Items randomly dissapear

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
It happens occasionally that whenever I pick up or craft an item that it simply disappears, but it still consumes the items from my inventory and shifts the items

It can get very frustrating, especially when I have to find the ingredients for a constructor two-three times jsut to get a seamoth.

Just wondering if this is known, since it happened fairly frequently with the prototypes as well.

Whats interesting is that it seems to happen based on the performace of the computer I'm using.

On my main gaming rig at home (that can run NS2 very well) this doesn't really happen, but on my weaksauce work laptop, it happens may 1 in 4 times (even though the game itself seems to be running ok with only a little hitching and slowing)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• LimeyLimey United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-10-30 Member: 199210Members
    I've had problems with items duplicating in my inventory (It sounds great, but since it's it only happens with a depleted aquajet it's a big annoyance) but I haven't had items dissapearing.
  • MaverickNZMaverickNZ New Zealand Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199115Members
    I have had this same issue, where you craft an item and it moves down to the inventory bar on the bottom and then disappears, yep its frustrating with a high cost item like the constructor, have logged a bug report for it when it happened.
  • SeaMichelleSeaMichelle Canada Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199228Members
    MaverickNZ wrote: »
    I have had this same issue, where you craft an item and it moves down to the inventory bar on the bottom and then disappears, yep its frustrating with a high cost item like the constructor, have logged a bug report for it when it happened.

I found that the Constructor duplicates. When I try to place it with a hotkey, it makes a new one in my inventory, but if I drop it, it deploys without dupe, so I usually just drop it.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    the constructor is super buggy right now, so that will get fixed, but is it happening for other items as well?
  • DohmanDohman Denmark Join Date: 2014-05-06 Member: 195839Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't noticed any other items behaving like the constructor in regards to that bug, but that is also the only item that you deploy with the mouse through the hotbar. I imagine that you are calling a different function when you drop it regularly through the inventory (my right clicking it), than what you call when you drop it through the hotbar.

Also, I noticed that the constructor is the only item, that when you fabricate it, will show up on the fabricator as it's building it (with no texture, it's just purple) Will other items do something similar? As in, you put in the sandlot, and you can see the silicone getting manufactured (same effect as the seamoth possibly) on the plate?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yup, Dohman, it is intended that all the items you craft will show up on the fabricator as they are being constructed, it just hasn't been implemented that way yet.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    @SteveRock‌

Yeah, It has happened when picking up items (seen this with sand, metal, mushrooms and quartz).

It also happens when crafting other items (seen this with crafting glass, carbon, and the constructor)

In both cases the items dissapear (you pick up the metal, but it does not go into your inventory or the fabricator consumes the items, but does not return the crafted item)

From what I can tell, it has to do with low framerate. Maybe the step that actually counts the item as in your inventory gets lost in the lag?

will try to turn resolution and graphics down on the same computer and report back with results.

Set the settings to minimum with no change.

Example:

Started with:
    5 metal
    6 sand

Ended with:
    1 tank
    1 silicone
    1 metal (had to craft the tank twice to get one)

Here is the system info of the machine this happens the most on:
    Time of this report: 11/2/2014, 15:48:27
    Machine name: IZON_WIN7_CB
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: Satellite L655
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.60
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8054MB RAM
    Page File: 6628MB used, 9477MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

p.s. let me know if you need any addittonal info
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Yeah about 50% of the items I craft never make it into my inventory.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hmm maybe when you craft them, there is no room left in your inventory? There is obviously horrible feedback for this, but can you check if that may be the case?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I get this too it seems to be a speed thing. like the inventory and the game world are not in sync. I get is mostly when i spam click something in the fabricator or picking up sand. Does not seem to be based on space it just seems to happen some times.
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    I'm pretty sure it would happen regardless of how many items I had. I will double check tonight when I get home. I can make a YouTube video of it if that would help.
    Gotcha. thanks for investigating! definitely will look into this.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @SteveRock‌

For me, it happened first time out of the lifepod.

I immediatly went down and grabbed 6 piles of sand (had to grab 7 times), then crafted 2 silicone. Plenty of inventory space!
  • DohmanDohman Denmark Join Date: 2014-05-06 Member: 195839Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What kinds of FPS are you guys getting?
    I get about 80 most of the time, and I don't have any inventory issues, except for the constructor.
    hard to say, but on this work laptop it stutters pretty frequetly.
  • MistwalkerMistwalker England Join Date: 2014-10-25 Member: 199108Members
    On a related note, because I'd run out of inventory slots I dumped a load of items on the seabed below my escape pod with the aim of collecting them later when I had more space but a few mins later they had all disappeared. If the game is aiming at permanence, as in whatever we do to the environment remains that way, shouldn't items we dump on the seabed stay, in the same way things we remove stay removed?
    Mistwalker wrote: »
    On a related note, because I'd run out of inventory slots I dumped a load of items on the seabed below my escape pod with the aim of collecting them later when I had more space but a few mins later they had all disappeared. If the game is aiming at permanence, as in whatever we do to the environment remains that way, shouldn't items we dump on the seabed stay, in the same way things we remove stay removed?

100% Absolutely. We kinda forgot to code saving of your dropped items. Bug will be fixed!
    Tks for the reply, Steve. You guys are awesome. :)
  • SeaMichelleSeaMichelle Canada Join Date: 2014-10-31 Member: 199228Members
    Mistwalker wrote: »

That's a hard one, I'd imagine, since if everything you drop stays, it'll affect performance like mad. One of the static rules of game design is that more entities = more resources = worse performance. Then again, I'm not familiar with the engine these guys use, so I'm not sure if there's a workaround for it, but there's at least a reasonable explanation for it.
    We think we fixed this recently. Try experimental and see if it repros.
    Just played again, and it seems to be dramatically better.

I crafted a tank, flippers and constructer and only had the issue happen when I tried to pick up one piece of metal.

(same bad work laptop
    Yup, looks like you fixed it. I dumped a load of stuff on the seabed near the pod again and then went exploring for half an hour. Came back and it was all right there where I left it. Fast work, guys :)