Marine movement

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Personally I'd want NS1 movement back.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    Aside from Quake engine/GoldSrc glitches allowing for skill-based movement, marines moved slow AND were not able to sprint.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We can has strafing up walls please? I think that could add some more movement freedom to the skulk.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also another movement issue is the way ladders are handled. In source and goldsrc you'd lock on the ladder and the directional keys would move you up the direction you were closest to looking at with full velocity.

In ns2 your speed is relative to how high or low you're looking while on a ladder, which adds a level of frustration when trying to use them.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    needs speed climbing.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    I feel your pain. The horrendous slow backwards walking should go into the Hall of Fame as -Most Lame Balancing Solution Ever-
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982843:date=Sep 25 2012, 09:02 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Sep 25 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea if the skulk is running in a straight line at a marine moving backwards It would be. If you're getting kitted you're bad, that's how it is. It's a mistake you make, not the game. You have walls, you have the ability to surprise, you are faster, you have walljump and/or bhop (or should have it), other teammates to bait, etc. Skulks aren't like marines with only their axes available to them. If you find yourself running towards a marine and he is running away from you if marines had full speed moving backwards and die then it's a problem with you, not the game. Developers shouldn't dumb the game down so that anybody can be competent at it, and that's currently what's happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The devs also shouldn't cater to the 2% of players that want to continue stomping noobs because they've got way too much time on their hands.

This is a difficult game to learn. Making it more difficult to learn this game by making the best players even better will only exacerbate that.

I'm sorry but you will never be able to maneuver a marine like you were able to in NS1. Looks like you'll have to <b>adapt</b> and <b>deal with it.</b>
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    Well.. if we're going to make it realistic then.. a marine should have to crouch to jump..because who the hell jumps any sort of height without getting a spring from your legs. Also if you're going to run backwards at faster speeds then you should trip over the skulk (or anything{rocks, boxes, small ledges}) that's behind you and land on your ass and be eaten on the ground. That goes for strafing as well. And all that armor on a marine? well the marine should get slower with each armor upgrade as its obvious they must be putting on more armor. Same goes for guns. Why would a GL or a flamethrower weigh the same as a lmg? Also! If you haven't noticed the skulk has friggan knives as feet, you should be able to jump on a marine and stab em in the face with those, right? And bunny hop.. im sick of hearing about it. Marines are NOT bunnies, or kangaroos or.. whatever, that has no place in a game, especially on a team that is suppose to be human. Anyway, thats just my 2 cents
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1982908:date=Sep 25 2012, 06:17 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 25 2012, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same goes for guns. Why would a GL or a flamethrower weigh the same as a lmg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In case you haven't noticed, this is actually in the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982911:date=Sep 25 2012, 12:19 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Sep 25 2012, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In case you haven't noticed, this is actually in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well.. my mistake, i must have not noticed... probably because i always have a jp on if i pick one of those weapons.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Whilst marine movement is lame it doesnt need a buff, just a change. The whole game feels sluggish, 7 speed skulk is way to slow, just up marine speed from 6 to 6.5 or so and remove sprint, make the jump slow you down but remove the limit on it and increase skulk base speed. I have to admit alien mobility is in a far shoddier state than marine
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    About sprinting: There's a bug.

Sprinting for only a few meters always leads to the situation that I am not allowed to sprint anymore for a few seconds just like I would have sprinted the whole time until my stamina runs out... that's weird! My stamina should decrease by distance, not by "used once so you need to wait a few secs to sprint again". If I only start to run I should be able to instantly run further with the rest of my stamina. It somehow seems to me that it's reduced to 0 as soon as I release the Shift-button.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    The backwards movement cripple-or-superman dilemma was resolved in NS1 too (sorry to harp on but it really was a million times better). Backwards movement was slow but you could circumvent this with strafe-backwards jumps. This covered decent, but not crazy, ground and was respectably effective when performed well. This was a tradeoff that was relevant even in the highest echelons of competitive play too, where some players preferred dodging with the strafe-jumps while others preferred to keep movement simple for more reliable aim.

As for pogo-jumping: collision, knockback and probably performance are far more to blame than the jump itself. The collision is just retarded at the moment and is desperate for a more simple model-on-model interaction. Knockback, which is pretty unnecessary and mostly detrimental for the skulk, exacerbates the collision problem. Performance engages the rage.

Oh and sprint is boring/bad.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982906:date=Sep 26 2012, 02:11 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 26 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The devs also shouldn't cater to the 2% of players that want to continue stomping noobs because they've got way too much time on their hands.

This is a difficult game to learn. Making it more difficult to learn this game by making the best players even better will only exacerbate that.

I'm sorry but you will never be able to maneuver a marine like you were able to in NS1. Looks like you'll have to <b>adapt</b> and <b>deal with it.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't get it...

Competitive players play against competitive players. We don't give a ###### about noob stomping some stupid pub to caress our ego.

The noobs in pub will play as they always do, this just creates a skill based dodge mechanic for marines without affecting the rest of the playerbase.

ps: This game is not difficult. It is SO EASY compared to NS1
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1982951:date=Sep 26 2012, 03:07 AM:name=Illidan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Illidan @ Sep 26 2012, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About sprinting: There's a bug.

Sprinting for only a few meters always leads to the situation that I am not allowed to sprint anymore for a few seconds just like I would have sprinted the whole time until my stamina runs out... that's weird! My stamina should decrease by distance, not by "used once so you need to wait a few secs to sprint again". If I only start to run I should be able to instantly run further with the rest of my stamina. It somehow seems to me that it's reduced to 0 as soon as I release the Shift-button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this is actually intended rather than bug. Its the result of UWE making sprint unusable unless your stamina bar is 100% full. So if you only tap sprint to 95%, you still can't use it untill it recharges to 100% kinda thing. There is this weird bug though that if you tap sprint once really fast, you'll stay in sprint due to low tickrate i think.

<!--quoteo(post=1983060:date=Sep 26 2012, 08:09 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Sep 26 2012, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The backwards movement cripple-or-superman dilemma was resolved in NS1 too (sorry to harp on but it really was a million times better).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agree! Slower backwards movement adds more movement depth than otherwise.
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983102:date=Sep 25 2012, 07:12 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 25 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't get it...

Competitive players play against competitive players. We don't give a ###### about noob stomping some stupid pub to caress our ego.

The noobs in pub will play as they always do, this just creates a skill based dodge mechanic for marines without affecting the rest of the playerbase.

ps: This game is not difficult. It is SO EASY compared to NS1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldn't have said it better...
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1983158:date=Sep 25 2012, 10:31 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 25 2012, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is actually intended rather than bug. Its the result of UWE making sprint unusable unless your stamina bar is 100% full. So if you only tap sprint to 95%, you still can't use it untill it recharges to 100% kinda thing. There is this weird bug though that if you tap sprint once really fast, you'll stay in sprint due to low tickrate i think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the info! :-)

It's intended like that? o_O Hopefully they re-think about it. It's quite irritating me, even if I now know about it... and doesn't make any sense to me.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983102:date=Sep 25 2012, 08:12 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 25 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't get it...

ps: This game is not difficult. It is SO EASY compared to NS1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Compared to the majority of games out there today this game is very difficult to learn. If it weren't you wouldn't see teams of 10 with two people having a score like 30-5 and the rest having 5-10/15 by the end of the game. You thinking the game is easy is subjective. Scoreboards for every game are an objective fact. This game is not easy.

How could you possibly think giving the skilled players another way to be that much better than normal players WONT affect the rest of the playerbase!? Your logic (if there is any) boggles my mind.

Making the game easier to play will ALWAYS be a good thing. Theres a slim to none chance this game will actually become some sort of e-sport so wouldn't you rather UWE be successful and make a game thats enjoyable for the majority of players? And I don't mean casualizing the hell out of it I mean not including features that only 2% of the playerbase will utilize.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983303:date=Sep 26 2012, 11:45 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 26 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Making the game easier to play will ALWAYS be a good thing. Theres a slim to none chance this game will actually become some sort of e-sport so wouldn't you rather UWE be successful and make a game thats enjoyable for the majority of players? And I don't mean casualizing the hell out of it I mean not including features that only 2% of the playerbase will utilize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That "2%" are people who take the time to actually become skilled at NS2. And yes, taking out all the mechanics that allow skilled players to perform different strategies will "casualize [sic] the hell out of it".

And making the game easier to play is in fact not always a good thing. You could automate moving, aiming, and holding fire until target will be hit, allowing someone to basically hold down M1 to play NS2 the best and easiest they possibly could. Nobody would play that game though, because it would be stupid and boring and trivially easy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983304:date=Sep 26 2012, 12:48 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 26 2012, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That "2%" are people who take the time to actually become skilled at NS2. And yes, taking out all the mechanics that allow skilled players to perform different strategies will "casualize [sic] the hell out of it".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those 2% ruin normal games more than spamming sentries ever will. Jumping around like this is some action game is not a 'strategy' by any stretch of the imagination.
    edited September 2012
    Well... tough. They're entitled to play, and if the fact that they're good "ruins" the game for you, either start your own server and ban them all or go play a game with a low skill ceiling. They bought this game. They have as much a right to play as you do.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983306:date=Sep 26 2012, 12:51 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 26 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well... tough. They're entitled to play, and if the fact that they're good "ruins" the game for you, either start your own server and ban them all or go play a game with a low skill ceiling. They bought this game. They have as much a right to play as you do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Making the game fair is not challenging their right to play! Don't put words into my mouth. I could just as easily tell them all to go play quake if they wanted to play something competitive.

Putting in esoteric movement mechanics don't raise the skill ceiling either. They just give an edge to a certain few players and leave the rest in the dust. Something UWE will never do. So... tough.
    Well if UWE will never do it, why are you here posting about it? Just ignore it and move on, secure in your confidence.

Putting in mechanics that allow the fewer players who master them to have an edge over people who do not is, literally, the definition of raising the skill ceiling.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1983303:date=Sep 27 2012, 02:45 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Sep 27 2012, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>All a marine has to do is spam his spacebar and he becomes several times harder to hit.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-ChickenOfWar+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><i>This is a difficult game to learn. Making it more difficult to learn this game by making the best players even better will only exacerbate that.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-ChickenOfWar+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><i>Compared to the majority of games out there today this game is very difficult to learn.
    This game is not easy.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-ChickenOfWar+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><i>And I don't mean casualizing the hell out of it I mean not including features that only 2% of the playerbase will utilize.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is it? Do only 2% of marines have a spacebar?

<!--QuoteBegin-ChickenOfWar+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><b>Making the game easier to play will ALWAYS be a good thing. </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-ChickenOfWar+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><i>Theres a slim to none chance this game will actually become some sort of e-sport so wouldn't you rather UWE be successful and make a game thats enjoyable for the majority of players?</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice viciously cycling arguement you got yourself there. 2/10 for effort

Do you know what the most popular and played multiplayer pc shooter of all time is? Thats right, cs 1.6. I don't think i need to mention how hard it is to master said game.
    Yes, its aliens vs marines. Not aliens vs supersoldiers. not aliens vs animal/human crossbreads. Aliens vs HUMANS with HUMAN capability that use technology and weapons to defeat the enemy. Take your silly "rocket-jumping(and i use this as an example for ridiculous physics" to a more silly game where it deserves to be. This isnt TF2 or quake or halo or something. Humans should have HUMAN like movement, and aliens should have animal/alien like movement. Thats really ALL there is to it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983316:date=Sep 26 2012, 12:06 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, its aliens vs marines. Not aliens vs supersoldiers. not aliens vs animal/human crossbreads. Aliens vs HUMANS with HUMAN capability that use technology and weapons to defeat the enemy. Take your silly "rocket-jumping(and i use this as an example for ridiculous physics" to a more silly game where it deserves to be. This isnt TF2 or quake or halo or something. Humans should have HUMAN like movement, and aliens should have animal/alien like movement. Thats really ALL there is to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So....you're saying to remove PGs?
    <!--quoteo(post=1983317:date=Sep 26 2012, 01:07 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 26 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So....you're saying to remove PGs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check the part where I said humans using technology and weapons.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983316:date=Sep 27 2012, 03:06 AM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 27 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, its aliens vs marines. Not aliens vs supersoldiers. not aliens vs animal/human crossbreads. Aliens vs HUMANS with HUMAN capability that use technology and weapons to defeat the enemy. Take your silly "rocket-jumping(and i use this as an example for ridiculous physics" to a more silly game where it deserves to be. This isnt TF2 or quake or halo or something. Humans should have HUMAN like movement, and aliens should have animal/alien like movement. Thats really ALL there is to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    go youtube tumbling, parkour etc. Humans are capable of more than you think.

For everything else, nanites.
    <!--quoteo(post=1983319:date=Sep 26 2012, 12:15 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Sep 26 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->go youtube tumbling, parkour etc. Humans are capable of more than you think.

For everything else, nanites.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    MasterCard spoof poster. Make it happen, NS2 mappers!
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983316:date=Sep 26 2012, 01:06 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Sep 26 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, its aliens vs marines. Not aliens vs supersoldiers. not aliens vs animal/human crossbreads. Aliens vs HUMANS with HUMAN capability that use technology and weapons to defeat the enemy. Take your silly "rocket-jumping(and i use this as an example for ridiculous physics" to a more silly game where it deserves to be. This isnt TF2 or quake or halo or something. Humans should have HUMAN like movement, and aliens should have animal/alien like movement. Thats really ALL there is to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ignoring the fact that you tried to place realism into a shooter and make it out to be a good thing instead of the most detrimental thing about current game design, last time I checked in real life you can move backwards and jump without breaking your leg on the second time jumping. And I highly doubt in the distant future where soldiers are highly trained to fight in outer space in hostile terrain that the most effective method of countering alien life forms would be repeatedly jumping up and down and flailing their weapon around to stun anything that tries to bite them. But then again they are more likely to have smartguns and motion detectors by then. Seriously though, there are plenty of games that are all about immersion and 0 gameplay already such as BF, CoD, Crysis 2 etc. We don't need more of those.