New dlc and not on steam front page?

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm just wondering. We have a awesome updatet with lot of improvements. But why come it isn't highlighted in steam so people are aware of it. Also that it's cheaper price now?

Or maybe I missed something.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    on the front page of steam, it's on the 2nd set of featured PC games and also in the specials tab.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    edited March 2013
    The "Featured Games" list under the big games scrolling banner is randomized on each page load. NS2 is there but it might not always show up on page 1 of the "Featured Games" list.

It is however, on page 1 of the Specials tab.

25th on the Number of players per game stats page.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see it in feature pc games. Only i special tab. I wish they putted it up on the spotligt or something. So all could have seen this big content updatet.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was wondering the same thing. In the past, when Team Fortress 2 gets a big update, they have it featured in the main scroller thingy. Here are some examples:

capsule-example-01_zps33959b67.jpg

capsule-example-02_zps84d0ada0.png

Also, why is the change log not posted on the Steam News page?!? That's free advertising and an easy way to show off all the improvements that NS2 is receiving! People do actually read that page on a daily basis. I know because I am one of them.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Torchlight 2 got on the frontpage again too with their free DLC.

They really need to get it up there, as it stands it's not even in the top 40 top selling steam games... Getting sales is vital to the future of NS 2 and it's kind of sad to see a huge opportunity squandered like this :( War of the roses and mark of the ninja have their own spotlight, why can't NS2 be on there too?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ahh yes, the crafting update - think that's when I stopped playing TF2. Silly hats :( Tried co-op with some friends... there were 4 of us waiting for 20 minutes to try to get into a server, loads of empty servers, no game. That was a total shambles!

But the point is, those banners from TF2 undoubtedly got people to try the game out again, or to try it for the first time. Would be great to have something more prominent for NS2. I'm buying extra copies to give to my steam friends, and have done status updates on all the social media outlets to which I subscribe. More exposure for NS2 right now can only be a good thing!

Roo
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Seconded.
    Even the slightest mini update in dota or tf2 gets documented and announced, look!
    Please cluster bomb Steam News! See image for reference:
    zwischenablage1x.png
    I scrolled down and searched thourougly - it's as if the Gorgeous Update does not even exist

Not only Valve's big titles get that extra promo, but also much smaller ones like Killing Floor who scored front page picture announcement when they brought out their free Christmas Update.
    Why not UWE as well?
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    Well NS2 is now 11 on the top sellers list.

I do agree that UWE should see if they could get a banner going. This is a huge update and warrents being in the scrolling game list at the top of Steam.

UWE if you have a contact for Valve that we can send e-mails to, requesting this from the fans might get you it for free :P

I'm sure all of us would shoot an email at Valve.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    borderlands2 went back on the big banners for the dlc too
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    edited March 2013
    The weird thing is that NS2 doesn't feature in either "weekend deal" spotlight or "today's deal" spotlight or really any other spotlight or notice on steam, despite getting what is basically free DLC and being 50% off for few days. You have to open the tag "special" and actually scroll DOWN to see the NS2 sale.

I mean its nice it has a 50% discount, but it wont help very much when nobody knows about it.

• sedeksedek Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170750Members
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. In the past, when Team Fortress 2 gets a big update, they have it featured in the main scroller thingy. Here are some examples:

Gee, I wonder if that's because TF2 is developed by the same company who runs the Steam Service, and has a larger playerbase by an order of magnitude or two?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Yes, the steam page realy should be kept up to date.
    Potential buyers will look at it, and think that the game isnt supported or dead.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This is pretty problematic to be honest, we all know the extra revenue is vital to the future of NS2.
  • TizoTizo Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175552Members
    I'm taking a wild guess here, but maybe Valve charges some extra money to put games on the weekend deals, daily specials or even that pop-up with game updates...
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Tizo wrote: »
    I'm taking a wild guess here, but maybe Valve charges some extra money to put games on the weekend deals, daily specials or even that pop-up with game updates...

An astute assumption
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Y'all gots ta go pimp this thing on all yallz facebooks and whatever.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sedek wrote: »
    -WildCat- wrote: »

Gee, I wonder if that's because TF2 is developed by the same company who runs the Steam Service, and has a larger playerbase by an order of magnitude or two?

capsule-example-03_zpsc63d30b4.jpg

capsule-example-04_zpse8730358.jpg
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I remember when 'DLC' was called patch.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    yeah there is no info on steam besides discount games that ns2 is on sale. what a pitty they going to lose money because of that
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    XCOM's "new" DLC came out weeks ago and they're still featured in the scroller thingy on the front page of the store as having "new" DLC. That's only one example; there's loads of stuff up there that's not even remotely new or current. I can't imagine why NS2 isn't featured there as well especially given that it's on sale.
    edited March 2013
    Ding-ding-ding! New idea:
    Contact Valve and co-develop some NS2-themed items for TF2, maybe a Frontiersman helmet/hat or one of the weapons; e.g. a welder for the Engineer instead of his usual Wrench (I think you caught my drift).
    A lot of games are featured in TF2 by now... Alien Swarm, the new Deus Ex, XCOM, ... pretty much every new game that comes out these days.

Next step: Profit.

Edit: Couple that with a free weekend.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    I wonder if there's some weird estrangement between Unknown Worlds and Valve, since they bailed on the Source engine so long ago...

I've always found the lack of NS2 advertisement, news updates for patches, etc. kind of strange.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Simple answer is that front page spot probably costs money.

Also: patch log was added to the Steam thingie.
    edited March 2013
    I always thought the front page is populatedby the Top10 Best sellers + some big AAA titles that will be/have been released.
    Before and after the Winter Sale (when NS2 was 60% off), it showed up in the showcase quite often.
  • TizoTizo Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175552Members
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Ding-ding-ding! New idea:
    Contact Valve and co-develop some NS2-themed items for TF2,

Edit: Couple that with a free weekend.

While TF2 cross-promotions would probably lead to some extra sales, I believe they wouldn't do much to grow a stable playerbase for NS2 or even lead to a net profit.

All games that get TF2 hat deals usually receive a massive influx of players that play exactly the amount of time they need to get their hats, then never come back to the game. Valve probably charges a substantial amount for this type of campaign, so the new sales would have to make up for these charges, plus all development costs. And the average hat-seeking player is not exactly effective in spreading the game to his friends, since he doesn't really play the game for enough time to get a good feel for it (especially a game with a more severe learning curve like NS)

Besides, are these campaigns still having a big effect? I haven't played TF2 in a while, but I imagine that its playerbase must be declining, since it is several years old by now...
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    tf2 playerbase declining? you must be joking... even if people bought ns2 just for the hats and never play it again it was still money in the bank for the devs just because of a silly hat
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    back when unusuals were released i had no idea what they were and gave mine away in a pub and people freaked out. I thought they forgot to take their medicine or something.