Echo gorge kham

sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
Wondering if anyone else uses this or what you all think of the strat.

Basically using echo harvesters and gorging them up in main myself as kham. I also gorge my own upgrade structures whenever time permits (and then echo them to safer locations) and might even drop a tunnel and gorge a second hive if I think I can spare the time and there isn't anyone else doing it.

Build order is shift hive>Cysts>1drifter>shift by harverster>evolve gorge, then I start echoing out harvesters one at a time as the cysts build and healing the new one in main. When res permits I grab spurs or bile or second hive. I typically also rush gorge tunnels with this build as soon as the shift is built

Echoing harvesters has been a neat trick since 250, but I haven't seen anyone else take it a step further and gorge those harvesters themselves in main.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Yup, being a gorge comm and rapid building them in base is the largest reason to do this.

Echo literally costs 1 tres and the shift is required for tunnels and leap anyway, there's no reason not to do this if you're going shift first.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The only downside to this is that you're stuck without carapace for your skulks until second hive comes online -- and you'll have fades then.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2013
    GORGEous wrote: »
    The only downside to this is that you're stuck without carapace for your skulks until second hive comes online -- and you'll have fades then.

Yeah but you have celerity for the skulks, which means they should be taking MUCH fewer hits. Higher speed = harder to hit, plus they close distance faster so the marines have less time to react. Early game is won by gorges holding territory though, and they love you for adren.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Lol carapace
    Don't even need it these days, It doesn't give you much survivability anyways.
    i mean, it's what.. 20 armor for fades? Aura saves much more lives than carapace does. Kthx. knowledge is everything.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Carapace is still 43% ehp for skulks. We're not talking about fades, we're talking about the first 7-10 minutes when skulks are your primary lifeform. 43% more health on skulks is a lot better than 25% faster skulks.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Well, I usually go crag last anyway, as it's pretty useless these times. So... no, not a problem for me :)

Well, I usually go crag last anyway, as it's pretty useless these times. So... no, not a problem for me :)

I get crag second because otherwise people in pubs tend to bitch about it, even though shift shade would probably be better.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    sotanaht wrote: »

Yeah but you have celerity for the skulks, which means they should be taking MUCH fewer hits. Higher speed = harder to hit, plus they close distance faster so the marines have less time to react. Early game is won by gorges holding territory though, and they love you for adren.

I thought Cele was something like from 10 to 12...?

Regen keeps Fades and Lerks in business for much longer.

Like like OP's strat and will probably try it, but scoffing at crag is like this ancient thing that always happens, no matter how good crag is at any point. It has the smell of "if you're leet enough you don't need hp".
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013

Like like OP's strat and will probably try it, but scoffing at crag is like this ancient thing that always happens, no matter how good crag is at any point. It has the smell of "if you're leet enough you don't need hp".

Edit: I'd imagine you would NOT want to have gorges at all if you echoed harvesters. Makes the gorges just sit around and twiddle their thumbs.

Edit2: HOW THE HELL DID I MAKE A NEW POST? Oh God, don't post right after you wake up...
    edited August 2013

Edit: I'd imagine you would NOT want to have gorges at all if you echoed harvesters. Makes the gorges just sit around and twiddle their thumbs.

Edit2: HOW THE HELL DID I MAKE A NEW POST? Oh God, don't post right after you wake up...

Gorge job is area denial. Rather than building my harvesters I want gorges building hydras and clog walls and tunnels to secure 3 base locations before I start dropping hives. It also doesn't hurt not to echo EVERY harvester;

Regen doesn't really help fades and lerks all that much. It ticks really slowly, something like 2 minutes to heal to full, so if they take anything more than a couple scratches they are going to head for a hive anyway. The number 2 cause of fade death is running out of energy, which adrenaline makes almost a non issue and is therefor a MUCH better survival tool. Aura as well since the number one cause is running into too many marines, although it does nothing to stop idiots from doing that anyway.
    Running out of energy as a fade is a non-issue already with bunnyhopping. One blink is max speed.

I can't remember how often regen tics, but spending your time munching a power somewhere to get full hp is bloody awesome.

You gotta remember regen isn't about getting full HP from zero, it's about all those scratches you take from every stray hit, it just keeps ticking all the time. That amounts to a lot of hp.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you're against *very* good marines, I'd argue that cara is still worth it over regen for the fade. Any time you see your health lower than 40 (not quite true, depends on the guns shooting you...) you probably would have lost that fade without cara. Of course, you can start off regen while marine upgrades are lower and spend 5 res later to switch to cara when w2/shotguns are all over the place. That's when you really need any extra health on offer. Obviously you don't want to be getting that low, but good marines will trap/ambush and aim very well, and it can be nigh on impossible to escape without getting at least 1 full shotgun blast to the face. Not talking about your average pub here, mind, you're pretty much always better off with regen there ;)

Shift first is definitely good for the khamm, and echo is now a very useful feature, but you really want crag upgrades when your fades hit if you're playing marines who can aim very well.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Crag first is still generally the best option. Like gorgeous said, the extra 40ish percent hp gain helps a lot early game. This becomes more evident the better the marines can track.

Referring to the regen argument, it doesn't really do much for pub games. Regen, however, does help a lot at the comp level since marines may often pinch your life form in their own territory. Even if you can stall for a few seconds before trying to escape, you already have regen'd the 40hp the cara would have given you. The same applies for the lerk.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    The other BIG benefit to this strat is that harvesters outside of base start at full hp... So it will be much easier to save when it starts getting axed... And you only need 1-2 drifters that stay safe in your base...

I also build all structures in base... I don't need a front line gorge multitasking trying to build heal and shoot...
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Running out of energy as a fade is a non-issue already with bunnyhopping. One blink is max speed.

I can't remember how often regen tics, but spending your time munching a power somewhere to get full hp is bloody awesome.

You gotta remember regen isn't about getting full HP from zero, it's about all those scratches you take from every stray hit, it just keeps ticking all the time. That amounts to a lot of hp.

One blink max speed? That's not right at all, specially since b251.

You can still run out of energy as fade. For me, regen + adre is the best option as fade.

As 1st upgrade for skulks, I usually go for cele but I'd like to try cara more often.

Might think about shade as 1st upgrade on certain maps (veil?) but I'd rather go for one of the others.

P.S: talking about competitive.

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's really no reason not to go gorge as khamm and build upgrade structures in base. And if you go shift hive there isn't much reason not to use echo, it's a great strat.

The only problem is on public servers you run the risk of someone freaking out at the "commander needed" message, jumping into the hive themselves, and doing something stupid like dropping a second hive in a room your team doesn't even control. I can't count how many times this has happened to me, even when I've communicated to the team that I will be periodically leaving the hive to build things.
    edited August 2013
    MalGanis2 wrote: »

One blink max speed? That's not right at all, specially since b251.

Do I have to hang on your jaw to get the rest?
    MalGanis2 wrote: »
    P.S: talking about competitive.

Has "comp always go crag first" changed recently?

Anyhow, I would never take Adre over Aura.
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Do I have to hang on your jaw to get the rest?
    ???

Has "comp always go crag first" changed recently?
    Perhaps. Don't know about other teams, but I guess people have been at least trying something different since b250.

On duplex we don't usually go crag first.

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I made a video around this for those that have no idea what is happening.

• hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited August 2013
    1. Not that it's wrong or bad, but somehow it's pretentious to me :P
    2. You'd have to check if you can build harvesters faster this way. Usually, at the start of the game, I have 3 harvesters building with drifters (and possibly a passing gorge) at the same time, while the shift thing only allows one at a time (but faster with gorge).
    3. I just HATE when a Comm leaves the chair, generally. Tell me where the enemy is, use drifters, give commands, plan strategy, whatever, but stay in the fucking chair! It's your job! This is NS2, not NS1.
    4. full HP harvesters vs. teleporting them into locations where Marines might already be, but you don't see them. Not sure what is better.
    5. forces you to go shift hive, and the shift you need to build delays quick evolution structure placement.
    6. won't anybody think of the drifters? they're so cute, and useful, but now you keep them in base instead of closer to your team
    7. teleporting gorge tunnel ends is majorly cool though.

8. why do comp players not do this? they go crag first?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @hozz You should play with maxamus some time, it might change your opinion on some of those points ;)
    edited August 2013

Traveling is a non-issue. Running out of energy during a fight and then not having enough to escape is a major issue. You need to pay very close attention to it and even then you are left disengaging before you get the kills.

Regen ticks 5% every 5seconds, or something close to that. A skulk benefits while munching, but a higher lifeform probably shouldn't BE muching.
    hozz wrote: »
    1. Not that it's wrong or bad, but somehow it's pretentious to me :P
    2. You'd have to check if you can build harvesters faster this way. Usually, at the start of the game, I have 3 harvesters building with drifters (and possibly a passing gorge) at the same time, while the shift thing only allows one at a time (but faster with gorge).
    3. I just HATE when a Comm leaves the chair, generally. Tell me where the enemy is, use drifters, give commands, plan strategy, whatever, but stay in the fucking chair! It's your job! This is NS2, not NS1.
    4. full HP harvesters vs. teleporting them into locations where Marines might already be, but you don't see them. Not sure what is better.
    5. forces you to go shift hive, and the shift you need to build delays quick evolution structure placement.
    6. won't anybody think of the drifters? they're so cute, and useful, but now you keep them in base instead of closer to your team
    7. teleporting gorge tunnel ends is majorly cool though.

You don't have to build EVERY harvester in base. If you have 2 points cysted at once you could send a drifter to build one while you echo the second, or ideally have a gorge out on the field handling it. Your goal is to get harvesters up as fast and safe as possible, so if you have an opportunity that is faster than echo, USE IT.

There's not a lot a kham can do early in the game to help his team that doesn't revolve around getting shit built as fast as possible. You can't afford drifter micro that early, and you can spot just as well on the ground as in the hive. Getting out and gorging a hive or building a tunnel might be a little risky though, since you are too far from your hive to recyst if nothing else.

Better to teleport a full hp harvester next to a marine than to build a fresh one he can kill in 5 seconds. If it turns out to be a bad spot you have PLENTY of time for a skulk to rescue it, and it at least gives you back a little more res. I generally find that I'm fairly well aware of marine positioning in the first few minutes and it rarely happens that I echo right next to a marine anyway.

Shift Hive is great anyway, faster harvesters get the upgrades up fast enough. Rushing a single veil or shell is about the dumbest thing you can do, level one upgrades often aren't even worth the five seconds it takes a skulk to evolve them and you are just crippling your early economy which is where the snowball begins.

You can put drifters wherever you want to. Like I said not EVERY harvester needs to be built in base and you will want a drifter for the second hive anyway.

You can't teleport tunnels unfortunately. Considering you don't have a lot of control or feedback about WHICH tunnel you would be teleporting if it were an option it's probably for the best. I also don't want nooby khams moving the tunnel entrance I put in that base for a particular reason.

From what I've heard, kham gorges, whether they go shift first or not, are the standard meta in comp.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    hozz wrote: »

3. Your credibility just went down.
    8. Because comp players can track celerity skulks. The extra ehp is worth it.

._.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Lol at needing the com to tell you where the enemy is... The comm has a blown up mini-map (so do you). The only additional info you can get is from players who are listening (1 rine running sounds very different then 5 rines running). So get a pair of headphones keep your ears open and team informed..
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I been doing this a lot recently. let drop a harvester near another gorgie if they want to heal one up, but definitely superior to drifter building... I think.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I tried it and found it very effective. I can build a lot of harvesters in a very short time, plus if there's another gorge than we double our production of harvesters. We turn into a little alien factory ^^ And also I feel like part of the team and not just an alien in the big Round Fish Eye Thingy (tm). By using the map I can coordinate the skulks very well, so it's not a con that I can't see the battle from a bird-eye view. I'm not a MCom, who has to give meds and put blueprints on the map.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    The risky part is that pro-noob that want to be backseat commander and if he doesnt agree with your strat he IS gonna take the comm seat from you.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I do this strategy a lot as alien comm, its a lot of fun.
    I also like to set up tunnel between main and second hive too. to gorge it up, and stillwater access to the chair, then between second and third hive. echoing the shift to the extractor I am closest to.
    also, someone said something about leaving one res open to save harvesters, and it not being as nonoptimal as one might think, any merit to that? I go shift first usually now,echo just has so much utility, and adren helps fades so much, and gorges, skulks and lrks all benefit from celerity.