Natural Selection 2: Forsaken

124»

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • lucskywalkerlucskywalker Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172397Members
    Thank you :D.

I still have some bugs to fix before releasing this version.
    I'll try to publish it for Sunday ;).

The next version will be an important version. By important, I mean a VERY major version.
    I will talk about it after the release of alpha 5.
    edited February 2013
    the other part from yesterday's play test

edited February 2013
    Today is ALPHA 5 day!
    - Alien evolution costs change (major)
    - All alien roles are balanced (except for Skulk and Onos)
    - Aliens are slower (-15%)
    - Aliens are rewarded (of few PRes) when they kill a marine
    - New alien vision

- Flashlight is no more permanent (It recharges when it's off)
    - Better motion tracking sound
    - Better "red screen" with heartbeats
    - Ambient sounds
    - Flare/flashlight twinkle effect
    - Marines are not show on the map during the first seconds.

- Some fix :D
    There's one server running the mod which always shows 8/16 player count....but is actually empty. Except when it's not.
    This server must not exist. This is a bug from ns2 (or steam?) i think :/.
    Played some rounds today. Balance is better. Marines seem to win twice as much as before, but still less than aliens.

Great videos :). Thank you.

As i said before, the next version will be big. For two main reason:
    - Longer game
    - Marine respawn

By "longer rounds", I mean that marines will need more than 10 minutes to achieve their missions.
    There is a lot of solutions to lengthen the duration of the round. One of these solutions is that the Marines have more than one objective during the game.
    For example: After defeating the Hive, they must escape at a place and survive for few minutes. Or they must rebuild a base before besiege the Hive. There is a lot of ideas but the goal is to lengthen the game.

Following this, there will be the second change: No permanent death for marines.
    One of the main feature of Forsaken becomes annoying. If the game becomes longer, the marine gameplay should not be unbalanced by the duration of the game. They need to regenerate a part of their injuries between each objective. And this is not fun to wait the end of a looong game.
    BUT! The death IS a penalty for marines in this mod, and must be a penalty for the player and his teammates. If the death does not penalize, the atmosphere of this mod is no longer a good one, for marines.

So here is the solution:
    - When a marine dies, a "blue egg" will spawn, randomly on the map, after one minute. There is a limit of simultaneous blue eggs on the map.
    - This special egg contains a "prisoner" (the dead player) and is very resistant. No one knows where it is (marines must search for it).
    - The player respawn when the egg is broken, with half HP and armor, a pistol and an axe.

In order to give a chance to these jesus, few weapons and tools will be placed randomly on the map.

Here is the concept. This feature gives an helping hand to marines, but the death penalty is always present. And we need it if we want a longer and better game.

Have fun!
  • FirebreathingmaniacFirebreathingmaniac Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184057Members
    edited March 2013
    The egg thing sounds pretty cool and it would be pretty cool if marines had the ability to hurt alien upgrades. Like say the structures for the upgrades spawn somewhere on the map closer to the aliens than the marines but the marines can go and kill these structures and the upgrades go up in cost or are less effective something of that nature to give marines an advantage but it has to be hard to. For instance they could be in a room sealed off with bone walls and whips. I think that would be pretty cool
    Is it working with the latest update? Would be awesome to have the mod working for the free weekend coming up.
    Updated :). Thank you.

I'm currently very very busy on an another project (completely different).
    This project is no more one of my priority (without player/server activity). However I will try to find times to work on it, and make blue eggs :).

If some people wants to help me to develop this mod, I'm open ;).
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    This is cool its like slenderman meets jurrassic park. U guys should get a realistic shotgun noise or just gun noises in general with echo to make it that much more intense when things happen
  • EiZONEiZON Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65687Members
    This sounds awesome. Does it still work/are there any servers?
    edited March 2013
    Yea it works still and there's usually one or two servers. Most of the time they're empty but you can join, and soon others will join. Within 30 mins I was playing with about 8 other guys. Just join and be patient :)

There are a few new bugs with infestation not appearing where it should, most whips are not rooted, so they don't attack, and the bone wall things don't appear.
    I may redevelop this mod into something new ... or better.

After a lot of playtesting and rounds on this mod, I noticed that the PvP part is not very good and it never will. The pleasure is for marines (atsmophere, equipments, teamplay, etc. ..) and the alien gameplay is monotonous. Very monotonous.

When I will have time for this mod, I will develop a new version of Forsaken. Totally new. Not a prototype or an another "alpha 1". I want to change things and to make a game more unique.

I'm thinking to make a co-op version of the mod Forsaken (for marines only).

What do you think ? What are your expectations ?
    Sounds great if you can get alien AI, then you could have more eventful and exciting rounds, and it would be easier to design tasks for marines to complete.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I may redevelop this mod into something new ... or better.

After a lot of playtesting and rounds on this mod, I noticed that the PvP part is not very good and it never will. The pleasure is for marines (atsmophere, equipments, teamplay, etc. ..) and the alien gameplay is monotonous. Very monotonous.

When I will have time for this mod, I will develop a new version of Forsaken. Totally new. Not a prototype or an another "alpha 1". I want to change things and to make a game more unique.

I'm thinking to make a co-op version of the mod Forsaken (for marines only).

What do you think ? What are your expectations ?

Sounds fantastic.
    The current AI's that some people ahve been messing around with are pretty dumb.
    But I'd love to see a ton of dumb AI aliens, just for testing and fooling around.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Tried setting up a server for this and got tons of lua spam in the server console:
    [Server] Script Error #1: lua/PlayingTeam.lua:215: None of the overloads for Shared.GetEntity match the supplied arguments:
      Shared.GetEntity(nil)
    Overloads:
      Shared.GetEntity(number id)

Call stack:
        #1: GetEntity [C]:-1
        #2: GetInitialTechPoint lua/PlayingTeam.lua:215
            self = MarineTeam { }
        #3: ChooseTechPoint lua/forsaken/NS2Gamerules.lua:86
            self = NS2Gamerules-3884 { }
            techPoints =  {1=TechPoint-1804 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=5, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 2=TechPoint-753 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=2, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 3=TechPoint-3698 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=3, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 4=TechPoint-752 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=10, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 } }
            teamNumber = 2
            validTechPoints =  { }
            chosenTechPoint = nil
        #4: originalFunction4 lua/NS2Gamerules.lua:469
            team1CommanderClientIndex = nil
            team2CommanderClientIndex = nil
            techPoints =  {1=TechPoint-1804 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=5, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 2=TechPoint-753 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=2, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 3=TechPoint-3698 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=3, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }, 4=TechPoint-752 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=10, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 } }
            resourcePoints = ClassEntityList { }
            team1TechPoint = TechPoint-258 {animationGraphIndex=2, attachedId=-1, collisionRep=0, extendAmount=0, gameEffectsFlags=0, locationId=4, modelIndex=5, occupiedTeam=0, physicsGroup=13, physicsGroupFilterMask=0, physicsType=4, showObjective=false, sighted=false, smashScouted=false, smashed=false, techId=42 }
            team2TechPoint = nil
        #5: ResetGame lua/forsaken/NS2Gamerules.lua:203
        #6: originalFunction lua/NS2Gamerules.lua:942
            timePassed = 0.034168381243944
        #7: lua/forsaken/NS2Gamerules.lua:23
            timePassed = 0.034168381243944

Small update to announce that I'm still alive :).
    But also to announce that the Forsaken project is a bit dead :/.

However, as I said in a previous post, I planned to make a coop version for the mod Forsaken.

And this is what is happening now.

For the moment, I'm making some prototypes and I'm doing some tests. I still need time. As soon as I finished making the first version, I'll create a new topic for this new mod.
    What I plan for the first version of this new mod:
    - Marines player vs Aliens AI
    - Forsaken atmosphere
    - Missions (Survive, kill aliens, build stuff, etc...)

As a precaution, I will not give dates (I don't want to release a broken mod).

If you have ideas for the new project, I'm all ears :).
    See you soon!
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    If you need special entities or ai units, feel free to use or copy things from my ExtraEntitiesMod.
    Your NPC system works well. I'll probably use it for the new mod :).
    The first version of this baby will come out in about two weeks.

This first version will contain:
    - Missions (Survive, build CC, destroy Hive...)
    - Bots (thanks to Jim West)
    - "Forsaken" atmosphere (the darkness, no HUD, motion tracker...)

And...
    - The armory with weapons and tools (Flare, mines...)
    - "Respawn system": A marine die => Colleagues must build a randomly spawned IP to save their friend.
    - Marines gain medpacks/ammopacks/weapons/tools by repairing a powernode.
    - And a balanced game.

And few ideas ;).
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Any updates on this ?