When attacking a Marine's base as an onos,..

ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Here is a situational question.

You are an onos and you are about to do a suprise attack on a Marine base with 1-2 marine(s) defending it. There is a observatory and a phase gate so the marines can beacon or phase through. The only other alien with you is a gorge with bile bomb. What should the onos do when attacking a base with only one gorge?

(A) Attack the power node with the gorge

(B) Protect the gorge as he is bile bombing the power by standing in front of him and tank most of the damage

(C) Distract the marines by attacking them while the gorge is defenseless but bile bombing the power node.

(D)...... You shouldnt be attacking with a single onos and one gorge anyway from the start...

(E) None of the above, too situational so it depends.

Please tell me your opinion on this matter. Thank you.

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Go for the Obs. If you fail at rushing the Power Node, marines won't have lost anything of value. The Obs at least costs them 15 res. It is also the weakest structure of all of them and thus easy to take out. Having all enemies suddenly teleport into the base is also far worse than having those that happen to be close to a PG come into the base through a clearly defined entrance. Plus it allows more reinforcements of your team to come in before the marines notice and also opens the way up for use of Camouflage if available.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Combo B/C first to clear the room. Then go for the obs like CrushaK said (unless the Obs has been pourly placed and you can destroy it before the two marines in the room are a problem. And continue to clear marines as they spawn. When no marines are present and there is not an Obs, Power Node.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Go for the Obs. If you fail at rushing the Power Node, marines won't have lost anything of value. The Obs at least costs them 15 res. It is also the weakest structure of all of them and thus easy to take out. Having all enemies suddenly teleport into the base is also far worse than having those that happen to be close to a PG come into the base through a clearly defined entrance. Plus it allows more reinforcements of your team to come in before the marines notice and also opens the way up for use of Camouflage if available.

So I should rush the obs with the gorge. Thanks for your advice, I will do that in future games.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say to try to take out the 2 marines while heading for the obs like CrushaK said. I'd say that the gorge should go for the power node and after the onos finishes the obs, it should hit the power node if there aren't any marines, cover the gorge if there are marines, or hit the PG if the marines are coming into the base via the PG.

And remember, if you're getting low, bail. Don't stick around and die for a building or two... ><
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Unless you are wanting to cause a beacon, which is a common tactic. If you want to cause a beacon, go for the power. Most coms will beacon to prevent losing power to a base, especially if there is an onos attacking. If they don't beacon, then they lose the base, unless all the marines happen to be next to a phase gate.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Yep crushak hit the nail on the head first try.

Obs first, then Onos goes after marines while gorge hits power.

UNLESS you deliberately need to cause a beacon, then hit something else.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    [F] Turn the PG into a meatgrinder to either force a beacon or thin out the marine ranks
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Last night the marines were turtles in terminal with 3 exos left over from when they had two bases. All our onos would get focused down if they went for the power or any structure. Instead we were using the onos to tanks for the gorges. We had 3 onos and 7 gorges. We had to take down the power a good dozen times even with a comm dropping onos eggs at the rate we lost onos. This is just an example of how situational it can be. The tips above are good.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Die on the powernode. #YOLO
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    james888 wrote: »
    Last night the marines were turtles in terminal with 3 exos left over from when they had two bases. All our onos would get focused down if they went for the power or any structure. Instead we were using the onos to tanks for the gorges. We had 3 onos and 7 gorges. We had to take down the power a good dozen times even with a comm dropping onos eggs at the rate we lost onos. This is just an example of how situational it can be. The tips above are good.

Ya, in that situation it was a mistake to go for the power node. In that kind of a scenario, you have to focus down the exo's one by one first. Since they are on 1 tech point they can't get anymore. Once they are down it is much easier to take out the base.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited March 2013
    E

The base with 2 marines isn't the important part. Its the other 6 or so marines that you need to think about.

Are they all just fart arsing around the map doing nothing in particular? Focus the observatory and protect the gorge.

Are they making a deadly push on your hive? Focus the power to either force a beacon or take down the base and upgrades.

Are they making a push with an assortment of lights and exos? Hit the power till beacon this instantly go to the exos.

Are they making a push with 100% exos? Focus the comm chair, you've got a race on your hands.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    2 marines hu ? If you dont get the obs down, it might be 6 in 5 seconds

Onos go for the marines, gorge bile obs, onos go for PG (if no beacon is engaged and gorge is close to finish the job), gorge join on PG, next job are the IPs.

Smart marines will attempt to evade the onos and kill the gorge, because smart marines know that onos kill marines but gorge kill bases.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I'd say it depends on what the marine team is doing, like somebody else has already stated. Though either way you should focus either the obs or the power node depending on that. Everything else is only of secondary importance.

For shits and giggles you could also try going for an arms lab during a marine push, I doubt many comms would beacon over it.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Alternative theory. Attack any phase or power good. If obs, do not kill.

Wait for the beacon.

Run.

Hopefully you have coordinated this attack with your team who can counter attack a now undefended location. Hopefully a 3rd hive location.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited March 2013
    F.) Bile+onos the observatory, retreat, heal, repeat on power.

Strofix has the situational answer above.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited March 2013
    Wake wrote: »
    2 marines hu ? If you dont get the obs down, it might be 6 in 5 seconds

Onos go for the marines, gorge bile obs, onos go for PG (if no beacon is engaged and gorge is close to finish the job), gorge join on PG, next job are the IPs.

Smart marines will attempt to evade the onos and kill the gorge, because smart marines know that onos kill marines but gorge kill bases.

But smart marines also know that a gorge is no loss at all but an onos will set the alien team back a long way. If you can chase a gorge out it's almost as good as killing it, the same can't be said for an onos and you need to focus to kill. On the other hand the amount of healing the gorge can do for the onos on the way out can make the damage lost on the onos from killing the gorge fairly moot.

Anyway I would go for power, either covering the gorge or attacking the node directly. One of three things will happen, all beneficial. Either the marines will beacon fast, which opens up windows on other fronts, the marines will beacon a little too late to save the power, which leaves them stranded in base while we go murder some other base, or they won't beacon at all and lose the base. I would always rather force a beacon then destroy simply destroy an obs and have to run.

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    It doesn't really matter what you hit while you are in marine base, the key is that you discuss with your gorge and your team what you are doing before you get to their base so the entire team can capitalize on the assault.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    1-2 marines is a big difference.

If it's 1 marine I would attack the power, ignoring the gorge. He can do what he likes. I could go for obs, but I like big risks and big rewards.

If it's 2 marines I tell the gorge to get the hell out of there because we won't get anything meaningful done, and once the beacon comes the poor fatty's gonna get overrun.

I guess the biggest thing to note here is that bilebomb is really bad right now. Gorge should rather keep onos topped instead of biling anything.

Whatever you do, don't die, and it's a win/win situation.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited March 2013
    request an enzyme from the khamm, and go to town on the power node/obs while gorge buddy is between you and the target. 2 marines take a while to chip at you, and enzyme is op.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members

(E) None of the above, too situational so it depends.

Please tell me your opinion on this matter. Thank you.

Depends, I'm first assuming you want to kill the base and not beacon primarily. If most of the Marines are attacking an area that is away from a phase gate, get the Ops first. PG doesn't matter if the bulk of marines can't get to it quickly. If most of the Marines are within phase gate range, then you're really not going to be able to take down the base if they're paying attention as you can't kill the PG or Obs faster than they can either beacon or phase though. So at best, you should just damage things and force a repair which reduces the total number of marines out actively fighting for tops 30 seconds. If you can take down a structure like the arms lab or prototype lab, that's better in some ways.

Then defend the hippo as the hippo takes down the power.

Good marines will ignore the Onos and kill the Gorge. So protecting your hippo friend is imperative.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    amoral wrote: »
    request an enzyme from the khamm, and go to town on the power node/obs while gorge buddy is between you and the target. 2 marines take a while to chip at you, and enzyme is op.

I really want to see this more. Once I was marine commin, and the aliens rushed base power with 2 onos 1 gorge and the khamm enzymed them. I could swear to god it went down in less than a beacon. Was brutal. Wanna see more of that.

Too bad drifters are so BLERGH to use.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    I really want to see this more. Once I was marine commin, and the aliens rushed base power with 2 onos 1 gorge and the khamm enzymed them. I could swear to god it went down in less than a beacon. Was brutal. Wanna see more of that.

Too bad drifters are so BLERGH to use.

Does enzyme stack?
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    As far as I know, it does from 2 (or more) drifters, but thats 6 (or more) res a pop? Plus the drifter cost and build time loss.

OP: Is there a marine spawning? coz then I would go hit that IP.
    No way? If it would stack that would be insanely OP. I'm pretty sure it doesn't stack lol.

Imagine binding 4 drifters into 1,2,3,4 and then just enzyming, turning 1 Onos into a machine gun :D:D yeaaah, I'd like that.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Use your Gorge on the Obs along with the Onos, but remember you only need to throw two or three Bile Bombs (thanks to their continuous damage dealing) whilst the Onos is attacking, then concentrate on the Power Node. Save yourself some energy - I see far too many Gorges biling a structure until it's destroyed, leaving them 1. low on energy and 2. with a load of bile on the floor doing damage to nothing.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    (E)

I'd wait, have the gorge wait. See if the 2 Marines use the Phase Gate. If they do and there are no recent Marine deaths, rush the Observatory, then the Powernode (for stopping the Armlab, Armory and IPs).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sherlock wrote: »
    Use your Gorge on the Obs along with the Onos, but remember you only need to throw two or three Bile Bombs (thanks to their continuous damage dealing) whilst the Onos is attacking, then concentrate on the Power Node. Save yourself some energy - I see far too many Gorges biling a structure until it's destroyed, leaving them 1. low on energy and 2. with a load of bile on the floor doing damage to nothing.
    Except that BB stacks?
    So continuously firing at it kills it faster than if you just walked away.
    Time is of the essence when killing an obs..

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    here's an idea, have the gorge run in alone and start biling the obs/everything, when the comma jumps out to shoot the gorge,get the onos to kill him. if he jumps back in the chair focus down the obs. take that stupid comm, think you can take Mr. gorge? well how about Mr. onos behind him?
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    wont the comm see an onos if he has an obs?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    All he'll see is a dot, unless he scans, no way to tell the difference between skulk/onos.