Sounds could use Improvements

SunTzuSunTzu Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188036Members
Hi, I finally decided to register and come aboard and share my feedback on this unique and excellent mod, I have been a player of NS since it was released on the original Half-Life game. I never got into playing it as much, I took the game as more of a causal experience, spending the majority of my time in other HL mods, namely Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat; However, it appears NS has done a better job than both of those games in terms of quality.

PLEASE IMPROVE SOUND QUALITY

The one thing that has always bothered me a lot about NS was the sound design. I never felt the weapons even in the original NS packed any punch. They felt weak, and for futuristic weapons which are suppose to be more powerful than our current ones. They sound like air-soft weapons.

I also wished this game featured some sort of atmospheric dynamic sound design, like in Call of Duty games, players automatically say things like "Enemy Down!", or "I'm reloading". If NS could incorperate some of these things, it would be great. For example; When a Skull is trying to bite a marine, everytime a bite is near the Marine, the Marine should yell out something in panic, or phrases like, "God damnit die!", or cries like "Help! Get it off me!". This is a very common situation where we have seen Marines being chased by Skulls in the first few minutes of the game.

In my opinion, the comma rose messages that players can use are not very great and a old system. It needs to be improved upon.

It would also be nice to include some kind of Alien ambiance when a aliens are near the Marines, such as hissing, drooling, or alien laughter. This can increase immersion when a Skull is on the roof tracking them, also making the Marines feel uneasy when going through dark corridors. Things like Aliens screaming when on fire could be really enjoyable and adds that little chuckle to the player playing the game, these things keep players coming back and telling their friends about it.

These are just suggestions, I hope you get the idea. Sound is a really important part of immersion, the visuals in this game are great! I just wish the sound was on the same level.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Skulks pant when idle now I think...
    Anyway, it could be a nice idea (just be careful when mentioning COD on these forums) :P

Also, welcome!
  • SunTzuSunTzu Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188036Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Anyway, it could be a nice idea (just be careful when mentioning COD on these forums) :P

Also, welcome!

COD was one of the games that came to mind, other games have this type of dynamic sound design, BF3 does, AA:PG, Rising Storm, GTA4, and more.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    As far as weapons go, I would love the return of the alpha/beta rifle (or at least the sounds)

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited September 2013
    I'm a bit of a pragmatist so I'm a bit biased, but what tactical value would shouting for help alerting your teammates (and more importantly enemies) that your hurt, and, louder guns and ambient noises that would alert the opposing team (especially hurtful for aliens) to your presence?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think there are too many tactical situations in ns2 where silence is needed. Example: a skulk runs by, not seein me, and I auto yell "ARGHHHHHH," then my position is compromised needlessly. Easier to bind/more variety taunts and voice orders would be nice, however.

Also, NS2 is not a mod of HL or HL2, it's runnin on it's own engine. :D Which is probably why it seems the quality is higher than these 10 year old games on the the hl2 engine. DoD:S ftw!
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    I don't think that randomness of sound will suit this game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dislike the idea of more powerful sounding guns. Its not how loud your gun is but how bad it hurts. Maybe the marines futuristic weapons use a different kinda firing mechanisms that isn't as loud... Use your imagination to immerse yourself.

Marines shouting when being attacked I like, but not for immersion. It would raise the skill floor. I don't know how many times I have been behind a new marine biting/swiping etc and they don't even respond.

I dislike the aliens making noises when near marines. I dislike the current panting while idle. Aliens are supposed to be stealthy in my opinion. Screaming while on fire I say "Why not!"
  • SunTzuSunTzu Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188036Members
    edited September 2013
    In case many of you are unaware, most of the automatic dynamic atmospheric sounds are client sided or team sided, you can specifically code in sounds where only your team hears it, or both parties hears it, or only you hear it. It just depends on the trigger that causes the sound to play.

Perhaps the Aliens making noises when creeping on Marines could be a comma rose feature as you can do currently, or a individual feature, all this, is just to improve the current sound design which I find lacking.

Theres only really two things I think this game needs to feature as a Aliens/Marines space game.

Gore, and better sound.

Even something like Chivalry's gore would be enough satisfaction visually.

Immersion quality is one of the most important features for video-games.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens spray blood when shot, and explode when shot with the rail gun. Marines spray red blood when biten/swiped/attacked.
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find there is a real lack of feeling with marines guns, It does not bother me however a future update with a little more gore (skulks/fades/lerks exploding vs shotguns or grenade launcher for example, or loose their legs when they are killed) and more rough sounds could be a good idea, not to much for not making the game confusing.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    SunTzu wrote: »
    I also wished this game featured some sort of atmospheric dynamic sound design, like in Call of Duty games, players automatically say things like "Enemy Down!", or "I'm reloading". If NS could incorperate some of these things, it would be great. For example; When a Skull is trying to bite a marine, everytime a bite is near the Marine, the Marine should yell out something in panic, or phrases like, "God damnit die!", or cries like "Help! Get it off me!". This is a very common situation where we have seen Marines being chased by Skulls in the first few minutes of the game.

This isn't l4d. I don't need to hear my character talk every time he sees something or reloads his weapon.
  • jolonne5jolonne5 Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187103Members
    dragonmith wrote: »

Also, welcome!

CoD is awesome dude. It has females in the game now too. Plus surround sound that works.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @jolonne5

"A man doesn't just give his life for his county... he gives his sons."

@_@

I'm not sure when the campaigns took a turn from Pro-USA (which was and is fine) to radical USA, but some of the stuff in the trailers is a bit ridiculous...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd like more powerful weapon sounds, and better in-hand weapon models, well not better just more bad-ass looking

Feels nice to be carrying around the AWP or the deagle
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    #bringbackhornyskulkpantingwhenwalljumping

Yes, it's a thing.

Also, I miss the different sounds for the marine rifles corresponding to different levels (but please no dentist drill). When was that removed and why?
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It never was. There's still a noticeable difference to the rifle's sound as you get weapon upgrades.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can't seem to tell, I'll pay more attention. I could've sworn they sound the same.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    I can't seem to tell, I'll pay more attention. I could've sworn they sound the same.

It's actually quite distinct... It goes from ratata to a much faster and scary ratata the higher the level. Only the rifle does this though...

Also random sounds is a very bad design for a game which requires tactics and full control of your character. Even if they are client side only, that's simply counter intuitive.

Now on the subject of sounds and effects which I'd love to see on the rifle is what Doom 3 does with the submachine gun, that near empty beep-beep-beep and red ammo indicator. Maybe just the red indicator, can you imagine a squad of marines constantly beeping :P
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    HeatSurge wrote: »

It's actually quite distinct... It goes from ratata to a much faster and scary ratata the higher the level. Only the rifle does this though...

Also random sounds is a very bad design for a game which requires tactics and full control of your character. Even if they are client side only, that's simply counter intuitive.

Now on the subject of sounds and effects which I'd love to see on the rifle is what Doom 3 does with the submachine gun, that near empty beep-beep-beep and red ammo indicator. Maybe just the red indicator, can you imagine a squad of marines constantly beeping :P

I would also like a beep beep beep and red ammo indicator. Sounds fantastic Kouji.
  • UruktosUruktos Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162139Members
    james888 wrote: »
    I dislike the idea of more powerful sounding guns. Its not how loud your gun is but how bad it hurts. Maybe the marines futuristic weapons use a different kinda firing mechanisms that isn't as loud... Use your imagination to immerse yourself.

Sound is far more important than animations and damage stats when it comes to the feel of the gunplay. NS2 sounds are all over the place. Some are demonstrably weaker, some are OK.

I don't care for L4D like random sounds, but combat sounds could definitely use an overhaul.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited September 2013
    The main problem are the dynamic effects. There's so much reverb everywhere that everything sounds far away.
    Personally I kínd of like the weapon sounds. They sound futuristic, because they are quieter. I mean, shoot a gun from today in a space ship made of metal, you'll be deaf afterwards.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ambient sounds are just annoying. SPRÖÖÖÖ SPRIII SPRÅÅÅ sounds on background after hearing them for the 10000nd time is just annoying.
    Ability to remove them easily would even the playfield between those who can remove them vs them who can't