My most controversial idea yet: The End.

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
edited October 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Qualifier, I'll be telling you what this says in a few days:
W'a kfwhwbu hvwg bck, hc sldzowb hvoh hvwg wg asobh hc ps o gcqwoz sldsfwasbh. Og aobm dscdzs kvc vsof ct o "gcqwoz sldsfwasbh" bohifozzm pszwsjs wh'g o zws tcf hvs dsfgcb hc qcjsf hvswf ckb fsof sbr... W'a dihhwbu wh rckb bck, PSTCFS obmhvwbu szgs wg gowr. W'zz ps wbtcfawbu dscdzs ct hvs tcifhssb-gzch Qosgof qwdvsf othsf o gvcfh kvwzs. W'a xigh zccywbu tcf vck dscdzs kwzz fsoqh.

Anyway, that aside, I had an idea. I'm fully aware that this is possibly the number-one most controversial thing I've ever typed (which is saying a lot), but here it goes anyway:

There is no escape.

After the full storyline plays out, the player should be informed of devastating news, that it will take a rescue shuttle over three centuries to reach him/her.

After realizing that they won't be rescued, and that continuing to build more would be pointless in the grand scheme of things (any SeaBases or whatever you leave as a legacy would have been destroyed by oxidation, earthquakes, storms, or just the local wildlife), your objective updates to a final quest, to go back to the Aurora. After this happens, an end cinematic shows the player's character simply standing on the command deck for a few seconds. He/she then walks over to the control console, and sits down in the chair. Then, the player types the words, "Mission failed" into the console, then walks over to the window and sits down. The cinematic accelerates time, showing the player character aging over time, with every scene being sitting in the same chair, looking out the window. The view slowly zooms out, and the screen fades to black.

Comments

• Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    Dramatic ending love it
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    @chris1217... Honestly wasn't expecting anyone to agree with this.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    The_Shark wrote: »

Why is one of the possible ending.
    + i never agree i just say that i love dramatic ending ;)
    edit: and why not multiple ending : a bad one (yours for ex.)
    a neutral one (you meet other survivor and live on the planet happy and married until your die)
    a good one (you ar rescu by a spaceship and find out ther is other survivor frome the crash and as being rescu to)
    Chris1217 wrote: »

Why is one of the possible ending.
    + i never agree i just say that i love dramatic ending ;)
    edit: and why not multiple ending : a bad one (yours for ex.)
    a neutral one (you meet other survivor and live on the planet happy and married until your die)
    a good one (you ar rescu by a spaceship and find out ther is other survivor frome the crash and as being rescu to)

I like that idea...

But, for that to happen, there'd need to be several choices that influence which ending occurs. Maybe a total of three choices. Two "good" choices gets you the neutral ending, all three gets you the good ending. One or less will land you the bad ending, so you need to make sure that your decisions are selfless and kind-hearted and all that stuff.
    edited October 2015
    I like that idea...

But, for that to happen, there'd need to be several choices that influence which ending occurs. Maybe a total of three choices. Two "good" choices gets you the neutral ending, all three gets you the good ending. One or less will land you the bad ending, so you need to make sure that your decisions are selfless and kind-hearted and all that stuff.

not necessarily "choices" but maybe have to find secret tech hide in the game : a middle range transmitter to find other survivor and a long range to call Earth,
    like that you can have an other end : dont find them and you die alone, find only the middle range and you find other survivor, find only the long range and you go home but without the other. find both and every one go home.
    edit: and another one find both and decide to stay with few volunteer on the planet as the first colon.
    Chris1217 wrote: »

not necessarily "choices" but maybe have to find secret tech hide in the game : a middle range transmitter to find other survivor and a long range to call Earth,
    like that you can have an other end : dont find them and you die alone, find only the middle range and you find other survivor, find only the long range and you go home but without the other. find both and every one go home.

...That sounds perfect.

It would allow the multiple endings to exist, yet at the same time, keep in the feel of the game.
  • SuperElementSuperElement Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186008Members
    I would personally rather the story went down the route of being more about digging into the mystery behind the Aurora's fall, the source of the energy pulse that hit it and a startling revelation about what did it and why.
    I would personally rather the story went down the route of being more about digging into the mystery behind the Aurora's fall, the source of the energy pulse that hit it and a startling revelation about what did it and why.

I'm not saying I disagree.

I'm saying that the ending shouldn't be "Oh, so I found out what killed my ship. Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life doing absolutely nothing."

There should be an actual conclusion.
  • tettignotettigno Hungary Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208733Members
    We need the storyline first, to actually decide on it. I think it "no escape" could be an ending, among other ones, like some said it before. The total hopelessness would make this game a once only try. I mean. Why even survive, if we surely know there is no hope for us there? In reality, I would try to survive, but in a game, which turns out to be a dead end after a playthrough,......nay. (for me at least)
    edited October 2015
    tettigno wrote: »
    We need the storyline first, to actually decide on it. I think it "no escape" could be an ending, among other ones, like some said it before. The total hopelessness would make this game a once only try. I mean. Why even survive, if we surely know there is no hope for us there? In reality, I would try to survive, but in a game, which turns out to be a dead end after a playthrough,......nay. (for me at least)

Thats why i propose multi ending + i give a replay interest for the game for exemple Mass effect have four possible choice at the end but your actions during the trilogy change the epilogue. Star Ocean (2?) offer 50 differant end depending on which NPC you take with you on your journey, Deadrising 2 ending change depending if you find all the medicin for your daughter and the bad guy, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol and many other game have multi ending depending on your action or choise.
  • Radon088Radon088 USA Join Date: 2015-10-31 Member: 208871Members
    I like a lot of these ideas. But how about a simpler ending? Multiple endings are great when they make sense but I don't really think they do in this case. This is a sandbox game so your ending needs to be something hard enough to give you a feeling of satisfaction. People in this game sometimes build huge bases so its gotta be harder than that. So hows this for a suggestion; Interspersed within the story of discovering the cause of the crash of the Aurora is the need to find several components needed to build a communications satellite and launcher. The launcher would be a large building that you would spend a long time constructing that would eat power like crazy. Maybe a phase system? Phase 1, Phase 2 ect. Then once the launcher and satellite are finished and launched the game ends with your character looking up at the trail left by the rocket. Nice, Simply, Open ended. What happens to the diver after that? It would be up to your personal preference.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    edited October 2015
    I have an even darker idea:
    Once the corporation that sent Aurora finds out that the planet is not suitable for colonisation (because whatever destroyed aurora turns out to be too dangerous to make it profitable) and possibly when they find out the only survivor is not an engineer, they send a virus that wipes the communication software and leave you to die, because saving you would be too expensive.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    Or for the darkest idea yet they just vaporize the planet.
    paradine wrote: »
    Or for the darkest idea yet they just vaporize the planet.

That is the "Bad ending" times forty.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    I think the the biggest answer of the biggest mystery should be in great depths.
  • RustyRangeRustyRange Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207955Members
    Qualifier, I'll be telling you what this says in a few days:
    W'a kfwhwbu hvwg bck, hc sldzowb hvoh hvwg wg asobh hc ps o gcqwoz sldsfwasbh. Og aobm dscdzs kvc vsof ct o "gcqwoz sldsfwasbh" bohifozzm pszwsjs wh'g o zws tcf hvs dsfgcb hc qcjsf hvswf ckb fsof sbr... W'a dihhwbu wh rckb bck, PSTCFS obmhvwbu szgs wg gowr. W'zz ps wbtcfawbu dscdzs ct hvs tcifhssb-gzch Qosgof qwdvsf othsf o gvcfh kvwzs. W'a xigh zccywbu tcf vck dscdzs kwzz fsoqh.

Anyway, that aside, I had an idea. I'm fully aware that this is possibly the number-one most controversial thing I've ever typed (which is saying a lot), but here it goes anyway:

There is no escape.

After the full storyline plays out, the player should be informed of devastating news, that it will take a rescue shuttle over three centuries to reach him/her.

After realizing that they won't be rescued, and that continuing to build more would be pointless in the grand scheme of things (any SeaBases or whatever you leave as a legacy would have been destroyed by oxidation, earthquakes, storms, or just the local wildlife), your objective updates to a final quest, to go back to the Aurora. After this happens, an end cinematic shows the player's character simply standing on the command deck for a few seconds. He/she then walks over to the control console, and sits down in the chair. Then, the player types the words, "Mission failed" into the console, then walks over to the window and sits down. The cinematic accelerates time, showing the player character aging over time, with every scene being sitting in the same chair, looking out the window. The view slowly zooms out, and the screen fades to black.

Maybe include when they are aging and looking out the Window, it will show the World slowly dying and Life Getting Destroyed? And if this is the Case for the Ending in Subnautica they should have a Second Game based when the Rescuers come and Find the Aurora Under water and the Remains of the Player? Also maybe having the Rescuers to Deal with The Planet and its Life, and find out what that "Thing" That took out the Aurora Was.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    RustyRange wrote: »
    Maybe include when they are aging and looking out the Window, it will show the World slowly dying and Life Getting Destroyed?

I like that idea...
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    edited November 2015
    Personally, if it's supposed to be an open world survival game, why would I want to achieve an ending that effectively destroys the world and thus the progress I have made?

It needs to be open ended, such that when you finish the "storyline" your world continues and you are given the feeling you need to continue Terra forming the planet, which agreeable is the ultimate goal of your expedition.

There are a number of things to consider, like why you are being sent on a terraforming mission for colonisation preparations if the next available craft is 300 years away.

Does sound cool and dramatic though.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    NO FREAKING ENDING!!! LIKE MINECRAFT

NO FREAKING ENDING
    Also the BBC code does not allow you to change font size.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    NO FREAKING ENDING!!! LIKE MINECRAFT

NO FREAKING ENDING

Minecraft does have an ending, the Ender dragon.

The difference is that afterwards you can go back to surviving, without resetting the over-world.
  • WolfiyWolfiy Join Date: 2015-11-04 Member: 208974Members
    Better idea for an ending, in my opinion:

After exploring the Aroura, you realize the communications array is only slightly damaged. With it servicable, you must locate and fabricate spare parts to fix the communications array.

After this, you will be able to send a distress signal, once it has been responded to (dynamic timer for this, timer is not displayed.) you get a timer of two (ingame) months for a ship to arrive and attempt rescue or even colonisation.

During the two months, you will gain the opportunity to download blueprints, including one for a colonisation centre. By constructing this building, you will gain access to a colonisation mode, wherein you move on from simply surviving to leading a scientific exploration of the rest of the planet.

Conversely, being rescued means you get a cutscene of your character debriefing with the ship's captain, and eventually he/she returns home to see thier family. You then are given a second chance to return to the planet to lead a scientific exploration of the planet!

Like Minecraft's ending, but more sci-fi and fun!
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
  • LeftyPowerLeftyPower MA, USA Join Date: 2015-11-09 Member: 209118Members
    edited November 2015
    So I decoded the first bit. I Would post it here but I am in agreement with the OP about how this should play out, even if I disagree on what a 'short time' means. OP, next time don't use contractions.

Also, I vote No-End, or some kind of open ended ending, the likes of which I prefer not to think about, but leave to the devs.
    LeftyPower wrote: »
    So I decoded the first bit. I Would post it here but I am in agreement with the OP about how this should play out, even if I disagree on what a 'short time' means. OP, next time don't use contractions.

I'd completely forgotten that I'd put that there, which is why I didn't put in the change.

As @LeftyPower discovered, it's a 14-slot Caesar cipher, reading: "I'm writing this now, to explain that this is meant to be a social experiment. As many people who hear of a "social experiment" naturally believe it's a lie for the person to cover their own rear end... I'm putting it down now, BEFORE anything else is said. I'll be informing people of the fourteen-slot Caesar cipher after a short while. I'm just looking for how people will react."
    LeftyPower wrote: »
    Also, I vote No-End, or some kind of open ended ending, the likes of which I prefer not to think about, but leave to the devs.

Agreed, somewhat. No end, as in the same way Minecraft has it, maybe. There is an "end" per se, but the game continues even after you reach it.
  • xerxysxerxys Berlin, DE Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202471Members
    Why are many of the ideas for endings centred on the idea of either failure, or destroying the planet simply because it isn't doing what you want?

The seed idea of whatever took down the Aurora is there, so we know that intelligence will play a part, but for the Survivor's personal journey, that of one man, some of these endings are brutal and directly contradict many of the things the developers want to bring as themes: that of conservation and sustainable living. How about this for an idea:

The Aurora was brought down and the Survivor slowly ekes out a living, gradually making his presence in the ocean felt until coming face to face with whatever being was instrumental in his fate. I'll call the creature Gaia, after the Greek myth of the personification of earth. Acting as a symbiont protector, connected to all the flora in the game, the planet itself is what repelled the Aurora, after finally figuring out its intent as it entered the atmosphere (Gaia had been trying to decipher our language for a long time, finally managing it at the last minute, realising that 'terraforming' was a fancy way of saying 'wiping out the entire planet so other creatures can exploit it'), which is why Gaia can already communicate with the Survivor. Gaia tells the Survivor that as a last resort, the planet threw up a huge, twisted form of its flora and fauna combined that was able to overwhelm the Aurora, with the ship crashing into the thing and destroying it.

Realising that alone, he poses little threat, Gaia does not want to harm him. Instead, Gaia appeals to the Survivor, as Gaia knows that a second terraforming ship is on its way, and so the player is faced with a choice: help or hinder the progress of humankind for the sake of a massive, alien intelligence that the Survivor knows would have little chance of receiving understanding and compassion by his fellow men.

The game then goes in two distinct directions, depending on your choice. If you try to help Gaia defend itself from further attempts to terraform the planet, then you can begin to combine your technology with the flora and fauna of the planet to equip itself with lines of defence (essentially going rogue against waves of your own species to defend the fate of the entire planet which is now your home), able to build vast structures, that blend the features of the Aurora's technology with known plants and animals.

Or, you can try to assist your fellow men and watch as the entire planet turns against you, a form of ultra-hard-mode that sees you battling to survive as you attempt to counteract Gaia's attempts to pull the new ship to the same fate as the Aurora. Your first step is to journey back to the crash site and find out exactly what brought the Aurora down, so you can find a way to stop it.

This would give a definite 'end' to the open-world game, but does follow a narrative logic that the developer's obviously already have in mind...
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    edited November 2015
    xerxys wrote: »
    Why are many of the ideas for endings centered on the idea of either failure, or destroying the planet simply because it isn't doing what you want?

The seed idea of whatever took down the Aurora is there, so we know that intelligence will play a part, but for the Survivor's personal journey, that of one man, some of these endings are brutal and directly contradict many of the things the developers want to bring as themes: that of conservation and sustainable living. How about this for an idea:

The Aurora was brought down and the Survivor slowly ekes out a living, gradually making his presence in the ocean felt until coming face to face with whatever being was instrumental in his fate. I'll call the creature Gaia, after the Greek myth of the personification of earth. Acting as a symbiotic protector, connected to all the flora in the game, the planet itself is what repelled the Aurora, after finally figuring out its intent as it entered the atmosphere (Gaia had been trying to decipher our language for a long time, finally managing it at the last minute, realizing that 'terraforming' was a fancy way of saying 'wiping out the entire planet so other creatures can exploit it'), which is why Gaia can already communicate with the Survivor. Gaia tells the Survivor that as a last resort, the planet threw up a huge, twisted form of its flora and fauna combined that was able to overwhelm the Aurora, with the ship crashing into the thing and destroying it.

Realizing that alone, he poses little threat, Gaia does not want to harm him. Instead, Gaia appeals to the Survivor, as Gaia knows that a second terraforming ship is on its way, and so the player is faced with a choice: help or hinder the progress of humankind for the sake of a massive, alien intelligence that the Survivor knows would have little chance of receiving understanding and compassion by his fellow men.

The game then goes in two distinct directions, depending on your choice. If you try to help Gaia defend itself from further attempts to terraform the planet, then you can begin to combine your technology with the flora and fauna of the planet to equip itself with lines of defense (essentially going rogue against waves of your own species to defend the fate of the entire planet which is now your home), able to build vast structures, that blend the features of the Aurora's technology with known plants and animals.

Or, you can try to assist your fellow men and watch as the entire planet turns against you, a form of ultra-hard-mode that sees you battling to survive as you attempt to counteract Gaia's attempts to pull the new ship to the same fate as the Aurora. Your first step is to journey back to the crash site and find out exactly what brought the Aurora down, so you can find a way to stop it.

This would give a definite 'end' to the open-world game, but does follow a narrative logic that the developer's obviously already have in mind...

Sounds like an interesting Mass Effect Paragon/Renegade choice option, and Gaia also sounds a lot like the ME leviathans.

I LOVE IT!!!

But one thing. Needs a different name. We're talking about the sea. Perhaps Mother Abyss?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Well the shark this may be the first idea you've have that i've aggred to.....