Skulks Shenanigans - Allin vs Dn (previous title: lol)

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited May 2013
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So immersive.  It's as smooth as real life!
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    american skulks have nothing better to do...
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • digitaljuicedigitaljuice Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12420Members
    I took one look at this thread name and thought

quality in there
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Look everyone, this thread has been visited by the forum hipster!
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    so if you jump off a wall near the ceiling you could purposely make the view model rotate in a unexpected way. 
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Was just able to watch the video now, and all I have to say is: what's the problem?

Are you for some reason referring to the animation inconsistencies? If you are, then what is it exactly that you would expect the skulk model to do? Do you want it to snap instantaneously to any surface it comes into close proximity to? Because that would look stupid as hell.
    Would you rather it slowly adjust its rotation at a maximum rate, which would take some time to hit the correct rotation if the surface it was rotating to was changing rapidly? Well that's what you have. 

Those are the options.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    |strofix| said:
    Was just able to watch the video now, and all I have to say is: what's the problem?

Are you for some reason referring to the animation inconsistencies? If you are, then what is it exactly that you would expect the skulk model to do? Do you want it to snap instantaneously to any surface it comes into close proximity to? Because that would look stupid as hell.
    Would you rather it slowly adjust its rotation at a maximum rate, which would take some time to hit the correct rotation if the surface it was rotating to was changing rapidly? Well that's what you have. 

Those are the options.
    Nah, what people want are no animations. That way there wouldn't be anything to complain about... oh wait, maybe they really do like the animations then...
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    The only thing I noticed in the video was the model being upside down in mid air  when he jumped from wall to wall, presumably from being near the ceiling (or the slanted part just before the ceiling).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    I'm not laughing out loud, also skulk flipping is serious business! The thread lies, money back please!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    |strofix| said:

Those are the options.
    AFAIR AvP 2010 was handling transition animations just fine.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2013
    xen32 said:
    |strofix| said:

Those are the options.
    But was AvP done by a small Indie studio who had to write their very own engine because they could not use any other engine because... BECAUSE?

No? I did not think so.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    All-in Fails Compilation #1 (Out-takes scene #3) ?

Where is Godar at btw. I feel so immersed when I watch one of those fail compilations.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Little Known Fact: Skulks are actually made up of a series of tiny springs which allow them to jump off surfaces from any angle!
    xen32 said:
    Prove it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ScardyBob said:
    Little Known Fact: Skulks are actually made up of a series of tiny springs which allow them to jump off surfaces from any angle!
    Yo totally forgot to mention they're also equipped with tiny thrusters, making it possible for them change direction mid-leap and rotate in mid-air :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San said:
    ScardyBob said:
    Yo totally forgot to mention they're also equipped with tiny thrusters, making it possible for them change direction mid-leap and rotate in mid-air :P
    In fact, some people have speculated that the skulk isn't a lifeform, but a ship crewed with miniature people. 
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited May 2013
    ScardyBob said:
    Kouji_San said:
    ScardyBob said:
    In fact, some people have speculated that the skulk isn't a lifeform, but a ship crewed with miniature people. 
    better known as a Shulk, to the mini people vertically challenged.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Hey look, the second animation smoothing thread this week  :-h

Only solution, and one that NS2 would benefit hugely from but requires waayyy too much time and effort:  Procedural walking animations

edited May 2013
    I don't want to be a buzz kill IronHorse, but I think your idea of "fun" may differ from mine :*P   It was however interesting : * )
    I don't want to be a buzz kill IronHorse, but I think your idea of "fun" may differ from mine :*P   It was however interesting : * )
    Stop being a buzz kill :P
    edited May 2013

Kouji_San said:
    Stop being a buzz kill :P

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Your thread title was bad and you should feel bad.
    I edited it.