make the game free to play

124»

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited September 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Okxyd wrote: »
    just pay for the game you freeloading cheap skates.

That's not the issue here. Probably everyone in this thread has already paid for the game, many of us have bought copies for our friends as well and some have even donated to the reinforcement or constellation program.

The problem is that the game is slowly dying. UWE has been doing nearly everything they can to delay that with sales and free weekends, but in the end it's only a matter of time until it's gone. F2P is the final solution.

Why the fuck do you always say "NS2 is dying" ? It's complete bullshit ! 99% of the multiplayer games lose people over time, it´s simply the way it works and plenty of them don't die and are still here many years after. NS2 will always keep a sufficient core playerbase like it was for NS1, it´s a good thing in fact because the people who stay are the people who enjoy the game, who know it and the guys with you make the funniest and most interesting matches. Less people there are, happier I am because it means I can play without autistic guys or complète noobs, two types of players which are in constant flow in a F2P game.

99% of multiplayer games DO die eventually. If you can't find a public game to play on it's dead, definition of. NS2 barely had enough players just last week for me to find a game to play on with non-red (unplayable) ping at peak fucking hours. If reinforced and the free weekend hadn't happened then as far as it matters for me the game simply wouldn't be there for me anymore, and not for lack of wanting to play it. NS2 is on life support. Maybe people will still be there for your elitist gathers but the rest of us? It'll be nothing but a memory.

So it's not a question of having a quality NS2 community, and therefore quality games. You just want to have some greens you can rookie-farm, I see. I'm no pro, but I can't stand free weekends or sales because they just attract the wrong crowd, period.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    Well then... by that logic seeing the amount of servers on Battlefield 3 and just a few top 20 being populated, it's dead too. NS2 is awesome, but this is clearly not a game aimed at the casual gamer. It requires teamwork and leadership, and the casuals -insist- on having a game that is just straight up, mindless, aimless shooting, this is why CoD is so popular, and inherently why a lot less people actively play NS2. I only play on my forum's server and since it's 34-player it's pretty awesome, hectic games.

and dudes, think about it, no sane man will pay 75 dollars for an ingame skin, they're just supporting UWE's hard work.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Natural Selection 2 and F2P? Please...no...just...no.

The F2P model ruined a lot of games for me, at least. Mostly MMOs. Those games are flooded by childish people and kids by now and also have seen a great influx of spammers, botters, cheaters etc, who just create a new account after being banned.

Example: I loved to play Star Wars: The Old Republic, also payed for the monthly subscription. Then EA and Bioware introduced the F2P model next to the Subscription Model and now SWTOR is filled with "China Farmers" (no offense), Bots, Exploiters and annoying Kids, who totally shouldn't play the game. (Don't get me started on Character names...) Ruined the immersion and gameplay for me. Stopped playing SWTOR. Kind of regret it, that I purchased the Collector's Edition.

I don't want to know, how NS2 would look like, if it would go F2P and would have something like an Ingame Store or external one, which is located on their website.

I then would fear features like:

*Comm tries to build 2nd CC*
    Game: You need to buy a 30 day Ticket to be able to buy more than one Command Center. Please purchase it for 1,99€

Therefor, this sums up my opinion on NS2 + F2P:

Greetings,

Maxunit
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited September 2013

That's not the issue here. Probably everyone in this thread has already paid for the game, many of us have bought copies for our friends as well and some have even donated to the reinforcement or constellation program.

The problem is that the game is slowly dying. UWE has been doing nearly everything they can to delay that with sales and free weekends, but in the end it's only a matter of time until it's gone. F2P is the final solution.

Why the fuck do you always say "NS2 is dying" ? It's complete bullshit ! 99% of the multiplayer games lose people over time, it´s simply the way it works and plenty of them don't die and are still here many years after. NS2 will always keep a sufficient core playerbase like it was for NS1, it´s a good thing in fact because the people who stay are the people who enjoy the game, who know it and the guys with you make the funniest and most interesting matches. Less people there are, happier I am because it means I can play without autistic guys or complète noobs, two types of players which are in constant flow in a F2P game.

99% of multiplayer games DO die eventually. If you can't find a public game to play on it's dead, definition of. NS2 barely had enough players just last week for me to find a game to play on with non-red (unplayable) ping at peak fucking hours. If reinforced and the free weekend hadn't happened then as far as it matters for me the game simply wouldn't be there for me anymore, and not for lack of wanting to play it. NS2 is on life support. Maybe people will still be there for your elitist gathers but the rest of us? It'll be nothing but a memory.

It's a very odd thing video games dying, or at-least barely played, because physical games like chess or monopoly never do, I just believe the over saturation of the market causes games to drop off, though funnily enough most games are the same with minute diffrence, in essence games don't die, but get a different name, especially the FPS and RTS genre both a have barely changed since their inception.

Though to sum up, aside from the silly medical analogy the video game itself isn't important, but the genre themself, there's the actual lifeforce to use your medical analogy, as long as this kinda of RTS/FPS go I'd be happy.

• undeadanimalundeadanimal Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186560Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem with Free to play, can be seen this weekend. I logged on to try out the new stuff and have a blast... instead i was overcrowded with abusive new players who had no attempt at team play, didn't understand how to command but insisted on doing it anyway, wouldn't take advice or the time to learn the game.... I much prefer a community who enjoys bettering their gameplay and teamwork.

just my opinion
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Free to play, so every day can be a free weekend full of greenies who neither care about nor respect the game and it's community. Not interested in fulfilling teamplay and strategy, they just wanna kill stuff 'n' shit. Servers are silent as nobody is using mic or knows enough about the game to offer any useful information over voice comms anyway. Servers fill up, then empty within 10 minutes of nobody jumping in the comm chair.

I can see it now, and it ain't pretty.
  • isunktheshipisunktheship Join Date: 2007-05-19 Member: 60947Members
    Even without F2P, I'd currently pay $5-10/mo to receive all future updates as well as access to an elite tier of servers with like-minded individuals (i.e. players with MICS).

Played NS1 for years - FREE
    Played NS2 for years - $24.99 (bought the Deluxe edition after missing Special)

So in ~6 years that's a grand total of $0.35 a month.

I'll be throwing money at UWE shortly, deciding what pack I want.. if anyone of you are arguing against F2P the least you can do is donate.
  • Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    MrFlip wrote: »
    in this video they explain that they can't make the game free to play because it would have to been f2p from the start and they don't want accounts and what not. team fortress 2 was not free to play from the start and there is still no account log in for tf2. your arguement is invalid it seems, unknown worlds.
    You don't need to log in for TF2 because it's done through Steam - they're both Valve products. UWE doesn't have that kind of access.

And making it F2P would piss a lot of players off. Have you seen how bad it gets on the free weekends?
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    You guys keep confusing F2P with P2W and how bad it is executed in most games (especially MMOs).
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Not going to happen. So many reasons, so little time to type when tired...
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    You guys keep confusing F2P with P2W and how bad it is executed in most games (especially MMOs).

No matter if F2P oder P2W. Just look at Warframe, as an example. Sure, you can decide to play it alone, gather all the materials and craft the purchase-able items instead of buying them, but!

If you decide to join or host a public match and play with "Randoms", you encounter...unfriendly people around 99% of the time. Speed Runners, who do not give a f*ck about it, that you need materials or credits. Just speed-run the map. Microphone Spammers. Kids, who can't or won't show respect and just throw around with words, which are filtered all the time...if they use the chat, instead of voice.

I could go on with a longer list, but that pretty much sums it up.

I don't want to see that happen in NS2.
    Hugh wrote: »
    Not going to happen. So many reasons, so little time to type when tired...

Word!

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members

It's a very odd thing video games dying, or at-least barely played, because physical games like chess or monopoly never do, I just believe the over saturation of the market causes games to drop off, though funnily enough most games are the same with minute diffrence, in essence games don't die, but get a different name, especially the FPS and RTS genre both a have barely changed since their inception.

Though to sum up, aside from the silly medical analogy the video game itself isn't important, but the genre themself, there's the actual lifeforce to use your medical analogy, as long as this kinda of RTS/FPS go I'd be happy.

They don't move on to similar games though. The whole arena FPS genre is practically dead. There is no similar game to NS2 unless you count NS1, which is dead afaik. If I wan't to play one of those, I can't. That's all that really matters, I want to play something and I can't.

I know it's not peak hours right now, I was seeing this shit during peak (6-11pm) before the free weekend, but the bottom line is I want to play NS2 RIGHT NOW, and I can't.

pSvWjm9.jpg
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Idleray wrote: »

In my opinion, there are creative solutions for F2P as long as UWE are willing to look for them. For instance TF2 has tickets that people can buy to play in higher quality servers.

I think that if NS2 were to go F2P the best justified way of getting revenue would be through the upcoming Organised Play Systems.... basically let players pay to play in the best quality, best organised servers.

So basically you're saying they should FORCE people to pay money simply for the ability to play in "higher quality" servers. Did it ever occur to you that there are some people who were only able to buy the game because it was on sale... People who wouldn't be able to afford a subscription or "tickets", so they would be FORCED to play on "low quality" servers.

Sorry but hell no. I've played several games that went F2P, and EVERY time it led to the game being completely destroyed. It's ironic that you point to TF2. I used to like that game before they ruined it with all the F2P garbage.

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I'd rather not bump this thread again but this deserves it's own post:

I never actually said I want NS2 to go free to play. What I said is that F2P is the final solution to the player problem, aka the last resort, because there's really nowhere else to go if it goes F2P and still fails. What I want is to solve the player problem, because at the end of the day I don't care who I'm playing with when my other option is not to play with anyone at all.