Sea Treader tips?

DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
I've been to the path about five times now and even with a range of searching (I use the wreck as orientation point) I cannot find the sea treaders. I don't want to use console. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to find them?

As a minor aside, I found the second model chair in the Koosh Zone wreck but was not able to scan it. I've had trouble getting to scan things after the Power Nap update, so what I want to know is if it is unscannable atm or if my save file just dislikes me.

Comments

• kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Safe Shallows Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218013Members
    Beds it's a known issue that upgraded games they aren't scannable. And so far in my from-scratch Power Nap game, there's only one scannable bed variant. The wall shelves also are available in creative mode but not scannable anywhere I've seen them in survival. :(

As for the sea treaders, I have yet to visit their path and NOT see them since Power Nap. Grant that this is a Power Nap fresh start, so there again might be some upgraded savegame glitching, I dunno.

That said, for a very long time (like, until this week) I thought I knew what the sea treaders' path was and how to find it. I was very wrong and realized this when I stumbled across the real thing. Easiest way I know to find it in spoiler; disregard if you want to find it yourself... or if you already know you have the real thing. Here for the benefit of those who want it! Hope someone finds it helpful.
    Head to the Grand Reef and descend to a depth of 320-350 meters if your vehicle can handle it, follow the cliff wall westward. I found it in a seamoth that could only descend to 300m but I never would have spotted it if I hadn't actually seen and heard the treaders. I dove deeper without the seamoth and realized the terrain they were walking on was NOT the texture I thought was the sea treader path elsewhere.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    Hmm, then you are not at the right location. This happened to me as well, I thought the path was the one directly leading from the grassy plateaus down to the Grand Reef, but it is further northwest. Basically from the Sparse Reef you go down until you hit the reef and there will be a kind of wide gorge, this is where they are.

Maybe you were at the right location, but they bugged out on you, did you upgrade your savegame? It seems that there is an issue with scans and upgrading saves. There might be one as well with spawned creatures.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Apologies, I should have been clear I am working with a brand new save file so upgrade glitches should not be a problem. But I do might have been looking (and listening) in the wrong area. The Grand Reef path is one I tried to find but failed to as I didn't know where to look, so with the instructions I can give it another try. Will report later. Thanksies to the both of you!

I found wall shelves in the western wreck in the Grand Reef and I managed to scan them. Have you looked there yet? But as I said, I've been having some pretty big scan issues in my current save file so I wouldn't be surprised if things are randomly bugged.
    Found them in the Grand Reef! The instructions worked, but even so they weren't an easy find. By following the instructions and having some idea I was looking for a plain, I found "something" (after two structurally similar levels that I disregarded for being about the size of a bathtub) and followed the plain southwards. Eventually, I found four sea treaders at what I think is one of their stops.

Very happy to have seen these creatures myself finally. They're beautiful and I got two pieces of manure. Not exactly small stuff, which is good to know if it ever becomes essential to farming and I need to gather some. Was a bit disappointed the basalt only contained lithium and copper (my kingdom for silver!), but it's a good step towards renewable resources.

As for the minor aside, I went back to the Koosh Zone wreck to see if the chair was now scannable. It wasn't, but I could scan the lightstick next to it despite that I've already scanned a lightstick play-hours prior. Scanning stayed at 0% for that reason. I'm going to guess the update is just a bit buggy.
  • thanatos73thanatos73 US Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216180Members
    I have started building Scanner room mini bases in some of the Biomes, as they can scan for some of the larger creatures, and eggs.
    thanatos73 wrote: »
    I have started building Scanner room mini bases in some of the Biomes, as they can scan for some of the larger creatures, and eggs.

I considered building a base for stakeout, but because I didn't/don't know where they are supposed to roam I was afraid I'd build in their path. Depending on the eventual value of manure, I do plan to set up base there at least one save file.
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Safe Shallows Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218013Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Found them in the Grand Reef! The instructions worked, but even so they weren't an easy find. By following the instructions and having some idea I was looking for a plain, I found "something" (after two structurally similar levels that I disregarded for being about the size of a bathtub) and followed the plain southwards. Eventually, I found four sea treaders at what I think is one of their stops.

Very happy to have seen these creatures myself finally. They're beautiful and I got two pieces of manure. Not exactly small stuff, which is good to know if it ever becomes essential to farming and I need to gather some. Was a bit disappointed the basalt only contained lithium and copper (my kingdom for silver!), but it's a good step towards renewable resources.

As for the minor aside, I went back to the Koosh Zone wreck to see if the chair was now scannable. It wasn't, but I could scan the lightstick next to it despite that I've already scanned a lightstick play-hours prior. Scanning stayed at 0% for that reason. I'm going to guess the update is just a bit buggy.

Yay you found them! Pretty sweet aren't they?

I aww'd when I found they only seemed to break up basalt, and I didn't actually check any because I've only ever found gold and the very very rare diamond in basalt... and I have WAY more gold than I'll ever need already. So they drop copper hmm? Good to know!
    thanatos73 wrote: »

Eggs and creatures too? O.O Genius!
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members