The New HUD

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also powered room boundaries should be more distinguishable or more accurate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Definitely agree with this, commander should be able to see what power node powers what room and to what range. (Really frustrating to build accidentally out of power node range etc)
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1915846:date=Mar 21 2012, 07:25 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Mar 21 2012, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, that's armor and it shrinks the less armor the unit has<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please fix the % health circles around the marines, for the marine commanders view. It will say he is 100/100 but the graphical ring is in the yellow 3/4th hp range. It's annoying as a commander. - -;
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1915925:date=Mar 21 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Mar 21 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like it, though I agree minimap may be a tad too large. Also not entirely sold on the death blood thingy

Also, is it just me or did they change the marine ESP so that it no longer shows approaching skulks on the minimap like it used to? (without a marine or orbs spotting them)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It still shows aliens when they are in LoS, but they are now arrows (not a fan of just arrows), I prefer the lifeform icons so you can actually asses the threat. The main map still shows those so I guess threat assessment across the map is still good...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1915928:date=Mar 21 2012, 04:42 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Mar 21 2012, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Definitely agree with this, commander should be able to see what power node powers what room and to what range. (Really frustrating to build accidentally out of power node range etc)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ Oh yes, This!
    I think of a shiny blue plane in the shape of the powered area, only visible for the com when placing a building.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915931:date=Mar 21 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 21 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It still shows aliens when they are in LoS, but they are now arrows (not a fan of just arrows), I prefer the lifeform icons so you can actually asses the threat. The main map still shows those so I guess threat assessment across the map is still good...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, the new minimap icons won't give the same scare as seeing a fade or onos minimap icon approaching me from behind.
  • SpaPalSpaPal Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147699Members
    The direction UWE are going with the new marine hud makes a lot of sense stylistically and lore wise. Remember that the marines are using a digital heads up visor and the scan lines make a lot of sense in order to create a certain feeling or mood (similar to the mouth for skulks). If you've actually worn a hud helmet or a VR visor the displayed information does feel clunky at first, but the display is nearly transparent.

I'm not saying it should be true to form but stylistically it makes sense. Most people have a lot of experience and personal preference with what a super functional fps hud should be ideally but personally I hope that isn't the dirction NS2 is going to go, for that I can play quake or counter strike.
  • SpaPalSpaPal Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147699Members
    On another note how would you guys feel about the ability or to turn off your marine visor hud and possibly get a benefit from heightened senses such as larger sound radius and possibly higher damage rifle butt swing?

Kind of like at the end of an sci-fi action flick when the main character and the antagonist take out their ear pieces to go nuts on each other and they beat on each other for an extended 5 minute action scene.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I think it's better with arrows showing only location and direction. The little icons were appealing at first but now looking at the new HUD I think they look cartoony

And compared to the previous HUD the new one is more modern, in keeping with the style of other games. Whether that's good or bad, it doesn't look dated like the last HUD did.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915944:date=Mar 21 2012, 06:47 PM:name=SpaPal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaPal @ Mar 21 2012, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On another note how would you guys feel about the ability or to turn off your marine visor hud and possibly get a benefit from heightened senses such as larger sound radius and possibly higher damage rifle butt swing?

Kind of like at the end of an sci-fi action flick when the main character and the antagonist take out their ear pieces to go nuts on each other and they beat on each other for an extended 5 minute action scene.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too much customisation is a bad thing
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    Looks pretty nice, some stuff needs resizing and maybe repositioning but the overall idea is looking good.

I'd kill for a QL style hud though :)
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    My heart sinks when I see changes like this. I have voiced my concerns about the HUD for both sides becoming too messy and distracting. Its starting to look like L4D2 which is disappointing and gimmicky and doesnt fit a game like NS2. If UW do decide to go ahead with this, I at least hope we get the option to disable/make more transparent or switch off whichever elements of the HUD we don't like. I want to see the game and not masses of information on the screen.

The HUD for both sides needs to be clear but not intrusive and like someone stated earlier, "less is more" I often wonder how half this stuff gets past the play-testers really. Are they just to afraid to criticise the game and UW's decisions in any way or something?

Still not as bad as the marine jump spam, which is out of control now, though by a long way.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A little extra blue and less grey would also make the hud a little more attractive imo.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Adding text ("you are now respawning") to explain what is going on in the game is a hugh fail. What are the 3D animated models and the sound for again, can't remember ?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. In general, the UI that was shows is all still a WIP, so font sizes, scaling of various elements, the opacity of the backgrounds (like the background behind the minimap being too opaque) are all being adjusted, before public release.

<!--quoteo(post=1915765:date=Mar 21 2012, 06:05 AM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Mar 21 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a suggestion, but it would be cool if the hud had depth and was slanted on the sides to make it seem like it was being projected onto the marines visor.
    Like that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We'd still like to do the slanting effect on the HUD, but its not a priority, so probably won't make it for 1.0
    <!--quoteo(post=1915789:date=Mar 21 2012, 07:46 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Mar 21 2012, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didnt see it mentioned, are the health/armour updates instant? Or still delayed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915819:date=Mar 21 2012, 09:57 AM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Mar 21 2012, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please remove that most annoying message "You Are Dead!".

Better will be the countdown to re-spawn / or message about queue when you will be in b.field again instead of give that negative information to the players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The You Are Dead was placeholder text, but we are removing that stuff entirely anyway, including the blood splat symbol. And you will get the countdown to re spawn timer and all that stuff, as it switches to a special spectator screen mode, after the death stuff is done.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915847:date=Mar 21 2012, 11:26 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Mar 21 2012, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hope they fix the rings, because marines can see alien ones O.o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This has been fixed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915922:date=Mar 21 2012, 03:16 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Mar 21 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->soo so far what i get from people complaining is alien new hud is good except font on the health is too big or the circle needs to be bigger to fit it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Alien HUD was very unfinished in that PT, especially the issue with the numbers not scaling properly with the health rings. That overlapping is just due to the WIP of it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915926:date=Mar 21 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Mar 21 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->banner for power nodes being destroyed should be less intrusive (smaller banner? placement of banner?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We are moving the banners up more to not be as close to the crosshairs.

--Cory
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    cory you literally addressed every concern i had while watching that stream, which by the way was amazing!
    thanks!

p.s. what are the requirements to seeing those hp armor rings? distance? degree within crosshairs? just dont want them popping up distractedly during a fight
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    One thing I found a bit odd with the marine UI was the resource indication in the bottom right.

To the right of your pres amount, there's the total amount of Extractors indicated with the dots.
    To the left of your pres amount, there's another dot that's only there to indicate the resource income flow.

I kept wondering to myself, up to the point where I saw a new game start where there's only ONE Extractor, if that dot on the left meant you had <i>two</i> Extractors, or just one.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Those screenshot in the OP are somehow weird. Ingame they Hud isn't that visible, especially the scanlines the opacity on those is a whole lot less then that screenshot shows. Compression artefacts?
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915981:date=Mar 21 2012, 02:56 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 21 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    The You Are Dead was placeholder text, but we are removing that stuff entirely anyway, including the blood splat symbol. And you will get the countdown to re spawn timer and all that stuff, as it switches to a special spectator screen mode, after the death stuff is done.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Thank you very much (really very much)!!! I'll kiss you .. as I'm happy!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Now that ppl have already seen it, how about uploading good quality sceenshots of the wip ui?

Would be cool if somebody would do that, honourable kouji-san other playtesters or devs! :)
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1915995:date=Mar 21 2012, 07:21 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Mar 21 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now that ppl have already seen it, how about uploading good quality sceenshots of the wip ui?

Would be cool if somebody would do that, honourable kouji-san other playtesters or devs! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll ask if I'm allowed, it has changed a bit with new unseen stuffs :P
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    I´m really disappointed by the new stuff. Not only the new HUD seems horrible for me, also pretty much every change you (the devs) have done with the last build. If I haven´t bought it already I think I wouldn´t do it again. A friend of mine recently bought the game because I told him too (was on build 199) and he was really excited about it, but now I keeps just complaining to me.

Please change it back, I´m begging you.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915944:date=Mar 21 2012, 12:47 PM:name=SpaPal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaPal @ Mar 21 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On another note how would you guys feel about the ability or to turn off your marine visor hud and possibly get a benefit from heightened senses<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i><b>Trust your feelings.</b></i>
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1915986:date=Mar 21 2012, 07:12 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Mar 21 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I found a bit odd with the marine UI was the resource indication in the bottom right.

To the right of your pres amount, there's the total amount of Extractors indicated with the dots.
    To the left of your pres amount, there's another dot that's only there to indicate the resource income flow.

I kept wondering to myself, up to the point where I saw a new game start where there's only ONE Extractor, if that dot on the left meant you had <i>two</i> Extractors, or just one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Here's a clearer shot of that HUD element, and also showing a slight reworking of the design then was shown in the PT. The number of Extractors are shown as dots running along the bottom, and will go up to whatever number of Extractors your team has. The dot to the left of the res numbers is actually not just a dot, as you can see more clearly in this image, and it is just the icon for resources.

--Cory
    [attachment=36072:Resources.jpg]
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I actually JUST noticed that the icon is different when watching the VOD from yesterday's stream and was about to go back to this post and edit it, but you were quicker :p
    But that's a much better position seen in the image you uploaded.
    One thing I'm curious about for the new UI as well is support for friends playing together.

I played with a friend quite extensively two builds back, but finding each other is slightly hard since there's no way to see a chosen player on the map.
    Do you think that's something that could be done? I played NS1 this way too with a friend and we had a blast, but I would be even happier if the game supported friends playing together. Maybe hook it up with Steam somehow so friends are displayed differently on hivesight/map/name colour.

"Unite the world through play", right? :p
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    triggerman theres a lot of room for brainstorming there, like something as simple as green text instead of the "brownyellow" we saw yesterday on the new hud?
    similar to how battlefield games show your squadmates.

i definitely like this idea, as friends are already grouping together in this game very often!
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916017:date=Mar 21 2012, 12:37 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 21 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->triggerman theres a lot of room for brainstorming there, like something as simple as green text instead of the "brownyellow" we saw yesterday on the new hud?
    similar to how battlefield games show your squadmates.

i definitely like this idea, as friends are already grouping together in this game very often!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1000!

Battlefield does a decent job managing this with squads -- when you join a game a friend is in, you can automatically be placed in their squad. Also, it would be great to have a squad system in general like in Battlefield or Nuclear Dawn. As comm it's too awkward to manually select marines to give orders now, and control groups aren't a good way to deal because players drop and join all the time. The current alternative is to give a single order to the entire team, which typically doesn't make for good tactics. I love the way the waypoints look and feel in the game now, we just need to make them easier for comms to use. Sorry to somewhat hijack the thread.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    The lines going through the mini-map look horrendous.

It is also slightly too large.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916047:date=Mar 21 2012, 01:58 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 21 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lines going through the mini-map look horrendous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, the current minimap looks way cleaner. infact I prefer the whole current UI.. :(
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited March 2012
This discussion has been closed.