Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    not sure if this has been shared around here, but for those who are interested here is an interview with Hugh and Alex from Faultline Games

Hi Jibrail, can you please include the link to Faultline games web page in your sig? Will make it easier to get there for me (I know I should bookmark the site once I found it), but thought it would be nice to go to your site's forum to check out Combat! news.
    Thanks
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    2cough wrote: »
    Something I'm curious about us whether or not alien and marine movement will be the same. I guess what I'm getting at is would it still be a useful tool for practicing ns2 or will enough tHings be slightly altered enough that I don't want to get too used to things in combat so as not to carry more bad habits into real ns2 games?

Still curious about this. Any insight @Jibrail or anybody else?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Something I'm curious about us whether or not alien and marine movement will be the same. I guess what I'm getting at is would it still be a useful tool for practicing ns2 or will enough tHings be slightly altered enough that I don't want to get too used to things in combat so as not to carry more bad habits into real ns2 games?

Still curious about this. Any insight @Jibrail or anybody else?
    Movement is not touched as of now AFAIK
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited April 2014
    @Cannon_FodderAUS
    Thanks for the nice suggestion!
    Done :D

@2cough
    Things have been altered, specially the damage and health values ( some small movement changes has been done and more inbound ), so no this wont fit for training for NS2 now, that is one area that I'm glad we are breaking away from as it set pretty difficult constraints to work around in old Combat ( the mod ).
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hahaha, the only way this interview could have been more cheesy was if hugh asked 'natural selection 2? what's that?!'
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I still don't understand the point?

I don't think you guys are just out to make a quick bit of money but at the same time i don't like what you're doing either, i like ns2, i like combat but i've played combat for free and consider it a mod which is something free to the community for the better, others helped by making maps, we all get to play so everyone wins.

Do you plan to actually add anything substantial to the mod?

No im not talking about simply more maps and extra levels or a a build menu, stuff id like sure but certainly not pay for...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited April 2014
    Electr0 wrote: »
    I still don't understand the point?

I don't think you guys are just out to make a quick bit of money but at the same time i don't like what you're doing either, i like ns2, i like combat but i've played combat for free and consider it a mod which is something free to the community for the better, others helped by making maps, we all get to play so everyone wins.

Do you plan to actually add anything substantial to the mod?

No im not talking about simply more maps and extra levels or a a build menu, stuff id like sure but certainly not pay for...

Meh, ns2 wasn't made for combat (AFAIK). The mods are a bit sub par and I'm sure won't even compare to this game. I have a feeling it'll be better than the ns2 mods. And, if people want to run a combat mod on an ns2 server, I'm pretty sure they can still do it.

All about quality, fun-factor, player retention (new ns2ers could be entirely confused as to why one ns2 server is completely different than vanilla ns2), and if they make money (they will).

Stick to the free mods if you wish. But I bet it won't even be remotely as good as the stand alone.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    @Electr0‌ I understand where you are coming from. I think tbh, the combat mod added alot to the NS2 game (it is a lot of work) for both the coders and the mapper who do it out of love of the game. I think that is great they put their time in, so others can enjoy what they offered for free. Having said all that, I don't think its wrong for them (the mod team), to say, this is alot of work to maintain the mod and patch it when it breaks with each new NS2 patch. We are stopping development, here is the source files for anyone who want to continue the upkeep of the mod (they could have just abandon it entirely without releasing the source).

So, why not if given the opportunity for them to break away from the constraints of NS2 and have the mod as standalone? It will be NS2 based, but they can now make changes that go far and beyond what they could do if it was tethered to NS2 base game. It also means, now that it is a paid and standalone product, there is no excuse for things breaking or not working. They can also tweak extra play modes and add other things (eg. the new awesome looking menu - not because they couldn't before, but now it makes sense as things need to be more polished).

Yeah, I am a fan boy of all things NS, so will buy this - I think it will be fun, and can be a cure for my quick NS2 fix when I don't have time for a potentially one hour game.

EDIT: added last para.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd like to know if NS2 incorporating new assets made for Combat is on the table, and if so, how will that work?
    I'd like to know if NS2 incorporating new assets made for Combat is on the table, and if so, how will that work?
    Not sure what you mean, can you explain more?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I will definitely be supporting standalone combat - you can count on me for that. I think it's fine that you break away from the confines of the NS2 mod, although I would very much like to see the mod updated, as it's a great, easily accessible training ground (at least in comp mode) for practising without needing a private server (sv_cheats 1) and a lot of people online at the same time. Obviously this will be done by keen and talented community members, so thank you for making that source code available before moving on to standalone combat!

Exciting times :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Not sure what you mean, can you explain more?
    Lets say you wanted to improve combat in a way that was a definite value add for it over ns2, like perfectly balanced alternative weapon setups with new models and shiny effects for instance. Or a new alien ability or life form even. Is that something that you have the freedom to do? And if these features were added would there be an effort to port it back to ns2?
    @meatmachine Yes, we do have the freedom to do it and we are currently doing it! :D
    And no there will probably be no effort to port it back to NS2 as that is not our game, our focus is 100% on Combat.
    Only drawback for this game is... if ns2 ever does go f2p (I am indifferent to f2p).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

Erm, gmod doesn't even technically use source anymore. The engine itself was no longer considered source after gmod 13 due to many modifications.

Also, only the early stages of gmod was mod for hl2. It's been standalone for a while now. (gmod 10)
    RapGod wrote: »
    Only drawback for this game is... if ns2 ever does go f2p (I am indifferent to f2p).

Sure we might take a hit from it but I don't think it will be big as we will be offering new things.
    edited May 2014
    @Jibrail‌
    a) That's freaking awesome, I can't wait to try out the new toys :)
    b) It feels kind of... Weird... Knowing that the combat in NS2 is going to be in certain ways a stripped-down version of Combat combat. Albeit vice versa for the strategic elements, but the whole point of combat is that it lacks these. The point of NS2 isn't "combat... with strategy, and less fun!", yet that's how I feel it's in danger of coming across.
    Do you agree or empathise with my thoughts at all?
    Do you think the addition of new stuff devalues the content ns2 has already?
    Yes there are things like that that I think about but I think NS2 has had its share of updates and additions and that its us who have to make sure to add the right amount of things that have value and doesn't change Combat from the working formula we got now.
    Confused me there for a second @meatmachine, was that a quote fail? :p
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    bump

If you're going to bump the thread, do it with some screenshots, gameplay trailers or at the very least some information. If you want people to keep talking, you have to give them something to talk about.
    @Jibrail‌ will player skin/model customisation be in line with NS2, using delux, black armour etc? Any details on what kind of features you have planned on this front?
    @Jibrail‌ will player skin/model customisation be in line with NS2, using delux, black armour etc? Any details on what kind of features you have planned on this front?

Just thinking out loud @meatmachine, but I would assume Combat hasn't got the baggage of NS2 in the number of entities and complexity, so hopefully you have more memory and cpu cycles to spare for more things. I would pay to have some dlc skins for combat (a couple of bucks), and may be a portion of that can go back to UWE. I want the uber smg / lmg skin from Evil_Ice.

a bunch of messages has been sent out to people to become a part of our playtesting team so check your messages on here, I think more will be sent it soonish depending on how many more we need.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Are there going to be special skins available to people who preorder? (ie black skin in ns2).
    GORGE ARMOUR FOR MARINES LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN
    a bunch of messages has been sent out to people to become a part of our playtesting team so check your messages on here, I think more will be sent it soonish depending on how many more we need.

Haven't gotten the message yet, must be an important lead pter role. Sigh, the wait.

• STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    any chance of bringing this back into the marine upgrade tree?

2dhzajr.jpg

I can see why giving a marine a nade everytime he spawns in NS2 as a problem, but with combat I dont see any reason this little badboy cant come back

and perhaps go looking into how you can add additions and "improve" existing weapons later on.

as for aliens, please look at babblers and how to make them more useful in direct combat, at the moment there to much hassle to bother with, perhaps making it so instead of a nest you simple fire them in a sorta bile bomb fashion that explodes into 3 babblers either attacking nearby enemies or attaching onto friendlys hit by the sac. Even in NS2 there currently to slow, with the fast paced action of combat they will be even more useless unless reworked as a direct attack rather than a set up defence.
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    @Jibrail I have a few questions I apologize if you have already answered them. I give you guys props for making NS Combat, I loved NS1 Xmenu combat(hunger ethereal fade was ridiculously fun to play).

Are you guys using Spark 2.0 if not is the version of Spark that you guys are using updated?

Please tell me that you guys are bringing back hunger, ethereal, nano repair, and static. They made combat so much fun.

I would also like to see a rework of the Onos any plans for this? Such as a beefy wall climbing skulk. The current NS2 remake of the NS1 is lame needs a overhaul hopefully you guys are taking up the task.

Any ways, I'm normally incredible harsh on UWE but I do love the NS series including old NS mods. Its just that the Spark engine had so much time invested in it and it is the biggest problem with NS 2 hopefully you guys avoid the issues.

I hope your time and effort pays off I'm sure the results with display this.