Door entities

WhiskeyWhiskey Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167578Members
Has anyone been able to use door entities in their map? I have one in mine and can see it visible in spark but when I got in game to view it, there's only the hole that I have cut out for the door, but no door. I don't run into it either, it just not there. Any ideas?

Comments

• TwixitTwixit Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167120Members
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    Just tried using a door entity, placed it, ran the map, worked. Upload you're map so i can take a look.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If I had to take a guess, you're not using the door entity but the door prop? Props have no code attached to it to make it interactive, in this case it needs to be a door entity.
  • WhiskeyWhiskey Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167578Members
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm sure I'm using an entity for it. I created a new map, with just a floor, a door entity, ready room start, and gamerules. Still doesn't work. I also haven't modified any luas. Attached is the test map. Thoughts?!
    Did you tried it with the pathing_settings? Can´t test your map atm...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Well I think we have a new "minimum setup" for maps, when starting that map the game was spewing out lua errors about not having tech_points, resnodes, power_points and location entities. And the door was not visible in the map

I've added this to make it work:

2 tech_points
    2 power_points
    2 resnodes
    2 location entities (encasing one "base" each)

I've also tried removing the ns2_gamerules, that causes the game to crash with a script error from Gamerules_Global.lua
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    I can confirm that you need tech points. If you don't the entity simply won't be there.

Imagine the game going down a checklist that looks like this:

-ns2_gamerules
    -techpoint
    -door
    -other stuff

Now, the game is going to go through that list. It finds the ns2_gamerules, no problem, moving on. Let's see ... tech points... no tech points... let's complain and not go on with the list until we have our damn techpoints!

I'm guessing this is the basic "Why!?!" to the door mystery.
    <!--quoteo(post=2020968:date=Nov 12 2012, 06:22 PM:name=Krozu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krozu @ Nov 12 2012, 06:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can confirm that you need tech points. If you don't the entity simply won't be there.

Imagine the game going down a checklist that looks like this:

-ns2_gamerules
    -techpoint
    -door
    -other stuff

<b>Now, the game is going to go through that list. It finds the ns2_gamerules, no problem, moving on. Let's see ... tech points... no tech points... let's complain and not go on with the list until we have our damn techpoints!</b>

I'm guessing this is the basic "Why!?!" to the door mystery.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, love that comment! XD

But that makes sense to me that there is kinda checklist.
  • WhiskeyWhiskey Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167578Members
    Thanks for the help everyone! I hadn't added any of that since ultimately this would be part of a mod. Looks like I'll need to figure out how to comment out those checks in the luas. Thanks again
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020921:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:37 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 13 2012, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I think we have a new "minimum setup" for maps, when starting that map the game was spewing out lua errors about not having tech_points, resnodes, power_points and location entities. And the door was not visible in the map

I've added this to make it work:

2 tech_points
    2 power_points
    2 resnodes
    2 location entities (encasing one "base" each)

I've also tried removing the ns2_gamerules, that causes the game to crash with a script error from Gamerules_Global.lua<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't feel like doing up a template map do you? :) I think it would help a lot of people, as well as for testing, if you could open up a map that you know works, and whack in some entities. I know you did ns2_sample (and its fantastic for learning), but if you just want to try something super quick its not such a fast process.

Just like a ready room, all the required entities, and a hallway way with 2x techpoints/locations etc. really small :)