Rooms, Powernodes, and Gameplay

ImpatientJediImpatientJedi Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183870Members
edited April 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
When the power node is taken out the lights go out and then after awhile the E lights come on. What if the Emergency lights had to depend on other rooms to come on, an example to this is if we have rooms A, B, C in that order lined up in a row, if A's power gets knocked out it will go out but the E lights will only come on if B has a power node, if B does not then A's will stay pitch black till A or B gets its power node back on.
What this would be do for the Aliens is make the aliens want to take out the power more of a priority (it should be, phase gates behind alien lines is annoying) give alien vision more use, and give them more of a defined territory. For the marines it lets them utilize every room in the map (club on decent may look great but,) and it adds to the marines using their flashlight and having that creepy alien vibe.

In the end this change would make every room on a map important, even the ones that don't have a resource node. Making the marines work for the rooms as they advance from one room to another and not allowing them to roam the map with out needing a flashlight or giving them that sense of security.

*Note even if the power is out all around the alien territory the marines can restore the power far in alien territory, not having to add power into every room in a continues chain, it just means running through dangerous, dark rooms.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I do like this idea.

One thing I don't like in the current system is how some rooms other than the starting room have powernodes already installed.

My Alien tactic on Mineshaft is 1. check Repair, 2. if Marines started in Operations, kill the pre-built powernode to delay their expansion. 3. Repeat in Water Pumps if I have time.
  • ImpatientJediImpatientJedi Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183870Members
    Sherlock wrote: »
    One thing I don't like in the current system is how some rooms other than the starting room have powernodes already installed.

I think that's just a bug for mine shaft, but even then it helps the marines if the aliens ignore the power.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Would be funny to have this implemented, but with one or two random pre-built power nodes on any map.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As cool as the atmosphericness of it sounds, but would be too big of a marine nerf. I would play on a server with this kind of mod.
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    I'm not sure I follow completely, but the gist of it is that Power Nodes for rooms would act in a synonymous fashion with how cysts for the Alien team operate, in which there needs to be a chain of Marine Siphoned Powered Rooms to allow that Behind The Lines Ninja Phase Gate to work.

If this were to be implemented I'd expect that they'd have to make it so that Gorge Tunnels could only be placed on connected infestation then for balance issues.
  • ImpatientJediImpatientJedi Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183870Members
    Flash8798 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow completely, but the gist of it is that Power Nodes for rooms would act in a synonymous fashion with how cysts for the Alien team operate, in which there needs to be a chain of Marine Siphoned Powered Rooms to allow that Behind The Lines Ninja Phase Gate to work.

The lights would seem like a chain for whats on and whats off with the E lights and Bitch Darkness, but you could have a marine go into the farthest room and get the power back in that one room, The chain of light Idea would stem from the marines taking one room which would be unnecessary.