Today (5/4) LIVE - Interview w/ Brian Cronin - Lead Programmer *Video In Thread*

RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Heeeeeeeey all!

The interview with Brian Cronin is today (May 4th) @ 10am PDT / 7pm CEST on Twitch.tv/RedDogTV. If you're interested in programming Q&A, this would be for you. If not - then stay the hell away ;)

See you all there!

Comments

• tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    1000 PDT
    1900 CEST
    1700 UTC
    0300 AEST ... I can handle that!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Going live in 10 minutes! See you all there!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You guys rock. Thanks so much for the questions, the interview went really well and I want to thank Brian for taking the time out and being there.

Editing the two parts into one video since stream reset for that 10 or so seconds. Will post it on my YouTube soon.

Thanks again to EVERYONE who submitted questions. We couldn't ask them all, but I hope you were happy with the ones we chose!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Pretty bummed out to hear that they plan on relying on people using fraps/xsplit and twitch to capture video instead of implementing a real demo system. :/ (comes up between 20 and 25 minutes)
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    looking forward to the upload , couldn't make the live
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty bummed out to hear that they plan on relying on people using fraps/xsplit and twitch to capture video instead of implementing a real demo system. :/ (comes up between 20 and 25 minutes)

Yeah that's extremely disappointing. There is a massive difference between streaming and a demo system. He didn't rule it out completely though, so I hope they somehow get the manhours to work on that.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Do you think UWE needs programming help I know how to make an array in c++
    And here is the interview, Enjoy!!

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    He totally dodged the most important question of the interview at 57min
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Truly a letdown. Pretty sure that question was why all of us came to the video in the first place
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Shaker wrote: »

Yeah that's extremely disappointing. There is a massive difference between streaming and a demo system. He didn't rule it out completely though, so I hope they somehow get the manhours to work on that.
    Yeah. If you take a look at ENSL, 90 % of it's content is still from NS1 era.

I don't know if the time for frag movies and user made content is gone in 2013 anyway, but the lack of demo system practically kills the possibility for NS2. Right now vast majority of competitive games remain very distant for anyone not playing in the very game at that moment.

Usually good games have a way of making you want to play more whenever you watch someone good playing. NS2 has none of that right now. It doesn't have anything saying "This is how you get better" and "This is why it's worth getting better".
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bacillus wrote: »
    Shaker wrote: »

Yeah. If you take a look at ENSL, 90 % of it's content is still from NS1 era.

I don't know if the time for frag movies and user made content is gone in 2013 anyway, but the lack of demo system practically kills the possibility for NS2. Right now vast majority of competitive games remain very distant for anyone not playing in the very game at that moment.

Usually good games have a way of making you want to play more whenever you watch someone good playing. NS2 has none of that right now. It doesn't have anything saying "This is how you get better" and "This is why it's worth getting better".

There was supposed to be a frag movie contest for NS2, I think it just didn't ever happen because there isn't a reliable way to record the game. You'd have to be streaming constantly or recording everything with fraps.
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    You could just start a twitch account, grab obs, then stream your everyday gameplay. If you have a good match, use the highlight system in twitch and send it over to YouTube.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    You sacrifice too many frames that for most who are even remotely serious about playing ns2 won't even consider it.
    Even if you somehow afford the performance drop with twitch or such, it still seems like an awful way to start working on any even remotely serious project. I don't know what kind of magic you can pull off with encoded twitch footage these days, but even if you can break it down for proper editing somehow, it just doesn't cut it very far.

If you're actually going to spend more than an hour making the video, you want to replay the gameplay action using your custom moviemaking setup with high quality rendering, custom moviemaking game config, possibly custom models and most likely a custom HUD at the very least. That's minimum setup probably. The more edited movies also include game engine altering stuff like dramatic see-through-walls effects, free HLTV camera angles and that kind of stuff.

All that with the ol' GoldScr engine. I don't even know where the possibilities could go with modern engines and Lua.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Even if you somehow afford the performance drop with twitch or such, it still seems like an awful way to start working on any even remotely serious project. I don't know what kind of magic you can pull off with encoded twitch footage these days, but even if you can break it down for proper editing somehow, it just doesn't cut it very far.

If you're actually going to spend more than an hour making the video, you want to replay the gameplay action using your custom moviemaking setup with high quality rendering, custom moviemaking game config, possibly custom models and most likely a custom HUD at the very least. That's minimum setup probably. The more edited movies also include game engine altering stuff like dramatic see-through-walls effects, free HLTV camera angles and that kind of stuff.

All that with the ol' GoldScr engine. I don't even know where the possibilities could go with modern engines and Lua.

Imagine if the demos recorded in the Cinematic Editor format... endless possibilities!
    Mendasp wrote: »

Imagine if the demos recorded in the Cinematic Editor format... endless possibilities!
    Yeh, in general I feel that NS has very cinematic gameplay moments. There are extended clashes over locations, there are explosive skulk pack rushes, there are marines being surrounded by hostile territory and so on. It often has far more dramatic engagements than the gun vs gun peek-a-boo that most semi realistic shooters provide.

In NS1 I was toying around with the idea of some dramatic moving camerawork of sweet siege action. The extended moments of chaos and tension were asking for some well designed angles and slowly panning camera movement. Too bad the HLTV didn't have strafe keys and had very limited camera controls in general, so I ended up making some makeshift scripts that never really worked all the way.

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I was pretty irritated as hell whenever he said for us to use Fraps.  that answer can go to hell.  Yes, lets use fraps while in a match and have our FPS dip by 30.  YES THAT SOUNDS WONDERFUL.  Or to even use twitch, yes let me use my 2MBs up to do that, so that my game can be choppy the entire time i'm playing.  Get real.
    edited May 2013
    I guess this goes to bit of off topic already, but I really love what happens when people get creative with games.

Haha. Finally got it working. So you no longer need the bloody youtube tags at all.