Performance Problems

2»

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thanks, I'll probably be getting a water cooling one within the week.

As far as damage goes, I've been running on about 4.5 for a fair while, and the 5.0 I only tested for 10 minutes before I had to turn it down, so I doubt there's damage.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Depends how you tested.. It wont always just show.
    GL in any case
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Actually 1.525 is within the range recommended by an ASUS tech for my particular setup.
    An ASUS tech said up to 1.525 vcore was safe for overclocking a 2600k with the stock cooler? I don't doubt you can achieve or maintain a stable 24/7 OC with that high of a vcore with very good cooling (min = water, better = phase-change, or if your just benching = liquid nitrogen), but the craptastic intel cooler is never going to get close to that.

The biggest issue is that when you get so close to the Intel max vcore for Sandy Bridge, the small fluctuations in your vcore (particularly from vdroop) can push your voltage over the CPUs limit. It may not kill your CPU immediately, but its like hitting someone with a baseball every day for 10 years; any one blow might not kill them, but the cumulative effect is devastating.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    @Ghosthree3 a well cooled OC cpu will always perform better then a higher OC bad cooled one.
    Im completely with ScardyBob on this one.
    GL with your non stock fans. :)

I disagree.
    The badly cooled CPU will perform worse than the well cooled one only if it hits its thermal limit and throttles down.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited March 2013
    @buhehe, which it probably will. ScardyBob already said it. Even before throttling down, it can do some damage. it takes a while, but it is happening.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    @buhehe, which it probably will. ScardyBob already said it. Even before throttling down, it can do some damage. it takes a while, but it is happening.

Yea but I wanted to put emphasis on the "Always" word.
    Replace it with "sometimes" ;)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    buhehe wrote: »
    Yea but I wanted to put emphasis on the "Always" word.
    Replace it with "sometimes" ;)
    How hard you push a CPU (i.e. your vcore limit) is really just a measure of how long you want the chip to survive. You could up your vcore to 2.0 (presuming your mobo would let you) if you didn't care if it survived the day. The trouble is that you typically don't know how 24/7 vcore and longevity correlate until your CPU croaks.