AUTOSAVING!!!

2»

Comments

• KurgenKurgen Planet Earth Join Date: 2016-04-23 Member: 216051Members
    @Kurgen What exactly do you mean?

I thought it was obvious... :) An autosave slot, separate from your normal save slot, so that if either save gets corrupted, or you end up in a jam in one save that you can't get out of, you have the other to fall back on.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Most games do do that. You go into the save menu, and you have your manual save, whatever you have named it, and then a save simply called "autosave" with a time stamp. I don't see how doing things like that would be a problem, since manual saves would be exactly the same, but you would be less likely to suddenly lost all of your progress to one of the random crashes that is inevitable in alphas.
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    bwc153 wrote: »
    omegataur wrote: »
    lot of people want autosave, lot of people dont want autosave...

then for make happy everybody, why no add an option to set it? Autosave: Yes / No
    and that's all...

my game has a lot of crashes since last update, i'd really appreciate to have this function for not losing that much of progress by crashing...

Options are the bane of game development, as if you "add an option for it" on everything, you end up making the same game twice, if not more, over.

and in case you want a feature like this... how you will do it?

imagine you have a PC with the power of a toaster and the game is crashing every hour and you are sick of losing that hardly progress you made... thats the reality of a bunch of people here haha

seriously... i prefer an auto-save feature that only works at entrance of base or... else
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Kurgen Ah, I see. Wouldn't that take up a lot of memory space?
  • KurgenKurgen Planet Earth Join Date: 2016-04-23 Member: 216051Members
    @Kurgen Ah, I see. Wouldn't that take up a lot of memory space?

Not usually, but having looked at the local files in my Steam folder, it looks like the Subnautica saves are around 3000 files @ 1.2GB in total. This is quite large & messy for just a save game, but maybe they'll be optimised into an archive somehow before full release. Even so, I'd rather the game used another gig or so in an autosave to give me some kind of fall-back.
  • AncoliusAncolius Nederland Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201148Members
    edited May 2016
    You could just set an alarm to go off every ten minutes on your phone for example when it goes off click save or click save every time you enter your base to see if you want it.
    In my opinion autosave is one of the worst things you can do for a game like this.

Autosaves always happen at the worst time like just before dying, imagine an autosave doing that after 8 hours of gameplay and you forgot to save or even worse having the game crash during saving.

If you have it save when entering a base you still mis all te resources you collected and things you build till you enterd you base/ cyclops, most of us spend quite some time in the water instead of in bases.
    Not the mention the creature attack bases update is going to be a blast.

If you would ask for a quick save/ load button I would agree though it also would ruin some of the survival part of the game.
  • dziubo1dziubo1 Poland Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212502Members
    I think autosave would be great feature. For easy mode, autosave should be in separate slot, for support way of user save. In hard mode, autosave should be only option available, as that makes game bit harder.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Ancolius wrote: »
    You could just set an alarm to go off every ten minutes on your phone for example when it goes off click save or click save every time you enter your base to see if you want it.

Or you could save when you suffer a massive lag spike that threatens to crash the game.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    I would certainly welcome an autosave in regular time intervals, especially if it is as an option that I can turn off when not needed.