Where have you built your bases?

watergirl16watergirl16 usa Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213886Members
Sorry for the noobie question, but I am really torn on where I should build a permanent place. Am I thinking too much into it? Do you go by scenery,safety, or closest to resoures? Should I stay near the Aurura or go to the other side of the map? Stick to the center of the map to have access to everything?

What was your strategy? Any input is greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend!

Comments

• KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    The deep grand reef has no hostiles. As for resources, I seem to find most of them in the underwater islands.
    Titanium is derived from metal salvage.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Sorry for the noobie question, but I am really torn on where I should build a permanent place. Am I thinking too much into it? Do you go by scenery,safety, or closest to resoures? Should I stay near the Aurura or go to the other side of the map? Stick to the center of the map to have access to everything?

What was your strategy? Any input is greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend!

I made my first perm base at the edge of the grand reef roughly where the grand reef, kelp forest, sparse reef meet up. I put my base down right next to some black smokers that are just under 200m down so unmodified seamoths and cyclops could get there. Thermal generators near the smokers are amazing for power generation. I have 4 and even with a water purifier and tons of crafting I cant ever seem to dent my power availability. Also, as Kerbal said, no hostiles. That is key to me, at least for your first main base.

Once you setup your base and get your basics all covered with food and water and such, you wil more then likely set up multiple satellite bases anyway. In my stable game I have 4 now. Main in grand reef whee I said, another at the edge of kelp forest and gassy plateaus to the northish. Another in Koosh near an eruption site for more thermal, and one in underwater islands I just started that isnt anything more then 2 rooms at the moment.

You should probably set up a temporary starter base right near your lifepod when you start a new game only so you have a place to work from until you get other stuff built to let you travel easier. I always throw down 2 rooms under it or so just to work out of until I get solar panels and what not and dont need the pod anymore.

• JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    I have my main base in the safe shallows (as its mostly above water).
    I have a base in the Great Reef
    2 near Wrecks
    1 on the floating islands
    1 on the Volcanic island
    and 1 in the Jellyshroom cave.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    watergirl16 how much ram do you have I have ? Oh and that's not a base more like watergirl City

Edit sorry I think I posted to the wrong page. that's what I get for playing for hours on end and reading forums. My bad I should get more sleep and less play time.
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    I usually have a base near the escape pod (free beacon) for central location. I usually do it on an edge adjoining grassy plateaus for ease of submarine approach. Moon pool, food supply, workshop, and a ton of lockers.

I'm sad about the water changes - I previously liked having an expansive luxury base in the grand reef for the views, but now the water is too dark and hazy to see very much. :(
  • watergirl16watergirl16 usa Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213886Members
    For those who have satellite bases, what do you use them for? Do you have issues with your resources being spread too thin?
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Usually, I build my first base near the Shallows. See, once I have a builder and a seamoth, I head west, away from the Aurora. Past the kelp forest and over some grassy plains, there's another patch of safe shallows. I find a sweet spot on a plateau about 40 meters down, with the base's back to the shallows.

It's shallow enough to get plenty of sunlight for power, it's close to three biomes for harvesting resources, and it's pretty equally distant from most of the other biomes.

Plus, in my experience, the main entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves isn't very far away from it, so you can pop on down there for rarer resources.

Before the farming update reset, I had a spare base in the Grand Reef, more of an outpost than anything. Got some of its power from thermal, and some from a solar array with a couple power relays beaming it down to the base. It took a bit of gathering, but if you go into the dunes you'll find a LOT of scrap, and you'll find tons of it closer to the Aurora.

(If you go for either of those, make sure your Seamoth has an electric defense. There Be Reapers in the western dunes and near the Aurora)
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Usually, I build my first base near the Shallows. See, once I have a builder and a seamoth, I head west, away from the Aurora. Past the kelp forest and over some grassy plains, there's another patch of safe shallows. I find a sweet spot on a plateau about 40 meters down, with the base's back to the shallows.

It's shallow enough to get plenty of sunlight for power, it's close to three biomes for harvesting resources, and it's pretty equally distant from most of the other biomes.

Plus, in my experience, the main entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves isn't very far away from it, so you can pop on down there for rarer resources.

Before the farming update reset, I had a spare base in the Grand Reef, more of an outpost than anything. Got some of its power from thermal, and some from a solar array with a couple power relays beaming it down to the base. It took a bit of gathering, but if you go into the dunes you'll find a LOT of scrap, and you'll find tons of it closer to the Aurora.

(If you go for either of those, make sure your Seamoth has an electric defense. There Be Reapers in the western dunes and near the Aurora)

I use mine for emergency food/water/power/air. Also each one has some batteries and powercells among other things.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I find myself building a small starter base near the life pod area, close to deeper waters.

After I find and can build the seamoth ill make outposts stocked with just food and water and enough power to cook, just one or two solar panel's. Most play through I make them near the 2 islands, lately I have been going deeper near resource area and putting up an outpost.

With the extra storage on the seamoth I can carry enough titanium, glass, and quartz to make one room, one foundation for the panels, the hatch of course, the fabricator and one locker and maybe a window if I have the extra glass. I make regular trips to stock them with the mats to make water ( salt and coral).

Having all 4 of the up grade slots on the seamoth with storage opens up a new dimension of playing.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I built mine on the edge of the red stuff and the green plant things, near a huge hole in the ground leading into the mushroom kingdom
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    I always build my first base in the creepvine forest. It's is so lovely at night, it's also located near most of the recourses you need the most at startup. Copper, titanium, silver, quartz, and creeepvine.

I also like the mushroom forest. You can build your base on the coral stalks and wrap it around the mushrooms any way you like.

I don't think there is a single best place. It's where you like, that's the best place.
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members
    edited March 2016
    Personaly i've only one base, located just between the shallows, the kelp forest and the grassy plateus.
    If i head up to the Aurora there is the shroom forest (bow side of the Aurora).

I've discovered later the place i've choose for the permanent base is just between 3 biomes, and better, if you are close to the bow of the aurora (not to close, beware of radiations son !) you find yourself on the center of the currently available map !! Traveling to the other side of the map and be back at home with 20% energy on my seamoth :D

This base run on 4 solar panels and 2 bioreactors. Water facility, many aquariums, farming observatories and now I think to build the glorious Cyclop instead of getting the courage and patience to rebuild this base properly

Some people talk about doing a base near the espace pod, well, after 14h ingame my escape pod is now far far FAR away. Don't refer about the escape pod ! After hours of game it will be on the location of mountains/shroom forest

PS : If, like me, you don't find any thermal reactor fragment or nuclear reactor fragment don't panic, a bunch of solar panels and a couple of bioreactors (easy to find & scan) and your base can now support a full recharge on the Moonpool + a water facility.

-Make sure to have kelp near your bio alimented base and locate rapidly a shroom forest to harvest the precious shroom hat.

-Also make sure to start the second bioreactor when the first come to 50% energy.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    I always go over the edge of the world and dive down until I cant see then build my base there. I wish there was an area that dark actually ON the map. Then I would build there.
    I always go over the edge of the world and dive down until I cant see then build my base there. I wish there was an area that dark actually ON the map. Then I would build there.

Your in luck, the Inactive Lava zone is pitch black lol
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members

I've eared about a lava castle. How do you do to build at these depths ? Many reinforcements i suppose.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Bobythebee wrote: »

I've eared about a lava castle. How do you do to build at these depths ? Many reinforcements i suppose.

If you want to find the lava castle, I started a thread detailing how to get there.

Building at depth isn't really very hard. You do need more reinforcements than you do near the surface, but probably not as much as you think.
  • j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    i do a base in the safe shallows to start with, then a mega base somewhere deeper - currently building a deep grand reef base.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I have built near the base of the mountains, with solar panels on a ledge halfway up the large mountain (above the water) and power transmitters taking power under the water to my base. :)
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    My first base is always in the safe shallows, near-ish my lifepod. I typically try to get it overlooking or near a kelp forest because I like the view. This one usually has two double or triple stacked aquariums and enough storage to hold mountains of stuff. Once that is set up I add an observatory and a personal room that I will one day actually be able to call a bedroom.

My second base is usually in the grand reef, overlooking the glowy blue things. This one is typically smaller than my first one, but it has enough storage for my longer scavenging trips in the grand reef and a double stacked aquarium so I don't have to worry about food and water.

At some point I want to build a base either in the mushroom forest or the koosh zone. Maybe both. I like being able to have interesting things to look at when I put windows in. :3

And one day, one day in the future, I will build a mega base in Reaper territory. Just so I can flip them the bird every time they swim by. XD
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    In my latest save I did the unusual and built 2 bases. One was my starter base over in the safe shallows, the other is deep in the Grand Reef next to a bunch of Smokers, it's a nice quiet area where I can watch the seas go by and research my plants and animals
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    And one day, one day in the future, I will build a mega base in Reaper territory. Just so I can flip them the bird every time they swim by. XD

In april's update (conveniently named Creature's Attack) we will see our bases assaulted by sea monsters, so if you do that be prepared for war! altho that perspective makes it very tempting to actually build a base near a reaper just to be able to witness the destruction! :)

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I tend to build my first base right on the edge of the Kelp Forest. Then I build a Seamoth and a Cyclops, then collect a bunch of resources. I then proceed to deconstruct the entire base, store it in my Cyclops, and haul it somewhere else to be rebuilt bigger and better. My favorite two places for the main, permanent base so far have been near a thermal vent in the Grand Reef, and on top of Floater Isle.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    When the Creatures Attack update happens, how will we fight them off? We could use a small turret that fires Stasis rounds at them, or Repulsion cannon turrets maybe
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited March 2016
    When the Creatures Attack update happens, how will we fight them off? We could use a small turret that fires Stasis rounds at them, or Repulsion cannon turrets maybe

I like the idea of some sort of a high frequency sonic emitter that causes discomfort to certain creatures and wards them off, like an area denial defence.
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    I always build in the kelp forest near the geyser closest to the Aurora. I am a bit close to the radiation, it's not hard to avoid.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I always build my base on one of the islands. I set up the living area part on dry land to enjoy the lovely sunsets and eclipses (having lots of food within reach helps as well), and have it directly connected via ladders with the underwater part and the moonpool.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

What I wonder more is how they will be attacking the bases. I would hate to see biters tearing through titanium hulls meant to withstand pressure at hundreds of meters.
  • OrkaOrka Join Date: 2007-06-07 Member: 61157Members
    On the edge of Grassy Plateaus, Shallows and Kelp, near spawn. It's just above some Jelly shroom caves. I made the made the Moonpool at the exit of one of those large shell-tunnels in the Shallows, so you have to enter a small crevice, maneuver a cave, then the tunnel and then you end up in the Moonpool. There is another cave that leads to an other exit. All lockers, plants and Water Purifiers are up there and then a huge aquarium facility down in the Jelly Shroom Caves.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    In safe shallows, next to some lava vents.
    In anticiation for patches where cold = more food / body energy needed and ofc to use them for power.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    so far I've always built my main base on that extension of the safe shallows, that's got a thermal vent....
    near to the suface for lots of solar power, able to get 3x thermal reactors in the vent without any destruction needed, then do a bit of landscaping and fit all the thermal reactors you want in and boom :D