I tried going back with the 249 mod

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I saw the 249 mod and joined for giggles. I felt kinda guilty joining it actually. The match just did not feel right, and did not sit right with me. The build 249 server felt inferior to build 250. Then I got a fade and forgot about all that. It felt like stepping into the soothing warmth of a hot shower on a foggy cold winter morning. I miss the old fade.

Match turned into a marine turtle ending with 5 onos rushing power. Was a real balanced game I swear...

Comments

• MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I'm like polar opposite on the fade lol. I was always miserable on any iteration of the old fades prior to this build. Now, with the new movement I'm actually doing pretty good with them. I still miss alot of swipes because I'm just an average player. But I sure don't feel like I'm wasting res when I decide I want to fade now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    I play it as more of a way to get unfrustrated after playing 250. Sometimes it can be petty frustrating to me. I'm glad you enjoyed (part) of it. I really don't have a huge problem with 250 like others do, just sometimes skulk movement frustrates me, like when I like climb on top of a marine during combat. Or the exo trains of like 4 exo because they are cheaper now. Sometimes the new fade movement can be pretty frustrating as a marine too.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    @SamusDroid, I love b250 skulk. I just feel sad about fade. I am just grieving publicly cause something I loved is gone and will not be coming back.
    dePARA wrote: »
    249 = shadowstep fade = balanced?
    Thats your formular?

It took me around and half day to learn all 250 game and movement mechanics.

And i love the new fade. It so much more fun to play skulk and fade now.
    Much more agility,speed and movement control.

Also, I never said anything related to shadow step being balanced or not. I do not have a formular.

I am not some super gamer. It takes me a lot longer to learn how to play well. It took me 300 hours of play before I feel I was any bit good at ns2, and I never super good. I may not like having to learn a new trick as I already learned the old one I loved, but I accept that I need to.

I do like the new skulk. It is fantastic.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    The only reason I am enjoying the new skulk is because adrenaline was buffed back up. It let's me bounce around the marine while they burn through their ammo, then I go in for the kill while they reload. I'm back up to 6-7 kills per death with the skulk. I hate the fact that I have to hold the a/d keys to keep speed up with the skulk, being my only problem with them now.

Fade I feel like is the bastard child of the pre250 fade. I miss my double jump and shadow step rotations. I felt deadlier then. Now without double jump and shadow step giving movement boosts, I feel like a big sack of bricks when I strafe and evade around a marine. I can give two shits about blink pseudo bunny hop out of combat for speed. If this was to nerf combat for fades, then mission accomplished, cause skulk are now deadlier than fades.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    MisterNubs wrote: »
    I hate the fact that I have to hold the a/d keys to keep speed up with the skulk, being my only problem with them now.
    Just fyi
    You really don't have to hold the a/d keys (Strafe) to keep speed up for traditional traveling..
    It does however assist in making tighter turns, slightly.
    I suggest you try it out and compare yourself, too.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have more control over the new fade than I did over the old one. I've been playing it for maybe 2-3 weeks now and it feels more natural to me than the old one did.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New fade is so much better. I can't go back now. Much better control, and thanks to the new melee cone without glancing hits is easier to count them. It's either 3 or 4 hits depending on armor upgrades. Gone are the days where you hit a marine 6 times and wondered how he was still alive.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the old fade. I managed to learn it and one month after it's gone *sadface*
    Trying the new one and will be just as challenging for me to learn as I am a slow learner.
    I seem to have trouble with the blink jump part, sometimes it works beautifully but other times I fail miserably :(
    And it feels like shadow step upgrades later on so I haven't actually gotten the opportunity to try it out that much (I either die to quickly or the game is over). As for me, I don't know what to use shadow step for anymore :o
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Shadow step + double jump was a game design atrocity. I am glad it is gone.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    I quite miss the old fade and glancing blows, it was so much fun to get quick small hits on a lone rine to toy with them and give them death by 1000 cuts kinda idea ;)

as for movement, the new fade feels kinda clunky compared to B249 at least for me. those shadow-step jumps saved my ass in a graceful way like shadow-step jump backwards and round a corner as if to wave them good bye when you go around a corner to see 3-4 W3 shottys up close. If I could have my double jump and shadow-step momentum back I would be happy to still get them unlocked in the order we do in B250. I have tried to play with the new fade but it just doesn't feel right (and yes I know of the new movement techniques) so I have now been playing lerk instead.

I like the new lerk although it does seem to have too little air friction making it harder to hover and maneuver subtly as I did before. Love getting umbra first though, so much more useful.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I hate the fact that I have to hold the a/d keys to keep speed up with the skulk, being my only problem with them now.
    Just fyi
    You really don't have to hold the a/d keys (Strafe) to keep speed up for traditional traveling..
    It does however assist in making tighter turns, slightly.
    I suggest you try it out and compare yourself, too.

But if you want to retain your speed better, then you do. I felt I kept better speed strafe jumping between wall hop than I did without.

But okay.
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Shadow step + double jump was a game design atrocity. I am glad it is gone.

It was more interesting and fun to play with than the shadow step bricks we have now.

Fades are a joke to fight against now.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mavick wrote: »
    I'm like polar opposite on the fade lol. I was always miserable on any iteration of the old fades prior to this build. Now, with the new movement I'm actually doing pretty good with them. I still miss alot of swipes because I'm just an average player. But I sure don't feel like I'm wasting res when I decide I want to fade now.

Same here. I'm noticeably better with the new fade. I'm not quite sure how to explain it but It seems as though i can adapt my lerk play into the new fade more. The idea of using map geometry for cover and going in for a hit and leaving again...the whole hit and run thing..
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have more control over the new fade than I did over the old one. I've been playing it for maybe 2-3 weeks now and it feels more natural to me than the old one did.
    This.

Now that I've gotten a decent amount of time with the new fade movement, its easy to see how its an improvement over the shadowstep+jump one. Most of the time what kills your speed as a fade is running into things (walls, props, the ceiling, other players, etc). Blink+hop is a much better method than shadowstep+jump for avoiding obstacles and recovering when you do run into things.

• MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    The new Fade feels like a wheezing and coughing alien with black lung. Whenever I entered combat with the new Fade I was down to at least 50% energy, if not lower.

The funny thing is that I was pretty good at conserving energy with the old Fade, even without Adrenaline. If I didn't have Adrenaline I only used Blink for emergencies. All other times I used Shadowstep.

Since this new Fade requires you to Blink until Shadowstep gets researched I'm constantly low on energy. It's either that or spend 30 seconds to get to your destination by walking, an eternity in NS2 time.

Then there are other problems like the new Skulk having a very floaty, dulled down feel to it.

That said most of the time I spend in NS2 is Fade time. That class pushes all of the right buttons for me. Naturally, if pre-BT dies off I will leave. I'd rather play on a UK pre-BT server where I get 200 ping than play BT. That's how frustrating BT is to me. If pre-BT dies off I'll just move on to another game, just like how many others will.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Minimum wrote: »
    The new Fade feels like a wheezing and coughing alien with black lung. Whenever I entered combat with the new Fade I was down to at least 50% energy, if not lower.

The funny thing is that I was pretty good at conserving energy with the old Fade, even without Adrenaline. If I didn't have Adrenaline I only used Blink for emergencies. All other times I used Shadowstep.

Since this new Fade requires you to Blink until Shadowstep gets researched I'm constantly low on energy. It's either that or spend 30 seconds to get to your destination by walking, an eternity in NS2 time.

Not sure why its giving you trouble, its far improved from the pre-250 movement. Blink first is FAR superior to the old shadowstep first movement of previous builds. You should start a local server on veil and practice the (forward + a/d) movement as fade for a bit. Once you get that down you'll be flying around the map quickly and with ease only having to blink occasionally to boost your speed again.

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013

Yep sure does use a lot of energy moving around

http://www.twitch.tv/industrylol/c/2507538

edit: whoops had my fan on while recording that. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    Bunnyhopping is a far more difficult process than just pressing shift + spacebar (shadowstep jump.) It's a very unnecessarily complex form of movement. That's why I never bothered to learn bunnyhopping in my 18 years of FPS play to begin with. I'm not going to start learning an exploit now just to be able to play a game.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Bunnyhopping is a far more difficult process than just pressing shift + spacebar (shadowstep jump.) It's a very unnecessarily complex form of movement. That's why I never bothered to learn bunnyhopping in my 18 years of FPS play to begin with. I'm not going to start learning an exploit now just to be able to play a game.

Just for you: http://www.twitch.tv/industrylol/c/2507536

Now with 100% less A/D Strafing and only using the mouse to completely control where I look and travel. It is ever so slightly slower but still ridiculously viable.

I can even set up a webcam to watch my keyboard if you like.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Industry is correct..no a/d needed. If you enter combat at 50% energy or lower constantly I suggest you try to get the travel part of the fade down first before you try to fight people. Its really simple even. Just blink and when you hit the ground jump! Then when you start to slow down after a few jumps tap blink again while in the air.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The other best part about the new Fade is: no more collisions with everything while travelling (once you learn how to travel properly). Thanks to the improved air control, you can make turns a lot easier than with shadowstep+jump. Made a mistake? Blink again to fix it. Need to run away? Shadowstep is your life saver.
    Industry wrote: »

Now with 100% less A/D Strafing and only using the mouse to completely control where I look and travel. It is ever so slightly slower but still ridiculously viable.

Now lets see some combat.

This is where I feel the pre 250 surpasses the 250 fade.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Like currently and industry said, it's all about mastering the movement prior to entering combat. There's really no need to hold down the blink button for more then a second. And the pseudo bhop is as easy as using the blink to start and just jumping after that. Once you get comfortable with that you can work the A/D into it to preserve more movement but it's totally not necessary to be effective.

I garauntee if you if I can become effective with this fade almost anyone can. I'm certainly nothing special. However, I will admit I've had past experience with advanced movement systems like bhop, but that really isn't the same thing as what 250 based movement is. The one big similarity between skulk and fade movement is the timing of your jumps to keep going and avoiding what might slow you down (inclines, objects, etc). And even bringing up the word "exploit" is really silly since this was intentionally designed into the game, just as the old bhop was left in NS1 intentionally.

It might seem silly or unnatural to you at first, but I can promise you if you get the hang of it your enjoyment of this build is going to go up astronomically.
    edited July 2013
    Industry wrote: »

Now lets see some combat.

This is where I feel the pre 250 surpasses the 250 fade.

Sure. I'm not the best, a comp player's pov would probably show the capability better than me. The marine team in this was not stellar by any means as it was a pub game. I also miss a lot of easy swipes and got frazzled a few times into swipe spam buuuuuuuut here you go:

http://www.twitch.tv/industrylol/c/2507690

The parts where I am fading correctly are the fly by swipes. Also even after turning off my fan I'm still getting some background noise. Time to adjust the microphone boost.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me it kinda comes down to that I never liked the blink mechanic much, and loved the shadowstep one. I rarely ever used blink unless I needed to up high.

• FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    edited July 2013
    *snip* Don't care if you're frustrated - be nice to others or do not post at all. -Ironhorse
    edited July 2013
    stuff

I was doing that even before all the newbies until they tanked adrenaline.

Sounds like to me the problem isn't the fades. Who was actually killing you while the fade was uselessly blinking back and forth? Did not one of you carry a welder? Easily the best item that counter hit and run fades since their sustained damage is utter crap. Where you shooting at him while he was blinking all over the place, or save your bullets until he was blinking towards you? Stop standing in one place and letting fades get easy hits off on you. Keep moving and they have a harder time landing hits since they're pressed to keep moving.

A dead marine is the best kind of marine. That means he isn't alive to drop an rt or phase gate. Yes, I could consider myself one of those selfish pricks because letting another player mindlessly sacrifice himself because he doesn't know any better lets me know how many marines are there (by the number of guns) and lets me easily sneak up on them when they think it's safe. Guess what? Now they're dead and I'm still alive to take out the rts or what not.

Play smarter, not harder. If you're dead, you're not doing anything.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This Minimum guy is good entertainment. I wonder what he's going to come up with after Industry's videos. That he doesn't like pressing buttons while using the mouse? 18 years claimed experience of FPS shooters and the least, tiniest, most minuscule amount of practice needed and he's too afraid to even try.