I wants all de cute pets!

jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
I like the idea of pets in Subnautica and thought they could serve a purpose in the game.

For instance, an alternate version of a mesmer could stun hostile creatures for a short while, or some sort of fish that resembles a puffer fish could periodically give you oxygen. Heck, even fish that filter water or grow edible parts (limbs that grow back, some type of milk, it grows fruit etc.) could be implemented to make survival a little easier.

Genetic manipulation could serve as a means for creating them (i.e. the cute fish is made through sea emperor and crasher DNA etc.).

Essentially, I think pets should serve a purpose, rather than being completely aesthetic. In saying that, if the cute fish had a purpose as a pet, what would it do?

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    jjust19 wrote: »
    In saying that, if the cute fish had a purpose as a pet, what would it do?

It would be cute.

I dunno, other than morale purposes... You said that it could be made with Crasher DNA. Maybe Crashers won't attack as often because they think that, if that one's okay with you, then there must be some reason to not attack. Until you steal their crash meal, in which case they just blow up in your face anyways.
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    how would the pet follow you in the seamoth and cyclops
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    how would the pet follow you in the seamoth and cyclops

They could sit on your lap. :3
    but if its a fish it would suffocate
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members

But, but... gene manipulation... and, and lungs...
    How the fudge would gene manipulation give them lungs
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Spongebob technology would solve this :tongue:

However I do hope you realize that if too many cute things come together, it will trigger a cuteness cascade...
    im just afraid i will grow fond of my pet then it will get eaten by a stalker
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    jjust19 wrote: »
    I like the idea of pets in Subnautica and thought they could serve a purpose in the game.

For instance, an alternate version of a mesmer could stun hostile creatures for a short while, or some sort of fish that resembles a puffer fish could periodically give you oxygen. Heck, even fish that filter water or grow edible parts (limbs that grow back, some type of milk, it grows fruit etc.) could be implemented to make survival a little easier.

Genetic manipulation could serve as a means for creating them (i.e. the cute fish is made through sea emperor and crasher DNA etc.).

Essentially, I think pets should serve a purpose, rather than being completely aesthetic. In saying that, if the cute fish had a purpose as a pet, what would it do?

I still think an alien version of a seal, sea lion, walrus or turtle would be better suited as a pet as they could help catch food and dig resources.

I still think an alien version of a seal, sea lion, walrus or turtle would be better suited as a pet as they could help catch food and dig resources.

I like that. Plus, this guy:
    8926-Baby-Seal.jpg
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Well, real fish do not have lungs, so they cannot vocalize at all.

Yet almost every predator roars, Peepers can click and squeal, Crashes bitch and complain.

Also I can hold a Peep in my hand and walk around my base just fine, and toss him out into the MoonPool and he'll nope the hell out of there.
  • BlackxRoseBlackxRose Houston Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207827Members
    Hey I think it would be a fun idea, implement the genes ability, we should also have a few not overly amount of land animals on the islands because its too easy to be on the island and safe from everything

Yet almost every predator roars, Peepers can click and squeal, Crashes bitch and complain.

Also I can hold a Peep in my hand and walk around my base just fine, and toss him out into the MoonPool and he'll nope the hell out of there.

Yet another argument to use in case people go with the whole "But meh science!" thing.
  • Breacher64Breacher64 Reapers Stomach Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207810Members
    edited September 2015
    Breacher64 wrote: »

Well, we have lungs. Get your own genes and poof.
  • Breacher64Breacher64 Reapers Stomach Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207810Members

We have lungs. Take your own genes and poof, lungs.
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    It could be possible to have fish pets. Just add an exterior fish entry to base and cyclops so that your fish pet can enter a special indoor fishtank. Everytime you leave the base or cyclops little Nemo IV. is coming with you.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    something like pokemons :P
    Tysohal wrote: »
    It could be possible to have fish pets. Just add an exterior fish entry to base and cyclops so that your fish pet can enter a special indoor fishtank. Everytime you leave the base or cyclops little Nemo IV. is coming with you.

Like a cat-door for fish.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ... However I do hope you realize that if too many cute things come together, it will trigger a cuteness cascade...

And then even more kids will want to have this game ... until ... the devs react ... the lurking horror:

- you just dig in the sand, when suddenly a 5 meter sized eye opens right before you from beneath the sand
    - you swim through a cave, when a giant blob lowers from above sucking you into its mass
    - you peacefully drive your cyclops when a giant whirl into the black depths opens and currents pull you down
    zetachron wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ... However I do hope you realize that if too many cute things come together, it will trigger a cuteness cascade...

And then even more kids will want to have this game ... until ... the devs react ... the lurking horror:

- you just dig in the sand, when suddenly a 5 meter sized eye opens right before you from beneath the sand
    - you swim through a cave, when a giant blob lowers from above sucking you into its mass
    - you peacefully drive your cyclops when a giant whirl into the black depths opens and currents pull you down

What you're not taking into account is that most kids these days don't care. They're already desensitized to that kind of thing. Heck, my brother is 10, and if anything he'd think that made the game cooler.