241 broke capturing with OBS

SwatinemSwatinem Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164362Members
Up until now i used OBS to stream some NS2 games.

Well streaming with OBS was always difficult, there are these options to stream:

# Desktop Capture
captures the whole desktop, is horribly slow and unusable, when you tab out, your whole desktop is shown so it is a huge privacy leak

# Game Capture
requires the game to run in fullscreen mode, otherwise its just black

# Window Capture
requires vsync, otherwise it does not capture every frame and the stream lags and is unusable.

Since I tab out of the game like at least 2 times a minute, I need to run borderless window mode. Up until now, I used window capture with it, which required vsync. Up until the latest patch, it worked fine. Now somehow vsync and the ability to use window capture is broken.
Game capture requires fullscreen mode, which I don’t want to use, even though it might work well for capturing.

So I’m basically out of options now. Any advice?

Comments

• StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use Desktop Capture and force Aero off. Works like a charm for me, even though it has privacy issues.
  • SwatinemSwatinem Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164362Members
    Well it seems like vsync is broken with the latest patch.
    Note that double/triple buffering is not the same as waiting for vsync.
    I had the problem recently that the game was running with double buffering at 60+ fps, but it was noticeably lagging, as though only half of the frames actually got to my display.

Now with double buffering off, I see tearing but at least there is only one buffer to scan out so it can not happen that a stale buffer is being pushed to the screen.
    242, and vsync is still broken.
    There really were some good perf improvements in the last patch. But its no use if I have 80+ fps when for some reason only every 2nd frame is scanned out to my display and I got stuttering.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    How exactly is vsync broken for you?
    Well its just what I think must be going on when I look at the symptoms: That frames that the game claims to be rendered dont get to the display and I see stuttering; also OBS with window capture and borderless fullscreen which relies on vsync doesn’t get the frames either so I have to use fullscreen + game capture for it to work.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    If you are using vsync try also setting maxfps 60 in console (or whatever your refresh rate is), that makes the stuttering go away for me. You might want to bind a key to "maxfps 60" because it gets reset after each mapchange.