Build 309 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited September 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 309 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

As we announced in last week’s Changelog, we’re releasing a patch this week! This patch contains all the tweaks and updates we held back from build 308, in favor of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    For the Hive!

Looking forward to test the com tutorial :]
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2016
    @Kouji_San isn't going to like this :D

Great update, though. I really appreciate you spelling the intent of changes out like this. This is the kind of transparency we needed two years ago! Not sure if the MG is where it needs to be yet, but we'll see.

edit: I just fired up the comm tutorial and there's a spooky arrow, please send help
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    Regarding the machine gun, can we PLEASE finally have this model: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135464/hmg-work/p1
    Gjc2F9J.jpg?1

And some better sounds maybe? I'd settle for the old NS one, the current one is just blasphemous.
    You have to convey it to the player that it packs quite a punch...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Okay, I played through the commander tutorial twice now. Once for real, once for the easter eggs.

I think it does an excellent job of conveying the bare necessities of commanding to a new player. I only have one real and one semi real point of critique:
    1. Going to alerts with spacebar is extremely important. No one clicks or should click on notifications. In my opinion it would have been better to mention the spacebar twice rather than just once.
    2. Killing a hive with 1 arc is unrealistic. (I know, this is a little nitpicky, but it will cause rage at least once in a real match :P)

Other than that there's minor things, but as the tutorial itself says, these are better picked up on the field. They would only unnecessarily bloat the tutorial. So good job!

Also, the second time around I tried to break it as much as I could. You did quite a good job of caging the player in, I must say. So far I found (SPOILERS)
    - These dudes:
    ru6mrjtxr39p.jpg
    - The Lost Gorge's treasure (Think about the only place where you can do something that isn't railroaded, and you'll get it)

It was entertaining.

Lastly, I also want to be able to
    dance like the marines at the end of the tutorial. Maybe as an advanced taunt?

Yes! We need some sick moves for taunts! But no hats pls :]
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    .trixX. wrote: »

Yes! We need some sick moves for taunts! But no hats pls :]
    @Kouji_San obviously fake, he has a nose x)
    edited September 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @Kouji_San obviously fake, he has a nose x)

Could always go with this old classic >_>

Just hir for suggestion <_< It's called community feedback IIRC >_>
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Resistor wrote: »
    "We’ve been listening a lot to the community’s feedback about the current balance situation"
    Please, remove boneshield regen asap.

AFAIK a new boneshield is currently undergoing testing on TGNS. Change is coming. But to replace it with something broken isn't an option. Therefore the testing, and not changed yet

Okay, I played through the commander tutorial twice now. Once for real, once for the easter eggs.

I think it does an excellent job of conveying the bare necessities of commanding to a new player. I only have one real and one semi real point of critique:
    1. Going to alerts with spacebar is extremely important. No one clicks or should click on notifications. In my opinion it would have been better to mention the spacebar twice rather than just once.
    2. Killing a hive with 1 arc is unrealistic. (I know, this is a little nitpicky, but it will cause rage at least once in a real match :P)

The purpose of the tutorial is not to give an insight into the metagame, but give a an insight into the mechanics. If you want an insight into the metagame, experience and watching streams is the way to go - Not tutorials :)

• Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited September 2016
    It's nice the boneshield is being considered for additional changes as it's probably the most op'd/annoying thing in the game currently. I'm glad it's being looked into. I would prefer the armor regen be removed completely and to go another route. I don't like changing how life forms heal - it's always been from a gorge/crag/hive/or regen(advanced metab I guess is the exception/not sure I like this). I would rather not have a button an onos can push to regen armor. It's already difficult to kill an onos working with their team/gorges and that's how it's always been. Don't change the gorge/onos buddy relationship in a pub and make them solo healers (they already have a ton of health). No to armor regen...ns2 marine players can be happy again when they make a good play.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What are the proposed changes? But anyway, if you say it would still regen armor, then it would still be terrible.

And I agree that meta is just bad in its design, if at all, it should be a passive upgrade.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    2. Killing a hive with 1 arc is unrealistic.

Someone please tell Mega this please.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    Bone shield - Armor will only regenerate while blocking incoming damage, and blocking damage costs energy

Onos pres cost changed to 62 instead of 55 to delay Onos timing
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758317252

That is the mod Remi is testing out new boneshield mechanics with.

Please do not be so stubborn as to think that any regen of armor is bad. I think we all agree that the original bone shield mechanics were incredibly OP. Nobody ever complains about advanced metabolism which is basically the same thing just balanced. (Ok @DC_Darkling had to show me I am wrong about one little thing. I just have never heard anyone complain about it. It is not a common complaint. You think I would learn to not speak in absolutes, but that simple skill alludes me to this day.)

The boneshield being tested in that mod I linked is not even as strong as advanced metabolism anymore. It is not a button that you press to regen armor. That boneshield is a calculated risk compared to the instant win button we had. Marines now choose if they want you to shoot at your boneshield healing you, but making it so you can't charge away. As an onos I have tried to bait marines into shooting me so that they heal me. I have also tried to boneshield to save myself, but the marines didn't shoot. They just got closer and waited for me to drop the boneshield, then killed my onos. In that situation it would have been better to run away.

I am not saying that this implementation of boneshield is amazing, but I am asking that everyone have an open mind. Open minds are good things.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited September 2016
    Actually I have complained about advanced metab.
    I detest advanced metab.
    But im just one voice.
    But one voice is not everyone Therefore your statement is flawed. <3
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    @wasabione thank you yet again, for destroying our beloved Compmod.. again!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    Bone shield - Armor will only regenerate while blocking incoming damage, and blocking damage costs energy

Onos pres cost changed to 62 instead of 55 to delay Onos timing
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758317252

That is the mod Remi is testing out new boneshield mechanics with.

Please do not be so stubborn as to think that any regen of armor is bad. I think we all agree that the original bone shield mechanics were incredibly OP. Nobody ever complains about advanced metabolism which is basically the same thing just balanced.

The boneshield being tested in that mod I linked is not even as strong as advanced metabolism anymore. It is not a button that you press to regen armor. That boneshield is a calculated risk compared to the instant win button we had. Marines now choose if they want you to shoot at your boneshield healing you, but making it so you can't charge away. As an onos I have tried to bait marines into shooting me so that they heal me. I have also tried to boneshield to save myself, but the marines didn't shoot. They just got closer and waited for me to drop the boneshield, then killed my onos. In that situation it would have been better to run away.

I am not saying that this implementation of boneshield is amazing, but I am asking that everyone have an open mind. Open minds are good things.

I really dislike "absorbing attacks to gain health" as a general mechanic, just cause it feels too much like a video game. What about reflecting bullets back at the firer?
    Ixian wrote: »

The purpose of the tutorial is not to give an insight into the metagame, but give a an insight into the mechanics. If you want an insight into the metagame, experience and watching streams is the way to go - Not tutorials :)

This actually reminded me of something I forgot earlier: The tutorial does not actually explain the three ressource counters at the top! (TRES, RTs, that buildy stuff thing no one really pays attention to)

Nevermind the third but the first two are kinda important maybe?

Also yes, you are right. But really, all you have to do is tell them to build three arcs instead of one. You don't even have to tell them why. It will still teach them subconsciously that an arc shouldn't be alone.
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
    The new commander tutorial I think is a great idea if u guys keep doing good things like this I don't see how people could get yelled at anymore
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nanonoob wrote: »
    The new commander tutorial I think is a great idea if u guys keep doing good things like this I don't see how people could get yelled at anymore
    Oh no, they will find a way.
  • JudgEJudgE Join Date: 2010-09-18 Member: 74079Members
    edited September 2016
    After the upgrade I have ~25 fps.
    Before the upgrade I had more then 100 fps.
    edited September 2016
    JudgE wrote: »
    After the upgrade I have ~25 fps.

Would you consider making a post in the technical support thread?
    If you do, start by reading here on how to make a proper technical support post.

For performance problems you should follow these steps.
    Type "p_logall" without quotes in the console (~ key) whenever you want to begin recording in game (don't do this until you at least spawn in a round)
    then you can p_endlog /or just wait for the round to end/ or map to change/ or just quit the game and it will end automatically.

Then navigate to your hidden folder
    c:/users/YOU/appdata/roaming/natural selection 2/
    And you will find your file, something *.plog
    Zip it/ compress it.
    Upload it to somewhere on the internet
    Make a thread in the tech support forums, and put a link to your .plog file there.

This will give UWE a frame by frame analysis of what is going on, so try to pick a time when you can best reproduce your lowest performance like the 25 fps you said you get.
    Don't record for longer than 30 minutes, and don't record for shorter than 5.

Include your techsupport.zip file with this compressed plog.

Link to the UWE techsupport forums.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/cate...hnical-support
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2016
    @JudgE We're going to need a lot more info from you in order to assist.

Please provide your techsupport.zip file, that is generated by techsupport.exe (found in your NS2 install folder) and upload it to a new tech support thread.
    Where you explain any further details.
    edited September 2016
    On a totally related note. I would've loved a "Spark Film Maker" back in the day that wasn't as weird/hard to use as the cinematic editor :cry:

Just imagine the amount of YouTube coverage with that shizzle ey yo hmm... Is machinima still a thing, haven't really checked on youtube lately >_>

And no not machinima the gameplay channel, but movielike ingame ... movies...
    edited September 2016
    Yep classic stuff, but I mean importing other games like TF2 for instance and have a grand ol' TF2 vs NS2 off. Using other popular games to draw in viewers, I mean we can all say anything about NS2, but it ain't popular anymore :tongue:

Those vids are funny as heck in any case though
    A TF2 heavy and an NS2 Exo walk into a bar together....
    edited September 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    A TF2 heavy and an NS2 Exo walk into a bar together....

Spy sappin' my Hydra
    Derail;

giphy.gif