Everything respawns, latest version (or Too Many Resources)

CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
I never run out of materials. Is this supposed to be so?
I collect seaglide fragments right next to my base where (I think) I had already collected them.
Also I never bother building gardens and stuff - while there aren't peepers around when I exit the base, I just swim a little and something "kicks in" and seemingly respawns them in the area.
As of now it is sort of Immersion breaking, makes the game much easier and a bit pointless.
The only shortage I experienced was quartz, but again, I've built PRAWN, cyclops, fully upgraded seamoth etc, and quartz is only absent in the ~100 meter radius around my base, after that it's abundant again.
I'm not sure if it's too much resources or respawning resources, well, anyway, the challenge is lost.
Anybody else experienced this?
I'm using prawn update, obviously.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I'm experiencing twice the resources (and hostile NPCs), but I'm not sure about respawning. Or at least, I'm not having more "hey, didn't I gather here before already" moments than I did updates ago.

I'm pro-respawning, though. I don't believe in the challenge of scarcity. I don't want to be forced to ruin the landscape by picking it clean (Safe Shallows lose so much without quartz; I'm okay with wreckage not respawning) or be forced to visit new biomes for resources depleted in the first ones; I want to be coaxed to visit new biomes for new resources that will unlock new aspects of gameplay.
  • CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
    edited September 2016
    I see your point, but for me the game sort of became a "clicking simulator" where I don't need to actually search for resources, I just swim a little and I know I find one. I was thinking of some gameplay mechanics that would motivate the players to (eventually) rebuild the base elsewhere, that would actually be fun (for me, at least).
  • Subspace_TopologySubspace_Topology Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222111Members
    I know how you feel about it being a clicking simulator. I have two lockers full of each resource, including food and water. Would be nice if resources are finite and I'm forced to go out further in search of more.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    Really? I'm really low on rescources, I've picked clean the Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest and really don't want to go much further for rescources (and using the Exosuit's drill arm is just too godamn boring, maybe if they reduced the drill time or something I would use it).

Also, does anyone know what you are supposed to do after exploring the lava zone? I feel like I'm hardly through the game but I don't know what to do next...
    I see your point, but for me the game sort of became a "clicking simulator" where I don't need to actually search for resources, I just swim a little and I know I find one. I was thinking of some gameplay mechanics that would motivate the players to (eventually) rebuild the base elsewhere, that would actually be fun (for me, at least).

Thing is, for me it becomes a "clicking simulator" (except for flora and coral) when stuff doesn't respawn because I start feeling like if I don't pick it up now, I might not find it again and there'll be only so many to pick up. By having stuff respawn, I don't feel the urge to hoard for the future.

Not that I find "clicking simulator" a fair word because you still have to get past the fauna, unfriendly flora, and environmental hazards to get your resources. The challenge of gathering remains. Of course, I am not talking about insta-respawns. I'm fairly certain a balance is possible that occasionally forces you out if you don't wish to sit through the time it takes for resources to respawn.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    Hmm, till the last update i'm forced to explore new biomes in a search of resourses like quartz (Kelp forest runs), silver, gold, metal (numerous Crash Zone runs) for building full scale autonomous base with bio laboratory (more then 7 two stairs quariums, 6 reactors and many little things like floodlights). And there are additional runs for rare resourses like uranium, oxide aluminium and lithium.

Yes Safe Shallows designed to be in proximity of all resourses, but I think they tend to be scarce in contrast to other more dedicated biomes.

The other idea is this game is a kind of sandbox so there is no strict progression or challenge. Yes this game is friendly in compare to other survivals, but it's not bad. My last save tells about 2 full days in this world and I didnt finish my base, I need MOAR glass and batteries for gorgeous illumination.
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    Two different mindsets; my son loves respawn, easier doesn't like the challenge. He wants to upgrade and explore not so keen on survival. I like it all interconnnected; you need to explore because you're depleting local resources so upgrade, explore, gather...
    I'd like to see an option that controls respawn so I can make it my game play style. I'd set it to none and my son will set it to respawn every day.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    edited September 2016
    Nothing respawns in my game. I don't have lockers full of unused stuff either. I only gather what I need, I don't hoard. Always seemed like a waste of time you have to build a bigger base and more lockers to store it, why bother?

I know people have different playstyles but I don't think resources should be gimped because some players are hoarders and they find it to easy. The exploration is supposed to be the source of the resource gathering, not the other way around. You need to find a way off the planet and to do that you need better tech in more dangerous areas forcing you to move on, not for the sake of "well the shallows are empty so I guess I have to go somewhere else".
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I see your point and I agree with it mostly. The threat of running out of resources makes survival more prominent and you always have to plan ahead to be safe. Respawning fish makes more sense than mineral rocks randomly appearing in a coral tunnel for unknown reasons. However I prefer gradual respawning resources instead of running out and having to move a base; it's a lot of trouble to first find a new spot that's worthwhile and then having to pack up and move everything there. I guess what bothers me most about respawning is I'll scan a wreck clean of fragments, only to find more of them later on when I come back to it... What was there that broke into pieces while I was gone?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    There are so many resources available it is unlike you will ever run out. Unless you want to build one of the most ridiculous of bases. Especially with the new large resource nodes, raw materials are plentiful as never before. Just make sure you aim the arm with the circle and not the drill bit.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    FryerDevil wrote: »
    Really? I'm really low on rescources, I've picked clean the Safe Shallows and Kelp Forest and really don't want to go much further for rescources (and using the Exosuit's drill arm is just too godamn boring, maybe if they reduced the drill time or something I would use it).

Also, does anyone know what you are supposed to do after exploring the lava zone? I feel like I'm hardly through the game but I don't know what to do next...

Theres going to be a lot to do in the inactive lava zone by 1.0 and the stuff you do after reaching the inactive lave zone hasn't been added to the game yet.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Perhaps the spawn rate can be lowered a bit to push players into exploring new areas and give some challenge mid-game, but keep the respawn in so that the builder-types aren't completely hamstrung by the finite resources over the full game experience.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Seems like something that should just be an in-game setting so that players can set it to whatever they like.
  • CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for replies guys, I forgot to mention: with current respawn rate some upgrades, for example, drill arm, are pointless (for me). If resources didn't respawn, I would be jumping with joy, but now - why bother?
    Same goes for breeding fish (I think you can do that, I didn't build the hatching structure yet).
    I wouldn't bother doing it as I got hundreds of peepers around my base.
    So, for me at least, three important gameplay mechanics are broken and worhless (breeding fish, growing vegetables and drilling deposits for resources).

Some people like relaxed gameplay, I like a thrill - a game that stretches my abilities and makes me fear for my survival. Current infinite resources don't allow me that, and I feel bored - in fact I didn't run the game for two days.

So my inner diplomat says "A customizable difficulty options would be the best!" while my inner hardcore gamer tries sending telepathic messages to the devs to crank up the difficulty and create another landmark in survival gaming :))
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for replies guys, I forgot to mention: with current respawn rate some upgrades, for example, drill arm, are pointless (for me). If resources didn't respawn, I would be jumping with joy, but now - why bother?
    Same goes for breeding fish (I think you can do that to repopulate biomes, I didn't build the hatching structure yet).
    I wouldn't bother doing it as I got hundreds of peepers around my base.
    So, for me at least, three important gameplay mechanics are broken and worhless (breeding fish, growing vegetables and drilling deposits for resources).

Some people like relaxed gameplay, I like a thrill - a game that stretches my abilities and makes me fear for my survival. Current infinite resources don't allow me that, and I feel bored - in fact I didn't run the game for two days. As one of the posters above wrote, it's sort of child's mindset and adult mindset (or, as not to offend anybody - a 'casual gamer's mindset and challenge gamer's mindset).
    The devs couldn't please everybody so a customizable difficulty options would be our best bet, I suppose.

I rather think "broken and worthless" is okay. I don't make use of pipes or the guns ever (other than the propulsion cannon for Aurora blockage, which is a near no-choice) or storage modules and the nuclear reactor only interests me in one or two spots where I may not even build. They are "broken and worthless" to me, but they aren't to other people with different play styles.

I've used the drill arm to gather silver, quartz, and titanium, which as a builder I always have need for. (There's also a proposal on Trello to make one future resource (obsidian) drillable only.) Breeding fish is still a lot more easy than going out to fetch them - you talk as if you only build in the safe areas with fish aplenty. Ever built in the (Deep) Grand Reef or behind the Aurora? I rather not go out for a weak reason, so the alien containment is perfect to help me survive there. Plus, you can hatch eggs of aggressive lifeforms and then scan them safely, which I like better than using myself as bait. Plants are the same way. Plants and fish can also be used to fuel the bioreactor, so it's useful to have them in storage (I don't feed fish to the bioreactor unless they're roadkill, so plants are a must for me).

I'm not sure if it's necessarily casual vs challenge. Like, if I seek my challenge in building in the Deep Grand Reef with a strict No Kill policy (ie, no weapons on me) when I know there's crabsquids around, is that less of a challenge than what is essentially grinding?
  • RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    I hope resources respawn. Silver is near impossible to find as it is.
  • Subspace_TopologySubspace_Topology Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222111Members

I take the Cyclops out on resource runs around the map, filling up like 10+ lockers each time. If I ever get off the planet, I could start a space trading empire overthrowing Alterra Corps.
    RichieC wrote: »
    I hope resources respawn. Silver is near impossible to find as it is.

If you venture out from beyond Safe Shallows or Kelp Forest, there are a lot of silver in sandstone outcrops or large deposits. I have a locker full of silver just sitting around.

I take the Cyclops out on resource runs around the map, filling up like 10+ lockers each time. If I ever get off the planet, I could start a space trading empire overthrowing Alterra Corps.

"Remember that materials you gather are the property of the Alterra corporation. Use of these resources for survival is sanctioned, but you will be liable to reimburse the full market price. Your current bill stands at 658,000 credits."

If the planet doesn't kill you, the debt will.
    edited September 2016
    haha I edited my post since it's been a bit harsh, but you've managed to respond before that)
    You make valid points, I'd like to comment on one for now:

>Ever built in the (Deep) Grand Reef or behind the Aurora?

No, because *i don't need to*. The game doesn't give me any good (practical) reasons to build there, and I'm not a proponent of... err... whatever it's called.. I mean artificially creating situations to make game more challenging/interesting. I *can* do it, of course, but I'm not a fan.
    It reminds me of the Dragon Age DLC OP gear - I wanna play DLCs, but I don't want overpowered and balance-breaking items that come with them. Sure, I can simply dump them, but my immersion breaks because *it is not something that my character would do*.

Sorry for so many asterisks )
    Overall I think yeah... the selection of modes on starting the game should be expanded, to include hard survival (or whatever it might be called), for those of us who'd like more challenge or, as you may call it, grinding))
  • raven8575raven8575 Uk Join Date: 2016-09-07 Member: 222135Members
    Hi
    I have logged quite a few days now and have moth, cyclops and prawn. Yesterday I was off in my moth collecting and on way back to base heard a noise, got back to base to see a reaper in the safe shallows eating my prawn (dam it) reaper took it into the ground where I could not get to then distorted it. Moral of story don't leave prawn parked outside of base.
    Any one else had this happen ????
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    We're arguing points over a still very fluid game design :) Silver *is* rare but I see that as a play balance thing. I think once the devs get more of the story together, they're going to tweak the resources to drive the story forward and hopefully leave things open enough for those who decide "Hey, I kinda like it here."
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    I am honestly really undecided on this respawning idea, as both sides of the argument have solid cons and pros. I most definitely think the current resource method needs some tweaking. I just don't know about this spawning idea :/
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Something just dawned on me: If they added respawning mechanics recently, it could explain duplicate plants/fragments appearing on top of the other and the increasing numbers of mobs when more are spawned in without checking if the old one expired yet. Might even explain floating wreckage, where the engine is trying to respawn it but has no information on where to put it, so it's dropped at some default coordinates.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd really like to be forced to build in new biomes, and to build new structures to continue to get resources...

Imagine if you could get every resources from every biome - but it cost a lot more in some biomes than others (e.g. specific multipurpose room based refineries)
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I'd really like to be forced to build in new biomes, and to build new structures to continue to get resources...

Imagine if you could get every resources from every biome - but it cost a lot more in some biomes than others (e.g. specific multipurpose room based refineries)

Exactly my point...
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    edited September 2016
    I get the impression that the current stable resource situation is a quick-fix for the depleting fish issue where biomes would become lifeless. Is has the smell of setting all classes to return from their inactive state. Remember the post about someone killing a crab-squid that floated up toward the surface. It returned to life before it breached.

To me that looks like a class having some kind inactive flagged set to return to active after a certain time or other condition. A dead animals inactive state is the death model, a resource class might be a disabled state.

So animals regain the live state and move again and resources just become visible and interactable again.

I imagine its somewhat different than that, I never coded in unity and have no idea how they implemented their classes but It does have the scent of a temporary force-fix.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    The game doesn't give me any good (practical) reasons to build there, and I'm not a proponent of... err... whatever it's called.. I mean artificially creating situations to make game more challenging/interesting. I *can* do it, of course, but I'm not a fan.

Just because you don't want to live here ))
    You need an action, challenge. For others it may me life here, build of grand sea base with hope to add more people here, study this place... Oh wait it is Rimworld in the sea -.-
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Perhaps the spawn rate can be lowered a bit to push players into exploring new areas and give some challenge mid-game, but keep the respawn in so that the builder-types aren't completely hamstrung by the finite resources over the full game experience.
    Creative mode is for builders.
  • 2late2die2late2die Toronto Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222119Members
    There's definitely a balancing act around resources. Here's the thing, when I started this game before the PRAWN update, I pretty quickly found myself running out of titanium and especially quartz in the safe shallows area, but because I wasn't knowledgeable enough in the ways of the game I didn't make the best use of the resources up to that point and didn't have enough skill, knowledge and equipment to venture out much further in search of those resources. In fact I remember that the best quartz resource I found at the time was at a depth beyond my seamoth's ability (since I had no upgrade modules whatsoever). It was still possible for me to collect it but it was very slow and felt grind-y and not fun.

Now, I could've explored other areas and maybe found other source of quartz within easier reach, but again, being a total noob I was afraid to venture too far away from the base. I think many new players might be in a similar situation - not making best use of resources and being hesitant to explore too far out without better equipment. Now, obviously the game can't be catered to someone who might be completely wasting resources or afraid to go further than 200m away from the pod, but that's where the balancing act comes into play. Because on the other hand, they also can't cater the game to experienced players who can get a nuclear reactor going with nothing but a knife and two air tubes (obvious exaggeration for the sake of making the point).

Incidentally after the PRAWN update I did notice some re-spawning of quartz, but it never felt too much - like after the initial "quartz rush" it didn't feel like I could just rebuilt the entire base from scratch by just scouring safe shallows, but I could build a window or a hatch here and there by going out and spending a few minutes looking around in the area, but then I would need to spend some not insignificant amount of time and actually venture out of safe shallows if I wanted to get another containment unit going. So to my mind it was a good rate of respawn.

In any case, I think ideally I would actually like to see an option for this - whether tied to a "difficulty" level or as a separate setting. So say in the hardcore mode respawn rate would be zero (or maybe scarce), in survival it would be moderate, and in freedom plentiful. Then again I think a separate setting would be best, because maybe I want to play in survival because I don't want one life, but I want the challenge of scarce resources.

What might be even better (and I know I'm getting into a possible "too many options" territory) is multiple settings based on type of resource.
    For example, if there were three categories: equipment, minerals and faunt/flora. So then say for equipment, i.e. the stuff that fell off the ship - wrecks, pieces of vehicles, blueprints - I could set respawn rate to zero, because there's just one ship and when you scavenge something from it it stays used up and there's no more of it. (This way titanium would become rare over time but not gone entirely because...) For minerals I could set the spawn rate to "scarce" - quartz does take years (maybe decades, I'm not a geologist) to form, but it does grow over time, so in game terms that's something that could respawn every once in a while, and that way you'll keep having access to at least some titanium (and lithium and uranite and salt and so on) for the entire game. Finally, flora and fauna, well that just makes sense that plants regrow and animals repopulate, so that could be set to moderate respawn rate. Of course, as long as all those are settings under our control we could cater the game better to the experience we wish to have.