Response to b202 Onos

2»

Comments

• Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920892:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:40 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Apr 2 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't jetpacks supposed to be the counter to the onos ?

I mean, jetpack flight better than onos, right ?

Maybe I don't know how to play with the jetpack but I often get knocked down when I try to flight away from an onos, it seems gore range is really huge in the air. Shouldn't knock-down on jetpacks be removed completely ? I you get gored while flying in the air you should actually go up, not down...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it used to be. Jetpack was always dominating ONOS at previous NS1, but the problem is, jetpacks cannot carry HMG anymore.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1920892:date=Apr 2 2012, 08:40 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Apr 2 2012, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't jetpacks supposed to be the counter to the onos ?

I mean, jetpack flight better than onos, right ?

Maybe I don't know how to play with the jetpack but I often get knocked down when I try to flight away from an onos, it seems gore range is really huge in the air. Shouldn't knock-down on jetpacks be removed completely ? I you get gored while flying in the air you should actually go up, not down...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A problem with jetpacks is that they are affected by onos stomp even when mid air. In ns1 you could fly up and avoid getting stomped but in ns2 you get knocked over anyway. At large heights you are not affected by stomp, but that height is only sustainable for a few seconds before the fuel dries up.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The stomp distance is insane, reduce it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1920974:date=Apr 2 2012, 12:37 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Apr 2 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The stomp distance is insane, reduce it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Every anti-infantry thing about the onos is currently insane and the primary reason why you see 98% alien win rate in competitive games.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Onos I think is very good for most of the game in b202, the only problem I have with it is its lack of late game anti-building damage output, as when marines have maxed out their tech, they start spamming buildings like crazy. For most of the game its anti structure ability is fine I think, effective, but not dominating.

I'd say, make that damage be the damage that gore does to structures, then put smash back up to higher levels, and make it a 3 hive or otherwise late game upgrade.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920983:date=Apr 2 2012, 01:08 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 2 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos I think is very good for most of the game in b202, the only problem I have with it is its lack of late game anti-building damage output, as when marines have maxed out their tech, they start spamming buildings like crazy. For most of the game its anti structure ability is fine I think, effective, but not dominating.

I'd say, make that damage be the damage that gore does to structures, then put smash back up to higher levels, and make it a 3 hive or otherwise late game upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem isn't its anti building. The problem is it can wipe out entire teams of marines with some alien support. An onos + alien team will never, ever lose a fight. When onos come out they simply push the marines back to their spawn and it's GG from there.

The anti-infantry power of the onos is simply completely overpowered.

From the twitter feed:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tuning, polishing, last minute bug fixing. We have just a little time left before PAX. Hoping to patch one more time before we leave.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully some onos fixes in there.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920987:date=Apr 2 2012, 06:13 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 2 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem isn't its anti building. The problem is it can wipe out entire teams of marines with some alien support. An onos + alien team will never, ever lose a fight. When onos come out they simply push the marines back to their spawn and it's GG from there.

The anti-infantry power of the onos is simply completely overpowered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:/

Maybe at the very start but I find sheer volume of fire to be pretty effective. You can do some nasty damage to marines certainly but there are always more of them, you will eventually run out of steam.

If you really need to balance it earlier, give marines a weapon that does the heavy damage type earlier on. They don't currently have one at all.

I suggested exploding bullets that would lower rifle ROF but make it do heavy damage, increasing ammo efficiency but reducing overall damage output against normal hitpoints. Making it particularly good against onoses, and generally good when combined with other weapons in groups.

The other thing I guess is you could reduce gorge healing effectiveness on onoses a little, make them pull back more.

Also is stomp supposed to do something to marines? It wasn't doing anything to anyone when I tried it in B202.
  • Ugly_JimUgly_Jim Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10235Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920910:date=Apr 2 2012, 07:58 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Apr 2 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A problem with jetpacks is that they are affected by onos stomp even when mid air. In ns1 you could fly up and avoid getting stomped but in ns2 you get knocked over anyway. At large heights you are not affected by stomp, but that height is only sustainable for a few seconds before the fuel dries up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, and I haven't played very much of NS2 but it seems like there were a lot more "perches" for jetpacks be it in high vents or whatever. It's tough to get in a spot to shoot onos without getting hit. Also the fuel doesn't last as long nor propel you as fast/far in NS2 so this is a bigger issue. Especially with the 200fps thing in ns1.
  • KraldKrald Join Date: 2012-04-02 Member: 149860Members
    I personally do <i>not</i> agree with stomp affecting people in the air with jetpacks at all. It already doesn't make sense from a physics standpoint, but from a balance one (haha) it is awful.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1920910:date=Apr 2 2012, 02:58 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Apr 2 2012, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A problem with jetpacks is that they are affected by onos stomp even when mid air. In ns1 you could fly up and avoid getting stomped but in ns2 you get knocked over anyway. At large heights you are not affected by stomp, but that height is only sustainable for a few seconds before the fuel dries up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but a junping marine is not affected by stomp. I think that is a overseen bug.