Steam Workshop - Publisher connection backup

Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Will I be able to update my mod after NS2 reinstall?</div>I am sorry if this was answered already, but

I was wondering, what will happen to my mod in case of (for example) HDD crash. I know that mods released through publisher are tied to unique ID. So in case I will lost all my data and I will have to reinstall NS2 and Steam, will this connection between my mod and his ID on Workshop be restored or will I have to release it again under different ID, thus creating duplicate and loosing all my subscribers?

Should Steam Cloud be involved in this somehow?

Comments

• HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not sure, but I would imagine you need the info.xml file that was in the .publish folder of your mod. The id in there must get converted to your unique steam workshop id. I don't know if the conversion is done by Valve or the publisher, but I imagine if you recover this number then you'd be able to publish again.
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><options>
    <build/>
    <description>
    Hello World
    </description>
    <id>9988XXXX</id>
    <kind>Cosmetic</kind>
    <title>Huze Mod</title>
    <visibility>Public</visibility>
    </options><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also just remembered you have a mod_info.xml file in your %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/Workshop directory which contains all the mods you're subscribed to. This contains each mod's id. So if you ever lost all your files, you could reconstruct everything you need to publish to the same id.
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><options>
        <m5e4c7a6>
            <version>1348542143</version>
            <kind>Cosmetic</kind>
            <id>98879398</id>
            <title>Minimal Alien Vision</title>
            <active>true</active>
        </m5e4c7a6>
    </options><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

You also have an options.xml in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/Workshop which contains the path to all your active publisher mods.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    I had the same issue, as Huze said the only thing you need is the <id>idcode</id> to connect it to your Steam account again. In case you've lost the id you can simply go to your own workshop and go to the related workshop item page, the id is in the url. you can somply add it to the xml file for you mod :)
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    Sounds <b>somple</b> enough Kouji.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1996368:date=Oct 24 2012, 08:50 PM:name=Motig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Motig @ Oct 24 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds <b>somple</b> enough Kouji.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well somply enough is always better than simply :P