267: FPS quality, part 1: Texture streaming

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Guys just wait for Part 2 ;)
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait! Sounds bloody awesome!
    Now to translate - New patch = good! Grug make fire now!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Would probably gobble up memory if lots of them are precompiled o.o
    If we had x64 bit ns2 this would not be a problem for some of us...
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hmm... checked r_stats, my graphic card does not lie. 4096MB on board, 4096MB reported as free. Seems the extra bucks invested into a model with more VRAM was a good decision. I have texture streaming turned off anyway.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Hmm... checked r_stats, my graphic card does not lie. 4096MB on board, 4096MB reported as free. Seems the extra bucks invested into a model with more VRAM was a good decision. I have texture streaming turned off anyway.

Yea, well... thing is, the driver reports texture memory available as an unsigned int (GetAvailableTextureMem) . Which maxes out at 4Gb of vram. So your card may be trying to lie its head off ... but it just can't.

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    fan freaking tastic. So the virtual memory is a thing NS2 does, but it gets that number from the video card driver? I'm assuming that is the case otherwise that would never have been an issue(the other parts of course notwithstanding).

Perhaps put a thing into the code that detects when memory is likely a false reading (somewhere around 3.5GB, I've never seen a 3.5GB graphics card ever before) and prompts the user to change the setting manually for best game performance.

I've got a quadro card in my laptop with 4GB of VRAM, any way of letting us disable texture streaming if we have an ungodly amount of VRAM? I prefer to not see textures load in.

Thanks for this post, very enjoyable to read.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    There will be a "disabled"/"none" setting (forgot its name), that is basically unlimited and what you would want with such a card (that said, ns2 will never actually use that much).
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
    Awesome! Seems the Radeon HD6870 doesn't lie either btw

Suck on that nvidia fanbois! ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I have texture streaming turned off anyway.
    Not possible.
    It's forced on / hard coded for all users.

Hence low VRAM users having issues since reinforced when this was introduced.

• GodWolfGodWolf California Join Date: 2014-07-14 Member: 197419Members
    Can't wait, the game goes to terrible fps on my crossfired HD6900s
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Not possible.

Low VRAM means in this case anyone with <1.5 GB VRAM at some maps :D
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Not possible.

I have R9 290 with 4Gb VRAM and I have "bad" FPS. Glad it can be fixed ^_^
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited July 2014
    Can the appropriate value really not be detected automatically some other way? I think we can safely assume a relatively small portion of players even venture into to the options and an even smaller understands what they're looking at. Running well out of the box must be considered important. An option is a great start but it only helps the existing, technical player base.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lwf wrote: »
    Can the appropriate value really not be detected automatically some other way? I think we can safely assume a relatively small portion of players even venture into to the options and an even smaller understands what they're looking at. Running well out of the box must be considered important. An option is a great start but it only helps the existing, technical player base.

If the game had the proper device ID name, it could query a list and know I imagine.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    every hardware device has a unique id. Games can indeed query this. So technicly yes, its possible.

However with all the new hardware coming out on such fast pace and all the hardware already out, making such a list is huge work I imagine. Keeping it up to date even more.
    I have seen games from far bigger companies doing just this. And what happens? After x years they do not recognise the card or recognise it wrong. Meaning it picks wrong settings and you still gotta do it manually.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    But surely you don't have to know a model specific ID of the video card the game is running on, in advance? I'll be the first to admit I don't know how this works, but that's just implausibly terrible.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if you want to know what card the game has you need to match the id and or model number. So yes, you are required to know them.
    Of course you can update the list later, but that still requires labor.

How else would you know? To my knowledge, gpu manufacturers dont have a list called 'our cards' for game devs to use. (then again, I never asked them)
    But seeing as how folk are reliant on 3rd party sites to check unknown IDs I doubt such a open list from manufacturers exists.
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes, it should be possible. On Windows you can use DXGI (DirectX 10 and up)/DirectDraw/WMI to get mostly correct figures; DXGI and DirectDraw seem to low-ball it a bit, returning 1990 MB instead of 2048 MB on my card for example. I don't know about Linux, but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult.
    Thats not querying the card id but directx. :p
    still if it gets the job done.. ^^

/alwaysnicetolearnstuff
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Prommah wrote: »
    Yes, it should be possible. On Windows you can use DXGI (DirectX 10 and up)/DirectDraw/WMI to get mostly correct figures; DXGI and DirectDraw seem to low-ball it a bit, returning 1990 MB instead of 2048 MB on my card for example. I don't know about Linux, but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult.
    If you need to use DX10, aren't you leaving out the XP users?

PS: I don't have access to the engine code or necessarily know if there are other limitations, self-imposed or otherwise.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    GodWolf wrote: »
    Can't wait, the game goes to terrible fps on my crossfired HD6900s

FPS =/= frametimes.

Don't get any false expectations.
  • PrommahPrommah Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180293Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Mendasp wrote: »

Yup, but then you'd just fall back to DirectDraw if DXGI isn't available. With DXGI being simpler, suited to the task and more future proof it'd probably be better to attempt it first.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

PS: I don't have access to the engine code or necessarily know if there are other limitations, self-imposed or otherwise.

Apropos XP users.

Microsoft stopped supporting that.

How many of you are still using XP?
    I'm curious, because maybe we can stop worrying about some issues if there's only 3 people left using XP.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester

Apropos XP users.

Microsoft stopped supporting that.

How many of you are still using XP?
    I'm curious, because maybe we can stop worrying about some issues if there's only 3 people left using XP.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    4.9% of Steamusers on XP32-bit, .27% on 64-bit.

Looks like 1.9% thereabouts below DX10?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Directed to anyone CDT, is there a chance that way down the line x64 ns2 might come into existence?
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Mmm... thing is, x64 is not like adding support for osx or linux; ie expanding to a new group of users. x64 users can run the current program as well as 32-bit users... so the only reasons to go to 64-bit would be that either you wanted to do things that can't be done on a 32-bit, or there are so few 32-bit users left that you can drop that platform and go to 64 bit just because its easier to work in.

But right now 32 bit isn't causing us that much of a problem, and there are enough 32bit users left (I think? Anyone got numbers?) that going 64 bit only seems unnecessary.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    james888 wrote: »
    Directed to anyone CDT, is there a chance that way down the line x64 ns2 might come into existence?
    matso wrote: »
    Mmm... thing is, x64 is not like adding support for osx or linux; ie expanding to a new group of users. x64 users can run the current program as well as 32-bit users... so the only reasons to go to 64-bit would be that either you wanted to do things that can't be done on a 32-bit, or there are so few 32-bit users left that you can drop that platform and go to 64 bit just because its easier to work in.

But right now 32 bit isn't causing us that much of a problem, and there are enough 32bit users left (I think? Anyone got numbers?) that going 64 bit only seems unnecessary.

I was saying way down the line because it is unnecessary. The only reason I would even want x64 is because I have seen some mods that made infestation look better for example, or shadows better, but used more memory and were not viable do to the x32 limit.
    Actually for 64bit users, you can use much more memory then 2GB per application if the application is aware of a certain flag. (I checked, it is)
    The hard max is still 4GB but really.. you would hit 4GB of memory purely for ns2?

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I thought DX Diag got the 'lies' VRAM number too?

Pretty sure I don't have 5898 MB of VRAM ....