Movement Mod

Comments

• WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880816:date=Oct 20 2011, 11:23 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 20 2011, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just out of interest, what do you people think about the alien vs marine skill scaling and balance related to it?

Do the aliens scale in skill enough? The marines are challenged by new detail overload, dark maps, teleport blink, early leap and all that. Meanwhile aliens have more simplistic and easy to use movement abilities at their disposal, but very little room to grow onwards from there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I agree. I think the aliens don't have a high enough skill ceiling and when the game is completely balanced I can see it favouring marines. I feel like marines are already favoured in combat greatly if the skill between the players is equal.

I hope they add in more complexity to the alien side and skills that are difficult to master. It reminds me of L4D at the moment. In L4D the zombie team basically had a very low skill ceiling. It became more about timing your attacks along with your team rather than performing well as a player. There wasn't really any players that stood out as being better at the zombie classes since most good players could play them the same.

It's similar to the flamerthrower in NS2 (one of the reasons I wish it was removed). You never see someone who is really good with the flamethrower. Almost everyone is equal in their abilities with it because the skill ceiling is so low. If they really wanted to include a weapon that sets the aliens on fire, I think it would be much better to have a flare gun or something that requires aim. They could then make aliens that are on fire take extra damage. Flare gun would replace your pistol. You shoot the alien with it first then switch to your primary to start dealing damage.

I really hope they add in some more skill based mechanics for the alien team. It makes the game much more fun for everyone and ultimately it's just good game design to make it difficult to master.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited October 2011
    I agree with Fana, and whatever he said.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->>_> <_< Never say never. I can't even play CoD and the like since the gameplay seems so horribly simplistic. It pretty much feels like I just had a full frontal lobotomy which compels me to clap my hands like a seal while eating my ice cream. Hopefully NS2 can find a good balance between full frontal lobotomy, and bottomless pit of despair (Eve Online) levels of difficulty to make the movement abilities sublime to learn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah given that EVE is so hard and boring to learn, I'm amazed they built such a big game. Well it looks good at least, and there're plenty of features.

Talking about EVE online, its also a pity that Freelancer died. Unlike EVE which is a clickfest, Freelancer had some skill to its combat movement and worked perfectly with the mouse. It was fun, but now Jumpgate Evolution is not coming, and Black Propehcy was badly done. Seems to that making these working space games, which are both fun for casual and more hardcore, are such a massive programming mission nobody gets them done. If I were a game investor, I'd definitely look into that segment.

Imo. Freelancer was one of the best space games made, it had some nice story to it, and a massive multiplayer world with real people, and skillful combat. The space scenes were beatiful too and music was fitting chill out. Basically it was fun on all levels. Just needed more content and a rea MMORPG version. One of my best experiences in gaming.

EDIT: On topic, nice idea for mod, I'll have to try this out at some time.

EDIT2:
    If you wanna go into NS1 direction, just make NS2 blink like NS1, make it add an accelerating vector to the movement code, no teleports or anything like that. Simple and skillful.

EDIT3:
    I might aswell give you some tips on this since I played around with this.

First if you want NS1 movement, you need to port the whole goldsrc movement code which is here:
    <a href="http://amxxgroup.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/hlsdk-2.3-p3/multiplayer/pm_shared/pm_shared.c" target="_blank">http://amxxgroup.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...red/pm_shared.c</a>

Port PM_Move() and its helper functions.

You need to draw a flow chart to really understand but you I think its possible to port the code to lua without understanding the mechanics since there are quite a many similar variables.

Easy fix to make marine movement more skilled: remove all speed changes related to crouching and jumping. This is like the older marine movement mode (pre jump-limit) in NS2 but with crouch just changing viewmodel size, nothing else. You can just find some old, probably around build 178 movement code and just check the differences.

Basically by porting the movement code and fixing the blink, you could go very far. Lerk needs celerity, but the flight model is fine.

Thank puzl for this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1880531:date=Oct 18 2011, 01:40 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 18 2011, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bunny hopping. Otherwise, where does it end, should we have skill based voice communication? How about skill based server list refreshing and connecting? Sounds silly? Because it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->not taking the bait.. not taking the bait..<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    listen, i'm not getting into it, but suffice to say if you search these forums you will find near 50/50 equivalency depending on the month of arguments for or against bunny hopping. just because you dont like it and think skilled gameplay mechanics based on an old engine glitch isn't a legitimate form of gameplay is just that - your opinion.
    <b>No need to bring this subject up.</b>
    but as long as its a <u>MOD FORUM</u>, people can implement whatever the hell they want.
    agree?
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880771:date=Oct 20 2011, 03:31 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 20 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html" target="_blank">QWOP</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well there goes half my night...
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881083:date=Oct 21 2011, 08:17 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Oct 21 2011, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: On topic, nice idea for mod, I'll have to try this out at some time.

EDIT2:
    If you wanna go into NS1 direction, just make NS2 blink like NS1, make it add an accelerating vector to the movement code, no teleports or anything like that. Simple and skillful.

EDIT3:
    I might aswell give you some tips on this since I played around with this.

First if you want NS1 movement, you need to port the whole goldsrc movement code which is here:
    <a href="http://amxxgroup.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/hlsdk-2.3-p3/multiplayer/pm_shared/pm_shared.c" target="_blank">http://amxxgroup.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...red/pm_shared.c</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I ported in some basic Quake 3 ground movement code awhile back just for fun. On the ground, it felt pretty good. But since I was using my hack version of air control with it, it didn't feel as good as it could have overall. It took me a few hours and I still ended up breaking a lot of other movement functions because I had alter the groundmove mixin. Honestly, I lack the programming experience and endurance to port the whole thing. I would love to see someone do it though.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1880743:date=Oct 19 2011, 06:41 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 19 2011, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TBH I would prefer all skill sets relate directly to combat. While bunny hopping does relate to combat in specific circumstances, it's main use is travelling faster. In other words, it makes doing mundane things difficult for a speed gain.

I want what is best for the game, I do not believe adding bunny hopping is the correct choice. This point of view has also been reflected by FPS game developers for over half a decade now across the board. I'm not about to pretend I know more about gaming than industry experts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The learning curve of optional advanced skills wont interfere with new players' experiences if the skill/matchmaking system is implemented correctly to group people of similar skill. Having those advanced skills does nothing but benefit the game in that case.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1881099:date=Oct 22 2011, 05:27 AM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 22 2011, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I ported in some basic Quake 3 ground movement code awhile back just for fun. On the ground, it felt pretty good. But since I was using my hack version of air control with it, it didn't feel as good as it could have overall. It took me a few hours and I still ended up breaking a lot of other movement functions because I had alter the groundmove mixin. Honestly, I lack the programming experience and endurance to port the whole thing. I would love to see someone do it though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Amen. :)
    edited October 2012
    Dude, this mod is amazing. It almost feels too easy to bunny hop though, I'm a total noob at it in ns1 but was doing okay in this mod. I'll let someone more experienced with the ns1 movement mechanics be the judge of that though.

The strafing is awesome. It's the first thing I noticed that feels really similar to source games I've played.

I think I found a bug though. It's funny because cs:go had this exact same bug in it's beta. If you quickly alternate pressing A and D while running then you get a speed boost.

Also, Jetpack is insane!

EDIT: For some reason I can't get this to work any more. I keep getting "Server mod is out of date", it says lerk.lua and 3 others fail consistency check but I'm just trying to play on a local server.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Wilson

<!--quoteo(post=1985427:date=Sep 30 2012, 10:25 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Sep 30 2012, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: For some reason I can't get this to work any more. I keep getting "Server mod is out of date", it says lerk.lua and 3 others fail consistency check but I'm just trying to play on a local server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It looks like when I republish the mod, it creates a second version (folder) of the mod in the workshop folder. Until you delete the obsolete version, the game will keep trying to run it as if it's the current version - causing the consistency errors. Hopefully there's an easier way around this than deleting that folder every update...
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome job you've done here! With few minor bugfixes and tweaks this could really help the current competitive community.
    Thanks for your support!

Exo thrusters and gorge slide are working now.
    The readyroom player can now bunnyhop.
    Crouch no longer slows you until you're fully crouched. I also fixed some bugs with it clamping your speed too low.
    Jump heights have been slightly lowered to match NS1.
    edited October 2012
    Ok another quick update (sorry, but this one is worth it!)

I added skulk wall vaulting. It magnitude of the boost is the same as NS1, only it doesn't clamp your speed at that magnitude. It instead uses the clamp of a normal ground jump. The result is that wall vaults can be chained with bunnyhopping in a really cool way! It truly benefits all skill levels.

I also added in initial blink velocity that is half as strong as NS1 blink. Because NS1 blink increases your velocity at 0.1s intervals and my mod was updating it at a continuous rate, the velocity was on average 0.05s behind NS1 blink. This should fix that and potentially allow for finer control than NS1.
    edited October 2012
    The marine movement in this mod is so awesome. I wish it was officially implemented. It feels so much more responsive than the ns2 movement. More people need to try this!

Any tips for combing the wallhop with bhop? I couldn't do it without losing all my speed.
    edited October 2012
    The wall vault only uses the view angle and not movement keys, so make sure you're facing away from the wall you're jumping from. Try to plan it so that you're facing the same general direction as you're moving when you jump, because 30% of your current velocity is added to the jump velocity.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The marine movement is EXACTLY the way it should be.

EXACTLY THE WAY.

Even though the bunny hop could use some work in terms of execution, it's definitely headed in the right direction. Keep in mind that turning half-circle while moving in HL1 engine produced that sudden burst of speed. Maybe you could incorporate that type of mouse influence.

I won't get excited, simply because getting excited for anything as mind blowing as this is merely a pipe-dream. I just wish UWE actually looked into this more actively.

This is EXXXAACCCTLY the way the marine movement should feel, WAY more responsive than the sluggishness that the current NS2 has.

This might actually make aiming even better, since aiming is also about movement.

Job well done.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Best stuff there is at the moment, I aint playing "normal" NS2 anymore this is that good.

Small tweaks and its going to be purfect! (JP) and forward key slowdown off.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    which servers are running this mod?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I shall convince exertus
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Wall vault should really be reconsidered as if the base strafe-jumping mechanic is good enough, then you should only really need to maintain speed from wall-jumps without any other added benefit. At the very least you might need a cooldown for consecutive wall-vaults on the same surface as it's pretty trivial to reach 12 speed from a stand still with a flat wall and no other knowledge of strafe-jumping.

I think your blink mechanic is pretty damn good if you just lower the base speed of it by 2-3 to just encourage strafe-jumping to get the extra bit of speed it's at currently.

Also yeah, the not being able to hold forward restriction of gldsrc is one best left out as it doesn't do anything to improve the movement mechanics.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986626:date=Oct 3 2012, 10:50 AM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Oct 3 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also yeah, the not being able to hold forward restriction of gldsrc is one best left out as it doesn't do anything to improve the movement mechanics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it was also one of the most counter intuitive parts of bhop, I would be glad to see it go. This one change helps make bhop a lot easier to figure out with out instruction.
    edited October 2012
    I've changed wall vault so that it won't increase your speed unless you're moving slower than 8.75. I want to make sure it doesn't compete with bunnyhop in being the primary movement mechanic.

I also made a pass on jetpack movement / fuel to be more like NS1 at 100fps.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is awesome. By the way.
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    Any servers running this? I open this up in a local game, have so much fun jumping around, then want to play with people. I join servers with default movement, *facepalm*.
    Updated to build 222

<!--quoteo(post=1989481:date=Oct 10 2012, 08:29 PM:name=Muzzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzzy @ Oct 10 2012, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any servers running this? I open this up in a local game, have so much fun jumping around, then want to play with people. I join servers with default movement, *facepalm*.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I haven't seen any servers running it. I'd love to see how it plays.
    Updated to 224.

However, a small disclaimer with this build: I've noticed dozens of small hitches happening every second while turn-strafing. I'm sure this has to do with the new movement prediction. I'm not sure how long it will take to fix.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1997169:date=Oct 25 2012, 07:54 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 25 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Updated to 224.

However, a small disclaimer with this build: I've noticed dozens of small hitches happening every second while turn-strafing. I'm sure this has to do with the new movement prediction. I'm not sure how long it will take to fix.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are hitches when stopping in the new build of NS2. I would assume the bug is actually an NS2 bug rather than your own code. I'd expect it to be solved next patch..
    Well this is really bad news.

Move commands only update 30 times per second as of build 224. This means that any speed gains made by air turn-strafing are going to be negligible, just as they are when playing with fps_max at 30 in NS1.

For this mod to work properly, I'd expect it would need ~100 updates per second. But from matso's post, having the update rate above 60/s totally killed server performance.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Seriously, this sucks...it's probably also bad for hitreg, like playing on a 30tickrate server in source. I can't see it changing though, since updating move commands more frequently was causing performance to be much worse. :(
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The lowering of the move rate will make the game feel less precise overall, but bear in mind that NS2's implementation does not hard clamp your moves like Source, and any bugs resulting in the hit detection from this were most likely already existing bugs that are just now amplified by it...

Also it should have 0 effect on movement speed if you are using input.time in all your calculations, otherwise your movement would have been based on framerate like in NS1 which is undesirable.