FPS engine cap

BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I run a 120hz monitor, but not for the 3D depth, I run it so that it can draw 120 frames per second, up from the typical 60 frames per second monitors (60hz). I have found that it makes games way smoother. But the caveat is the game must be able to actually push out 120fps consistently.

I observed last night that my FPS would not exceed 60fps. It would occasionally dip down to say 55fps or 45fps, but always hit exactly 60fps.

But BloodyIron, are you sure vsync is off?

Yes. I checked in game and with my AMD CCC control panel. vsync is forced off. Furthermore, if you understand the nature of vsync you would realize that FPS figures such as 55 and 45 are not possible when vsync is on. For the laymen, it works in ratios. So if I can't push 60, it would drop to 30, then 15, then about 7.5.

But BloodyIron, are you sure your monitor is running at 120hz?

Yes. I checked the windows display manager and the monitor was set to 120hz. This is the method I use for other games too, and in titles such as TF2 it is very noticeable.

So it seems to me the engine is hard locked at 60fps. Or I am missing a setting somewhere that is limiting it. If it is an engine limit, can we get this address? If I am missing a setting, please enlighten me?

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Check your CPU usage. The core NS2 uses for most of the game code is probably maxed. This determines FPS. You can have quintuple SLI supermax gforce 8000000001. NS2 only cares about CPU GHz. Having atleast dual core matters, but beyond that, its all about CPU speed.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you're running in full screen windowed, it's a known bug that you are locked to 60fps. Change modes to fullscreen and back and the lock with be unlocked again.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is probably my issue, thanks folks. Hopefully it will be fixed some time, I do love my windowed noborder mode :3

Obraxis wrote: »
    If you're running in full screen windowed, it's a known bug that you are locked to 60fps. Change modes to fullscreen and back and the lock with be unlocked again.
    MiniH0wie wrote: »

I'm running on an i7-980x. Few processors even today can keep up with it. If you think this game is taxing my CPU, think again.

thefonz wrote: »
    Check your CPU usage. The core NS2 uses for most of the game code is probably maxed. This determines FPS. You can have quintuple SLI supermax gforce 8000000001. NS2 only cares about CPU GHz. Having atleast dual core matters, but beyond that, its all about CPU speed.

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I didn't know about the issue, and I don't know your specs, so I defaulted to standard rhetoric. :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Your issue is the windowed fullscreen bug. Until a hotfix can be released, another workaround (if you want to keep using windowed noborder mode), is to use a program like ShiftWindow to move the NS2 window to simulate the noborder effect.
    BloodyIron wrote: »
    I'm running on an i7-980x. Few processors even today can keep up with it. If you think this game is taxing my CPU, think again.
    NS2 is CPU bottlenecking Sandy/Ivy bridge i7's in the 4.5+GHz range so, presuming you have a GPU released in the last five years, it is almost certainly being bottlenecked by your 980x.

Edit: Easiest way to check is to type r_stats into console while playing. If the 'waiting for GPU' line consistently stays at or below 1-2ms, then its your CPU that's the bottleneck.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i feel offended.

he comes here telling me the game is locked at 60fps, yet i can get over 100fps.

clearly i'm a moron and misreading the stats display.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This has already been fixed for the next patch (or possible hotfix i]standby[/i)
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    This is probably my issue, thanks folks. Hopefully it will be fixed some time, I do love my windowed noborder mode :3

Obraxis wrote: »
    MiniH0wie wrote: »

thefonz wrote: »

You should think again, first of all, hyper threading doesn't mean squat for NS2. Secondly, the game is poorly optimized. With this patch with everything on LOW, I get 55fps average, on 4.8Ghz liquid cooled i5.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) The issue appears to be resolved now.

2) the 980x is a marked down xeon. it's not just that it has 12 threads, but that each thread is significantly more efficient than the others in the series. I'm also pretty sure i7's dont come stock at 4.5ghz even on the top end, as such I'm still running stock clocks at 3.33ghz.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow

2) the 980x is a marked down xeon. it's not just that it has 12 threads, but that each thread is significantly more efficient than the others in the series. I'm also pretty sure i7's dont come stock at 4.5ghz even on the top end, as such I'm still running stock clocks at 3.33ghz.
    Yes, he means overclocked CPU's-
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't hit 120fps in NS2 any way, weve all tried, see this:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128227/possible-120-fps
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow

The 980x is an amazing processor. I have a 2600k myself. Any chance you could show how hard each core is working while playing NS2? I have my 2600k @ 4.6Ghz and it absolutely slams one core. Is it the same for you?

Also, glad your issue was resolved!

Cheers,
    Cody
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members

2) the 980x is a marked down xeon. it's not just that it has 12 threads, but that each thread is significantly more efficient than the others in the series

Uhhhh it doesn't seem so:
    http://www.tomshw.it/cont/articolo/amd-fx-ed-efficienza-energetica-confronto-con-otto-cpu-intel-e-amd-efficienza-single-threaded/34689/13.html

(sry if the language is italian, but the graphs should be enough)