Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 217 ("Titanium") changelog

Comments

• kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I must say this is the most fun i've had on NS2 to date very good update!

I still have issues with some fundamental design decisions but this patch was very good...

On thing that needs looking at is MAC's having 10 mac's following 1 Exo around healing him is silly, also the way mac's automatically repair bases is to powerful it makes it impossible for aliens to harass down structures...
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968467:date=Aug 30 2012, 07:49 AM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Aug 30 2012, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Bad:
    <ul><li>Marine grunting sounds and death screams seem out of place.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually really enjoy this feature...may grow tiresome over time but is very satisfying hearing them marines scream as you munch on them.
  • skat0rskat0r Join Date: 2011-04-10 Member: 92245Members
    Really enjoyed that build, played all day :D
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    Well, performance is coming along pretty good. There are a few issues I have noticed with the performance worth noting.

1. While I was playing as a skulk if I either leaped or tapped forward with in attack range I would go through the marine.

2. FPS would be between 30-50. While moving or fighting it would stay mainly at the lower FPS.

3. The exosuit HP/Armor GUI while in the exosuit seemed a bit hard for me to notice.

Playing as a marine is starting to be pretty tolerable. It is alot easier to actually kill things and can only get better and easier as the performance keeps improving.

I like the increase to the power nodes/extractors HP. Feels like a good adjustment.

I feel as if the aliens need alot of tweaking now.

1. Alien comm needs some sort of indications of the teams upgrades. It is pretty annoying to have to ask or be told that we don't have a upgrade or that you have lost it. I shouldn't have to scan the screen and click the chamber to see which one it is. Also if for some reason a comm gets ejected or disconnects it can cause the new comm who takes over to waste precious resources on the same upgrades.

2. The skulk needs alot of attention, I seem to die way to quick and I get stuck on walls all the time. Seems to me as if the bite needs to be tweaked slightly as well. As the performance gets to around 60 FPS sold skulks are just fodder for the marines shredder machines.

3. The fade is in a really good spot, the movement and the overall feel is probably the best work you guys have done.

4. Lerk seems to die way to easy in this build.

5. (Map) Also noticed on some maps I was having issues egging. More specifically I couldn't egg above the double extractor area on veil.

6. The contrast on the aliens outline sight needs to be toned down just a tad bit.
    <b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
    Finally the most important of all!!!!!!

Where are my marine ready room VICTORY EXOSUITS/JETPACKS.

MARINE VS MARINE

COMBAT MODE

SIEGE MAPS
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968090:date=Aug 29 2012, 07:45 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Aug 29 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i ahve seen this question appear multiple times already: the patch notes are incorrect, commander ping is now on mouse3 (not alt+click, since that would interfere with voice comm.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, middle mouse is how we're supposed to do it. I have been alt+left clicking the mini-map to trigger the alert. Did you know about that? I'm guessing it might have slipped through unnoticed. I still trigger the alert accidentally because i might be using the voice chat while re-centering the map.

Also the little alert button next to the minimap seems to have become non-functional. If I'm not mistaken, you used to be able to left click it then left click the battlefield to trigger the alert.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->awesome:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The EXOOOOOOOOOoooooooo is awesome. For the most part. I really love the implementation, the movement/building restrictions.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->VEIL, one epic beast of a map
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the new Tram and Summit
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->he new music, animations and sounds... awesome. (I noticed the spur/veil/shell idle/research animations!)
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the option to turn UI stuff off in the console (THANK YOU, don't stop there!)
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the new performance/physx ... servers are noticably smoother and more stable.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Commanders being able to drop stuff for t-res
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->THANK YOU for removing 50 armor cara skulks. Seriously, best change in this patch.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The fade blink for the most part plays pretty well, still could use some tweaks but I really like the momentum from blink again.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The JP nerf, it was needed I think.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Lerk spikes on 1 hive !!!! He's finally viable/useful in the early game again.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The UI is looking much better for the most part, new alien vision is sweet.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->critique:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->As others have mentioned the basic 1 minigun Exo should have the gun in the left hand, not the right...seems pretty common sense to me :P
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The dual minigun exo might have a little<i> too </i>much DPS (an onos charged me from not too far away and I melted him before he even touched me :/ ). or:
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The Onos still seems a bit too squishy
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Shade Hive could really use some love, it is leagues behind shift/crag in terms of early/mid game viability (you never go shade hive until 3rd hive)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Alien wavespawn still needs looking at
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Gorge Hydras possibly need looking at
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Onos/Exo probably need 3 hive/CCs to be dropped (should be used as game-enders imo, not to be spammed during games that are still in contest)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Lerk Spores seem a little weak for a 2-hive ability
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Name Tags definitely needs an option in the UI (or they need to be made much more minimal- they are very intrusive)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The new music could use some volume controls ;P

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->suggestions:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Onos needs some looking at, he could use a minor survivability boost
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->May I suggest....projectile spores? :O seriously no one will ever research crop duster spores for 2nd hive, it's pretty useless :/
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->I don't know what to suggest for shade hive short of moving Silence back to shift (replace hyper mutation) and giving shade Focus
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Alien wavespawn still needs to be looked at (<u>and it needs to scale with player count</u>)
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Gorge Hydra seem too weak for costing p-res again, they could use some love via a minor HP/AP boost (an optimally some scaling via # of hives)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1968737:date=Aug 30 2012, 07:50 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 30 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->As others have mentioned the basic 1 minigun Exo should have the gun in the left hand, not the right...seems pretty common sense to me :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How come? I'd actually find it harder to aim having it in the left hand.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968781:date=Aug 30 2012, 02:27 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Aug 30 2012, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come? I'd actually find it harder to aim having it in the left hand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mainly because melee in games is generally bound to mouse2 instead of mouse1. Personally i dont really mind.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1968781:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:27 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Aug 30 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come? I'd actually find it harder to aim having it in the left hand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You aim with the model? Try the crosshair!
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    It puts me off. If I'm shooting with something the gun needs to be on the right. I tried cl_righthand 0 in counter strike once. Disaster.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    edited August 2012
    Very nice patch.
    Exo rocks !

But will you change the ragdoll behavior till 1.0 ?
    It looks so damn silly when you kill an onos and it starts to flying around in air looking like a squid...i mean the old HL2 havok had nicer ragdoll behavior.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968790:date=Aug 30 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Aug 30 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very nice patch.
    Exo rocks !

But will you change the ragdoll behavior till 1.0 ?
    It looks so damn silly when you kill an onos and it starts to flying around in air looking like a squid...i mean the old HL2 havok had nicer ragdoll behavior.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It isnt about the physics engine, but rather using a lot of time for trial and error, changing weights for different limbs/parts, finding good values for how stiff the joints should be etc. Theres plenty of stuff that are more usefull to spend all that time on right now.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    MACs need to be nerfed hard. Make them unable to repair anything that is under attack. Irritating seeing the MAC circle jerking which happens automatically now. It was ok before since commanders had to micromanage, now its just irritating.

Make them construct much faster though, its a bit silly how slowly they build.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rather macs didn't run around the area auto welding, and that the commander had to do it. Like a RTS.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1968795:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:59 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Aug 30 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rather macs didn't run around the area auto welding, and that the commander had to do it. Like a RTS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean like the SCVs in Starcraft 2?
    Could be made a toggle.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The speed with which MACs weld players could be adjusted if need be. I prefer auto-welding to micromanaging though, there's a much larger need to make commanding accessible in NS(where the entire team depends on him doing well for the game to be fun) than there is in an RTS game.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    Awesome patch. Very good performance increase and exos are kickass.
    critic:<ul><li>MACs and Welders need the same mechanic like gorge heal, to prevent them from being op when multiple are used.</li><li>Onos REALLY needs its Bone Shield! (=invul at the front) Simply increasing the onos health won't do it. Having a skillful mechanic where you need to hit him from behind / sides is much better.</li><li>cap ARCs to No. of CCs or robotfactories and increase the damage of them to make them viable again.</li><li>hydras costing res will make them unused in a few days</li><li>the gorge could be so much more interesting when able to overheal the aliens like the medic in tf2</li></ul>
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968796:date=Aug 30 2012, 01:02 PM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Aug 30 2012, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You mean like the SCVs in Starcraft 2?
    Could be made a toggle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think almost any AI action should have a toggle. There's a reason why for example Blizzard RTSes have both "Hold position" and "Stop". The different it makes is game changing in many situations.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968737:date=Aug 30 2012, 02:50 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 30 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->awesome:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The EXOOOOOOOOOoooooooo is awesome. For the most part. I really love the implementation, the movement/building restrictions.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->VEIL, one epic beast of a map
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the new Tram and Summit
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->he new music, animations and sounds... awesome. (I noticed the spur/veil/shell idle/research animations!)
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the option to turn UI stuff off in the console (THANK YOU, don't stop there!)
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->the new performance/physx ... servers are noticably smoother and more stable.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Commanders being able to drop stuff for t-res
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->THANK YOU for removing 50 armor cara skulks. Seriously, best change in this patch.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The fade blink for the most part plays pretty well, still could use some tweaks but I really like the momentum from blink again.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The JP nerf, it was needed I think.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Lerk spikes on 1 hive !!!! He's finally viable/useful in the early game again.
    <!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->+<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The UI is looking much better for the most part, new alien vision is sweet.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->critique:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->As others have mentioned the basic 1 minigun Exo should have the gun in the left hand, not the right...seems pretty common sense to me :P
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The dual minigun exo might have a little<i> too </i>much DPS (an onos charged me from not too far away and I melted him before he even touched me :/ ). or:
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The Onos still seems a bit too squishy
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Shade Hive could really use some love, it is leagues behind shift/crag in terms of early/mid game viability (you never go shade hive until 3rd hive)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Alien wavespawn still needs looking at
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Gorge Hydras possibly need looking at
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Onos/Exo probably need 3 hive/CCs to be dropped (should be used as game-enders imo, not to be spammed during games that are still in contest)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Lerk Spores seem a little weak for a 2-hive ability
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Name Tags definitely needs an option in the UI (or they need to be made much more minimal- they are very intrusive)
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->The new music could use some volume controls ;P

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->suggestions:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Onos needs some looking at, he could use a minor survivability boost
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->May I suggest....projectile spores? :O seriously no one will ever research crop duster spores for 2nd hive, it's pretty useless :/
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->I don't know what to suggest for shade hive short of moving Silence back to shift (replace hyper mutation) and giving shade Focus
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Alien wavespawn still needs to be looked at (<u>and it needs to scale with player count</u>)
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Gorge Hydra seem too weak for costing p-res again, they could use some love via a minor HP/AP boost (an optimally some scaling via # of hives)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just wanted this awesome feedback on another page and also to add that being able to stack several MACs onto an exo train should also be looked into. The stacking and automatic welding is too "click and forget" for how strong it is.
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    So far loving 217. The Exos are fun and certainly an interesting dynamic, though I still think we're going to have to play with them a bit more to fine tune them, but not as overpowered as I expected them to be, and certainly more fun than the old NS1 heavies! I think their drawbacks are fitting for their cost and firepower, and may lead folks to think up some creative strategies to deal with them. Outside of the 10 res Jetpack, its the first big (cost wise) piece of equipement for the marines that they cant reuse on death, making it more akin to the alien Lifeforms. I think their limitations force people to make choices and deal with the trade offs, and thats a good thing.

The lerk changes are an improvement I think, though I've always felt spikes lack a certain punch. For a ranged attack, its often hard to tell if I'm really having an effect on the thing I'm hiting, and I feel like there might be a bullet spread to them that I cant really place (aiming at stationary targets sometimes doesn't register that I'm hitting anything at all). Its that, or the "hit" animation on the crosshair doesnt always trigger. But its great to have a ranged attack on the alien team, and on a very mobile lifeform as well. I guess my point is that when you're against shot guns, all you can really do is poke at them for awhile until someone with an LMG harasses you enough that you fly away, or the marines just run at you to scare you off. I kinda feels like you're trying to kill them with papercuts, and between medspam and welders, and the difficulty of aiming while flying around, it just doesnt feel like they have much effect.

Love the flying though, its fast enough to feel fast but not mach 10 like it used to be (and I love being able to strafe just slightly gliding, really a great touch). That said, I honestly feel like the lerk could use some tweaking to get more bang for its cost, as its a fairly heavy investment early on for being so squishy. Nothing big though, I think its in a really good place right now. Projectile spores, as Rantology suggested, for a hive 2 upgrade would do the trick in my opinion.

I've noticed, and I'm sure others have, that on occassion when skulks are circle strafing that I'll actually take damage while the skulk model appears to be facing in a completely different direction. It's not always apparently noticable, but when I do notice, its usually because the skulk was facing almost at a 90 degree angle either to the left or right of center from me.

As for performance, I've notice fantastic improvements all around, though it is still possible to overwhelm servers with structures / npc units like Macs and drifters (though you have to work at it a bit more). So that may be something to keep in mind. I haven't crashed yet due to a "shader missing" error yet, so hopefully that's been completely fixed.

I like the fade changes. They're still quite powerful in the right hands, and if used carefully, but their not the hit-and-run super stars they were previously, as its a bit easier to just visually predict where they'll be headed. Obviously they still blink around like mad, but the change forces people to think a bit more about where they're going and its much easier to get stuck if you blink into a wall or corner you didnt mean to.

I'm a little worried about the change to carapace for skulks. I think its an improvement for the early game, as it makes alien players have to think and plan a bit more before blindly rushing marines (which is more like NS1 where you have to stalk and ambush people), but I'm concerned about late game as it lowers their survivability against upgraded marines. That said, by late game they should also have other upgrades available to compensate, and I actually havent felt like they were lacking while playing a late game skulk yet, so perhaps I'm worrying for nothing.

Thats all I can really think of for now, but overall, I'm loving NS2 and 217 is playing great!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968737:date=Aug 30 2012, 07:50 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 30 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#9ACD32--><span style="color:#9ACD32"><!--/coloro-->awesome:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Lerk Spores seem a little weak for a 2-hive ability<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with the second, but I don't see how this change has made the lerk "viable/useful in the early game again". The combination of flap energy cost and spike energy cost makes effective dodging while delivering a reasonable DPS nigh-impossible (and this is coming from the guy who originally suggested swapping the abilities to Flayra).

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120054&view=findpost&p=1968891" target="_blank">Shameless self-promotion for further discussion regarding the lerk.</a>
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    With the performance increases, the server sizes have been growing (good thing), but I've noticed that with fairly even teams, marines tend to win wayyyy more often than aliens (4/5, 5/6 games?) and I think it's simply because they can expand much faster (Extractors are built faster than Harvesters grow) with more people. And the wave spawning system seems to break down horribly for the aliens. I've gone 60+ seconds while being dead when getting sieged in one of our hives (killed my egg right before I spawned, reset my place in the queue). Whereas marines just drop a 3rd, or 4th IP to speed the process.

Maybe scale the wave spawning/egg spawning in larger games? I don't really know how to alleviate the RT issue either. Maybe a fixed spawning system will help with getting reinforcements to a harvester.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1968905:date=Aug 30 2012, 10:04 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 30 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with the second, but I don't see how this change has made the lerk "viable/useful in the early game again". The combination of flap energy cost and spike energy cost makes effective dodging while delivering a reasonable DPS nigh-impossible (and this is coming from the guy who originally suggested swapping the abilities to Flayra).

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120054&view=findpost&p=1968891" target="_blank">Shameless self-promotion for further discussion regarding the lerk.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, your point is true. I suppose I didn't mean that he's perfect, but he's much better than he was last patch. Playing lerk w/o adrenaline takes some serious energy management skills. :/
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I think this would be a great time to implement the Onos'/Oni's Bone Shield ability.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Bone_Shield" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Bone_Shield</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1968823:date=Aug 30 2012, 09:24 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 30 2012, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the gorge could be so much more interesting when able to overheal the aliens like the medic in tf2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They talked about that idea before, it was called 'encrust' then. I hope it's included someday.
    <!--quoteo(post=1968781:date=Aug 30 2012, 05:27 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Aug 30 2012, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come? I'd actually find it harder to aim having it in the left hand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Left clicking to fire is pretty instinctual for most people I'd think, it is for me. It's weird having to right click, you kind of have to make a conscious effort to remember to do it (at least at first, it takes some getting used to).
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968920:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:40 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 30 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this would be a great time to implement the Onos'/Oni's Bone Shield ability.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Bone_Shield" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Bone_Shield</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Onos definitely need some survivability increases now that exo are in play. Was in a "last stand" situation last night as marines, we insta-gibbed so many onos that ran into our base, but we could not touch the fades. Very backwards.

Don't see the reasoning that it has to crouch though, that just means it can't go anywhere while protected....not much of an advantage.

Should just be a large, flat damage reduction from the front, researchable at hive 2.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968823:date=Aug 30 2012, 08:24 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 30 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome patch. Very good performance increase and exos are kickass.
    critic:<ul><li>MACs and Welders need the same mechanic like gorge heal, to prevent them from being op when multiple are used.</li><li>Onos REALLY needs its Bone Shield! (=invul at the front) Simply increasing the onos health won't do it. Having a skillful mechanic where you need to hit him from behind / sides is much better.</li><li>cap ARCs to No. of CCs or robotfactories and increase the damage of them to make them viable again.</li><li>hydras costing res will make them unused in a few days</li><li>the gorge could be so much more interesting when able to overheal the aliens like the medic in tf2</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 I would subscribe to your newsletter.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968855:date=Aug 30 2012, 04:54 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Aug 30 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also to add that being able to stack several MACs onto an exo train should also be looked into. The stacking and automatic welding is too "click and forget" for how strong it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've been saying this for a long time, MACs welding rate is way too high. My immediate suggestion is 25-35% of what it is now.
    Also, the gun should be in the right hand by default. But could be nice with a command like cl_righthand from HL, to flip the viewmodel.
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    With the right hand / left hand thing, I just started thinking about the exo as having a weapon in each hand, all the time, which, for me, made it more intuitive when firing with either the 1 gun or 2 gun version. Right click for the right side, left click for the left side, you do the same thing for the 2 gun version, so it seems more consistent to keep the same format for the 1 gun 1 hand version.

To me anyway. :-/
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1968737:date=Aug 30 2012, 06:50 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 30 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->critique:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->Shade Hive could really use some love, it is leagues behind shift/crag in terms of early/mid game viability (you never go shade hive until 3rd hive)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's been some discussion around here regarding alien wavespawn, and is something we are looking into.

Dynamic music not being affected by the main music controls is a bug.

Agreed that shades can use some love to make them a little more useful. However, that may have to wait until post 1.0. If Shades are always the last structure to be built still at release, that is not the end of the world, and at this point we need to pick our battles in order to get this game released.
    <!--quoteo(post=1968790:date=Aug 30 2012, 11:48 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Aug 30 2012, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But will you change the ragdoll behavior till 1.0 ?
    It looks so damn silly when you kill an onos and it starts to flying around in air looking like a squid...i mean the old HL2 havok had nicer ragdoll behavior.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Better ragdolls (especially for the Onos) is high priority, though higher priorities, such as performance, have prevented much work being done. It is something we are definitely going to address before 1.0, though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1968855:date=Aug 30 2012, 02:54 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Aug 30 2012, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wanted this awesome feedback on another page and also to add that being able to stack several MACs onto an exo train should also be looked into. The stacking and automatic welding is too "click and forget" for how strong it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is known, and we'll likely be reducing the welding rate of the MACs on Exos.

--Cory