and travel accross the stars are supposed to have dumber computers than what we have now? Their high tech armour is NOT supposed to feed them info about thier immediate surroundings?

We currently have (in the real world) computers that can track incoming artillery back to its source and auto-target/fire back at it. This was used by American Forces in Iraq to take out insurgents firing mortars at patrols. The Kharra should be glad UWE isnt implimenting the same. XD

That said- i dont think the minimap is OP so long as its area to spot Kharra is limited (as it is in the current Vanilla). Its a bit like a VERY localized motion Tracking. You cant really see the Kharra in my expirence until they are already in leap range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heck I was playing mineshaft the other day and the minimap showed up a skulk who was hiding in the rafters on the other side of drill repair (above that big gate in the ground), I couldnt actually see him cause he was in the shadows but thanks to the minimap I was able to know where to aim and kill him. To be on the receiving end of some BS like that must be retarted and infuriating. Frankly I think the marines should actually have to use their voice comms rather then magically alerting all their buddies as to the enemies position. Also gameplay>realism.

It also severely hinders the usefulness of parasite, since everytime you use it ALL the marines can see you and will immediately gun you down. Parasiting marines from somewhere hidden is simply no longer an option unless you can immediately flee into vents or out of the room.

+1 On the not show up until attack/aimed at
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wouldn't mind aliens showing up on the minimap (outside of a scan) only when they do damage or are being damaged.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1909522:date=Mar 3 2012, 11:41 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 3 2012, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't mind aliens showing up on the minimap (outside of a scan) only when they do damage or are being damaged.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    i watch my map (not that useless minimap) about %40 of my gameplay time and i've noticed a serious advantage in this area...
    <i> although aliens DO have constant sight of marines that are on their territory?? </i>

i suggest we make that feature an upgrade, or location and time based.. similar to scanning somewhat except extended. say the alien commander wishes to keep an eye on crushing machine, and ore, so he selects those cysts nearby and activates that feature for a cost and it lasts for X minutes. otherwise, that team has the unfair advantage of seeing where the enemy is whether they attack or not, AND they can respond in seconds as opposed to marines.

basically i'm saying if your suggestion is implemented, so should a balance as the one i've suggested - why should one team get such an advantage over another especially when its already biased in their favor with mobility and no need for an alien to actually have LOS on a marine?
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909570:date=Mar 3 2012, 04:31 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 3 2012, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1
    i watch my map (not that useless minimap) about %40 of my gameplay time and i've noticed a serious advantage in this area...
    <i> <b>although aliens DO have constant sight of marines that are on their territory??</b> </i>

i suggest we make that feature an upgrade, or location and time based.. similar to scanning somewhat except extended. say the alien commander wishes to keep an eye on crushing machine, and ore, so he selects those cysts nearby and activates that feature for a cost and it lasts for X minutes. otherwise, that team has the unfair advantage of seeing where the enemy is whether they attack or not, AND they can respond in seconds as opposed to marines.

basically i'm saying if your suggestion is implemented, so should a balance as the one i've suggested - why should one team get such an advantage over another especially when its already biased in their favor with mobility and no need for an alien to actually have LOS on a marine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because Aliens have multiple bases they <i>need</i> to defend when Marines are only required to have one main base that they need to protect. Not to mention that marines have beacon to summon everyone back no matter where they are on the map making it vastly easier to protect the base. Where as aliens have to run across the entire map to defend. (Or be in another hive use to shift when it's released)

I mostly play the aliens but there are times I play Marines and when I do I feel like a damn dirty cheater with that minimap. For an example I was building up a power node and managed to kill 2 aliens that tried run up behind me just because I had my eye on a box in the corner.

There are times when I'm hiding as a skulk in a crevice/shadows and the marines just miraculously know where I'm located. That **** pisses me off to no end.
    ^ Not to mention that aliens cant build off infestation and thus their rate of expansion is way slower then marines and is tied to energy and vulnerable cyst chains.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    I play both sides with my 'C' key taped down, true story.
    <!--quoteo(post=1909718:date=Mar 3 2012, 10:57 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Mar 3 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play both sides with my 'C' key taped down, true story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If only the map was transparent.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909705:date=Mar 3 2012, 07:33 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Mar 3 2012, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->vulnerable cyst chains.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're not gonna mention that the powernode is also vulnerable when it stops beaconing, turrets, tech, and SPAWNING as well?
    theres no parity of that for aliens?

@misternubs:

good point. didnt see it from that side. i think my suggestion above solves all problems, dont you?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    In reply to OP.

The marine minimap wall-hack, balances out the Alien wall hack - Infestation :)
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    I really like being able to insta-spot skulks by glancing at my mini-map, but I do agree that it is a little unfair toward the aliens. I think the infestation sight bonus should just be a racial advantage for the aliens, and left alone.

How about implementing something like the hidden/detected system that's in Skyrim?

Use a couple different layers of detection, and process them in (roughly) this order:
    1. Ambient light levels. Any alien in a spot in the map that receives <40% brightness doesn't automatically appear on the marine mini-map. This would also make flashlights really useful.
    2. Powered vs unpowered. The power would increase the brightness of the room, as it does currently. This complements #1.
    3. Hit detection. Registering a hit on an alien makes it appear on the mini-map for a brief duration, say 3 seconds, regardless of ambient lighting. This is kind of like a tagging feature, and you could explain it by the alien bleeding for those three seconds and making it detectable (like the Predator!). After 3 seconds have passed since the last hit registration, the alien disappears from the mini-map if #1 is not met.

You could also throw in another layer to consider movement, and make moving entities more visible than non-moving ones.
    Cloak would obviously override all of these.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It saved my ass often, but Marine ESP/minimap completly annihilates the point of being sneaky as alien. Marines see you regardless on their godlike minimap.

I also think this should be removed unless you are "seen" by an obs or scan
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens have the same thing, infestation.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    IMO this ruins a lot of the atmosphere, where normally you'd have to listen closely, progress slowly and check dark corners as marines. (unless of course theres an obs or scan)
    The "scary" atmosphere is what made NS NS, it seems to me that currently skulks just end up rushing into marines because they know they can't hide anyway. (Which makes for much less diverse gameplay)

Mind you I'd be fine with removing it from alien infestation as well, itd make for much more calculated alien play. Aliens dont need it, and they can always bring back sensory chambers.
    Aliens will have Shift, and their mobility between hives and across the map in general will be increased whether its needed or not - so do they really need passive parasiting when a rine is on infestation? they already respond to it so quickly and efficiently, i believe sometimes its the only reason aliens are able to defend so well, they know a rush before it happens "Theres 3 marines in north tunnel!" etc. that notification should have came from an individual who was contributing to map control - not some handicap from a game feature.

marines, being far slower and less mobile (esp. considering the vulnerability of PG) aren't capable of doing something similar. They can however actively SCAN a small area for a few seconds. i recommend something similar in nature but obviously different as i mentioned last page.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea, it's a lot more fun as marines also when you can pull of these kind of ninja phasegate placements deep behind enemy lines. Right now the moment you hit infested ground they'll be expecting you, with very little or no chances of putting up a ninja PG against a competent team. This also greatly reduces the ability for comebacks with a marine team that did poorly early game.
    edited March 2012
    Please this is not a thread to talk about infestation, which is as much of a downside as it an upside (seriously limits expansion as well as making them vulnerable to disconnect) it is also limited to parts of the map which are actually infested unlike the minimap which is always with you. No one is suggesting we should get rid of the minimap but merely nerf it somewhat, there have been many good suggestions so far. I like the damage and lighting ones (also I think this may be difficult to implement). Also I have seen sneaky PGs go down, although it is usually when JPs are out when you can (if your clever) hop over the infestation while landing on clear patches to recharge.
    edited March 2012
    ??? we're talking about how infestation does the same "esp" thing for aliens? its completely related.
    also, a lot of us (ahem) dont use that useless minimap, and instead use the full map, which is accessbile at any time to either team. (<b>to include the one that is able to see any enemy on their territory</b>)

i support the damage requirement, for both teams.

edit: supporting evidence
    <!--quoteo(post=1909718:date=Mar 3 2012, 07:57 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Mar 3 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play both sides with my 'C' key taped down, true story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    There's also the difference that skulks are much more ambush-oriented than marines, which means that being seen on the minimap is a much bigger problem for them than it is for the marines.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1909522:date=Mar 3 2012, 03:41 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 3 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't mind aliens showing up on the minimap (outside of a scan) only when they do damage or are being damaged.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, this.

Right now, aliens are way too easy to spot with the minimap. Your best eyes = constantly watching the map or minimap.