Medpacks are NOT optional

halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
So on two separate occasions just today, after complaining about not getting meds in fights against fades and lerks, two different marine comms told me they don't med marines who are on their own. In neither case was it rarely ever them just missing particular fights: one was clearly and repeatedly making a choice not to drop any medpacks as sort of punishment for not being where they asked everyone to be, the other was making a choice to let anyone fighting higher lifeforms alone die because they thought it was hopeless anyway.

Now before people write this off as just another guy being butthurt over not getting all the attention all the time, let me explain.

Medpacks are BY FAR the most important investment as a marine commander. Both in terms of return value and in terms of resource management/prioritising. Every bit of additional damage each medpack buys you is well worth the res, especially on higher lifeforms. Those 10 more bullets someone gets into that fade might just be the 10 bullets that finish it off or enable the next marine around the corner to kill it. Worst case scenario, you're still buying time by enforcing a retreat.

Pub commanders everywhere, please med your marines. Unless you're on 1 or 2 RTs and need to recap, there's never a good enough excuse not to support your team.

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I absolutely agree that medpacks are the most important aspect of being a commander, and a comm who doesn't drop meds is about as useful as a comm who doesn't get upgrades. Solo marines also tend to me the most productive members of the team as they are normally more experienced and know what to do. Not medding those marines is essentially suicide.

The only times it's acceptable to pass up meds is when you are on 1-2 RTs and need to rebuild or if the marine is clearly about to die.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree if they are hero players. If they are bad and continually fail at their lone ventures. I will not invest in lone bad players. I think you know who i mean.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    You want a med, ammo? Just build the armory I dropped then!

sigh
    I hate when commanders do this.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    I agree if they are hero players. If they are bad and continually fail at their lone ventures. I will not invest in lone bad players. I think you know who i mean.
    ^This.
    Despite the well worded OP, this case was not mentioned.. and it occurs often in pubs..
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Too often this happens in pubs. Meds really make the difference between winning and losing engagements, and when it comes down to something like taking out a gorge or tunnel or harvester, a little attention from the comm can go a long way in shutting down alien expansion before it becomes a problem. Support your marines, comms! Hear "soldier under attack" or med rqst? SPACE -> E -> S -> M1. It's so easy to do, there should be no excuses!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Soooo many times I've been soloing a hive with a JP and a GL (usually Cargo on Veil) and the ammo just won't come... no matter how much I spam Z or scream into the mic. What planet are these people living on?

SOLDIER NEEDS AMMO! SOLDIER NEEDS AMMO! SOLDIER NEEDS AMMO! SOLDIER NEEDS AMMO! SOLDIER NEEDS AMMO!

"They do? Well I'll be damned! I sure hope they get it."
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    I hate it when med pack and ammo Requests are spammed, especially when your concentrating on a push or defense, I much rather have marine use mic with request and room name. Eg ammo cargo, or res logistics, it helps a lot to give room name or nearby room, allows other marines near by to go assist those rooms and overall map awareness. I prefer to med a group, but if a single marine tells me his plans, and it useful then I can keep an eye on him because I know what he's up too, and will support him.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    firepower wrote: »
    I hate it when med pack and ammo Requests are spammed, especially when your concentrating on a push or defense, I much rather have marine use mic with request and room name. Eg ammo cargo, or res logistics, it helps a lot to give room name or nearby room, allows other marines near by to go assist those rooms and overall map awareness. I prefer to med a group, but if a single marine tells me his plans, and it useful then I can keep an eye on him because I know what he's up too, and will support him.

But this sounds a lot like you're a GOOD commander who is paying attention! :)

It pisses me off to no end when the commander doesn't talk or communicate in much of any way, and just seems to be afk the whole time, apart from dropping structures and if you're lucky: being able to perform a beacon.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    You want a med, ammo? Just build the armory I dropped then!

sigh

I said that to Gibs and friends yesterday. Fun stuff.
    firepower wrote: »
    If you can not keep up with the order spam (Request Medkit/Ammo/Build) then you need to adapt and be quicker. I've never been in an issue where I was overwhelmed by requests, and easily took care of everyone including the solo marines. Also, requesting medkit/ammo through a microphone takes 5 times longer than pressing a single button to alert the commander of the exact position on the map where they need medkit/ammo.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I never ask for meds and ammo on solo missions, unless I know I'm going to do even more with support, then I use mic to report "Commander, I'm at X, destroying Y, I need meds/ammo/all support you can give (in case I'm at hive and I know I can get all the upgrades or hive itself)" and only then I press Q or Z. And of course, this should happen before you run out of what you need, so commander has enough time to finish his current business, while I can still fight on my own.
    Works really well, since commander now knows it's not another "I spawned and pressed Q instead of W" request, and even if there were multiple requests at one time, comm now knows where else support is needed. However, system can be modified with relative ease to be more comfortable for commanders.

What would be cool, is if current locations was showed under player name that is speaking, shouldn't be a problem since you see player location in team chat messages. Even cooler, if clicking on talking person's name would take you there, much like alert messages.
    Or at least make "say TEXT" bindable, so you can bind "say <<<Need ammo" and when you press the button it looks like "(Crevice) xen32: <<<Need ammo".
    Another cool thing would be is to modify "Soldier is under attack" and "Soldier needs ammo" text messages to be more informative: ProKiller1998 is under attack at Pipeline, Deathbringer3000 needs ammo at Chasm.
    Even better, if status was there as well, i.e.: Deathbringer3000 needs ammo at Chasm (30% ammo), ProKiller1998 is under attack (40% health)
    Clicking on those takes you to that place where they are already, which is cool. More info would help reacting to multiple requests, instead of asking "Who else asked for ammo? Request again please"
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    james888 wrote: »
    Almost every time I vocally complain about this, the comm tries to make their point by medspamming me in future engagements, and every single time it ends up proving MY point instead.

I'm a technically average player, but I play intelligently enough to make it worth a comm's while. But yeah, good comms will know the difference between useful and useless ramboing while bad comms will think every solo marine is being useless.

I told one of those comms yesterday that by investing in medpacks, you're not necessarily buying kills directly. Most of all you're buying time. If you don't understand the value of time, you shouldn't be commanding.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    LOL at the tool observation!
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Even med'ing mediocre players can be useful to gain some precious time for a redeployement, flanking, etc... Med'ing a player should have a purpose, either to enpower the med'ed player, conserve map control or to create a buffer zone.

There is absolutely no reason to not give ammo to marines. Furthermore you can pretty much predict when marines will need ammo if you comm with your map opened all the time ( which not enough comms do imo).
  • orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    I is beter to scan + marine male harvester, than to drop amo + shot harvester!
    And if marine solo rifle vs fade, lol just w8 and upgrade something. All this talk is pub related cuz for pros , this topic is waste of time :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im a commander who often meds mostly groups and not solo folk. But then again, this is not a black & white situation.
    If the solo marine is doing useful work then yes that marine gets shiny med support if im able.

So I guess for every comm it should boil down to 'is it useful to med this person'.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Medpaks are nice, but it's annoying when people expect the comm to give out tons of them. They should be used wisely but sparingly.

If the marine wants constant heals, then use the armory obv. I find it especially annoying when marines complain about not getting meds when they throw themselves into suicide scenarios.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    Medpaks are nice, but it's annoying when people expect the comm to give out tons of them. They should be used wisely but sparingly.

If the marine wants constant heals, then use the armory obv. I find it especially annoying when marines complain about not getting meds when they throw themselves into suicide scenarios.

Go watch a few minutes of competitive play.

Though I will concede that you cannot med at the rate you normally would in a public game, assuming you're on a server in which you have twice as many marines to med; in this case, yeah, you might want to buy an extra armory or so. Of course the problem is that people tend to glue themselves to it...
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Nothing makes me more mad than doing 350 to fade solo with a rifle and no meds just to die and the fade goes back to heal.

As for this, suiciding on alien RTs is actually a part of the game. If you can harass an alien natural with just an LMG, what's the loss to you? 1 death on the scoreboard. You lose no res since you had an LMG. However, aliens have to pull back from biting your RTs or expanding their base in order to response to the res harass. But if you have a shotty/rifle pressure team, and a fade responds, yes. I would expect meds. Learning when to med and how much to med is the key.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    False. Nothing makes me more mad than doing 500 to a fade that is apparently getting mucoused and it doesnt die. But lack of meds is also frustrating.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    False. Nothing makes me more mad than doing 500 to a fade that is apparently getting mucoused and it doesnt die. But lack of meds is also frustrating.
    Ah, forgot the mucous. Just got angrier. X(

At the moment of my post, you have 6 disagrees right off the bat.

There is a difference between "tons" and topping off all Marines at 100 hp. It costs resources, but if you're over 3 RTs you can easily keep medding while still getting upgrades. Albeit, you need to make sure each medkit counts (lands) otherwise you'll start seeing repercussions.

An armory is a terrible idea. Not only is it a whole 10 T.Res for what could only be 3-4 medkits, but it encourages clinginess (as someone else kindly pointed out). Not only that, but the armory is no longer active once in combat. Even if I were to stand(face first, since armory only heals if you are face-first) next to an armory in combat, it would only heal me at the rate of 25hp/1sec(?), whereas that Skulk/Fade around the corner can do 150hp/1sec. It also adds an obstacle for Aliens to hide behind, and even jump off of.

In conclusion, an Armory is terrible. Learn to med/ammo your marines. The Armory only is useful when the Aliens are chipping the marines, not combating them. (Chipping, as in Gorgespit, Lerkspikes, Skulkparasite, small damage, ect.).
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In defence of the Lord of Disagree ( @Coolitic), when pubbing on a large server (24) constantly topping of marines hp+ammo is a bad idea and will get in the way of your upgrade tempo. On these servers there's always atleast 1 fight going on, usually more. You can totally bankrupt yourself on medding. I usually med sparingly and only spam my best players.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CCTEE wrote: »
    You can totally bankrupt yourself on medding. I usually med sparingly and only spam my best players.

Yes, good technique in large servers especially if the spam is ultimately not helping to actually win engagements. I have sure made the mistake of repeatedly medding groups of marines who just cant aim and get destroyed, resulting in minimal upgrades by the time a dozen engagements have been fought and lost.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Oh and i recommend using them as PubCookies: when somebody shoots and kills something you top him off, even if he doesnt really needs it. This will motivate his 25%hp and 0 ammo comrades to perform better.
    Edit: esp. those named SNB :p