surround sound broken

jolonne5jolonne5 Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187103Members
The game keeps auto detecting 5.1 but im not running a 5.1 setup im running a 4.1. Is there anyway to manually change this because the sound is completely broken. So broken that I turned down the sound all the way ingame just so I don't have to hear it. This lead me to finding another bug... Even if you ingame volume is turned all the way down you can still hear stuff in the game. Like marines pullin a grenade out and aliens making weird sounds. Its really annoying and it is actually keeping me from playing the game. Please fix this or add in a way to chance the sound setup in the menu.

Comments

• ARMYguyARMYguy Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187280Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    5.1 sound also has never worked since they re did the sound engine. If I look down the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers. If I look up the sound only comes from the back 2 speakers. I always hoped this would be fixed because its really annoying and bad. But I doubt sound is high on their list.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ARMYguy wrote: »
    5.1 sound also has never worked since they re did the sound engine. If I look down the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers. If I look up the sound only comes from the back 2 speakers. I always hoped this would be fixed because its really annoying and bad. But I doubt sound is high on their list.

Absolutely agree. I have the same problem since ages. It is really time to fix it.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @jolonne5, I can reproduce your issue. At least, I think I can because you didn't really describe the problem other than saying that it was "broken".

I use headphones and I don't have a surround sound speaker system. However, I do have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, which allows me to set whatever speaker setup I please and then have the audio down-mixed to stereo with HRTFs applied by Dolby Headphone. This allows me to hear sounds in my headphones as if they were coming from speakers all around me.

In quadrophonic mode, certain sounds simply won't come out of the back speakers. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a pattern to predict which sounds would suffer from this issue.

Example: In Turbine on Refinery, the sound of the broken water pipe won't come out of the back speakers. Much more crucially, though, the sound of aliens biting a power node also won't come out of the back speakers.

When you say that "the game keeps auto detecting 5.1", how do you know that? Did you look in the console right after launching the game and see your sound device listed with "5.1" at the end? It's the forth line in the console after starting NS2. For me, these are the four possible things I can see depending on the speaker setup that I selected in Windows:

console-audio_zps0fb3b37b.png~original

The can only reproduce the sound problems when it's in quadrophonic mode.

@ARMYguy - When you say "the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers", do you mean that every sound that is currently audible is coming out of the front speakers (ie: the back speakers are totally silent) or do you mean that the sound that you're currently concentrating your attention on is coming only from the front speakers?
  • jolonne5jolonne5 Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187103Members
    No I don't use headphones. Yes the console list my sound device as 5.1 even tho in my drivers its set to 4.1 and the sound cuts in and out like crazy and its annoying and makes me want to cry.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In that case, perhaps you've got a slightly different issue to the one that I discovered earlier with quadrophonic mode.

I suspect that you're missing out on sounds that come from a certain direction (probably straight in front of you because you don't have the front-center speaker that a 5.1 system has).
  • jolonne5jolonne5 Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187103Members
    Actually its my back two speakers that are the ones cutting out all the time.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    check your BIOS, for any built-in audio device on your mobo, and disable it.
    Save & exit, reboot.

Might solve a conflict you're having, if you use a 3rd party soundcard/device.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Same; surround broken for me for ages now. There is no evidence that the devs are even looking into it anymore.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited September 2013
    Past comments indicate spark uses fmod as its sound engine...which I believe does support surround sound. However, Simon is UW's sound person, but doesn't appear to be a full time employee, and hasn't made any comments since July 2012. I'm not certain if he does stuff via contract work or what. I suspect UW has nobody free to work on it.

There is even a post from him in 2012 talking about fmod:
    ...supports 5.1 and im pretty sure 7.1 too, which we will have in the audio options in NS2 soon
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awww... That is sad to read. :(
    jolonne5 wrote: »
    Actually its my back two speakers that are the ones cutting out all the time.
    Well, that sounds a lot like the problem I observed and described in my earlier post (although I was only able to reproduce it in quadrophonic mode).

bp2008 wrote: »
    Same; surround broken for me for ages now. There is no evidence that the devs are even looking into it anymore.
    Can you elaborate on "broken"? What are the symptoms of the problem?