I'm sorry but...

jaradenjaraden UK Join Date: 2016-08-09 Member: 221123Members
I want to enjoy this game, i really want to leave positive feedback, i really do! But in this form, since the past TWO updates this game is infuriatingly UNPLAYABLE!

I'm pleased you've added loads of content, fantastic, but when items, materials, creatures and even terrain doesn't load in WHAT'S THE POINT?

sure the lading screen is long, that's understandable if it's generating a massive world but what's the point when the frame rate plummets to 5 or lower???

honestly, i'm sorry, but fix your game guys please!!! i expected better then this.

i don't want to be harsh but i literally can not play this game!

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Hmm, I'm only repeating here what I've picked up from various threads, but one big technical update UWE has planned is the update to Unity 5.4, which is set for the update this month according to the roadmap. And for November, the complete removal of terraforming is planned. Both of these should have a positive effect on performance. The only big thing missing on the roadmap is a plan to deal with the way bases currently burden the game, but that's at least listed as a "major issue" in the playtesting section.
  • Pirate_finPirate_fin Finland Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217797Members
    Sorry, if this is stupid question :blush: but does updating to Unity 5.4 help the game run better on Xbox One?

Again, sorry for the stupid question, but i don't know anything about making games :blush:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I think they're currently working through a few bugs (not sure if these are the bugs causing the issues, but they don't help at all I'm sure).
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    Pirate_fin wrote: »
    Sorry, if this is stupid question :blush: but does updating to Unity 5.4 help the game run better on Xbox One?

Again, sorry for the stupid question, but i don't know anything about making games :blush:

Well there are stupid questions and yes the update should help to fix it.
    Pirate_fin wrote: »

Well there are {no} stupid questions and yes the update should help to fix it.

FTFY ;) (I'm assuming it's a typo)
  • Slim360Slim360 Austria Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221992Members
    I love the game. Played it more than every AAA game. But since about 2 or 3 months I don't play it because of the frame rate problem. I wait till this problem is fixed to enjoy it again. I hope subnautica will run smooth till release so it can be sell million copies. Keep working and good luck.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
  • jaradenjaraden UK Join Date: 2016-08-09 Member: 221123Members
    So.. it's been several weeks since posting this comment. I've popped onto Subnautica a bunch of times and nothing has changed or improved. I've seen many videos on YouTube featuring new content for the PC, sadly no mention on any updates for the Xbox so the game continues to be shelved.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Sorry guys, we're working hard on getting the Bones update out. It's taking longer than planned due to some performance issues we're trying to address with the update.

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    jaraden wrote: »
    So.. it's been several weeks since posting this comment. I've popped onto Subnautica a bunch of times and nothing has changed or improved. I've seen many videos on YouTube featuring new content for the PC, sadly no mention on any updates for the Xbox so the game continues to be shelved.

We're working very hard. A couple big issues happened specifically on the Xbox version of the Bones update (which didnt show up on the PC version) which we're fixing. The fixes are not simple, any fix which makes performance worse is obviously unacceptable and we're working very hard on making sure there is no loss of performance with the fixes on Xbox.

We're also working very hard on future performance improvements that will come in future patches. This not only helps Xbox, but low-end PC/Mac players as well.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members

We're working very hard. A couple big issues happened specifically on the Xbox version of the Bones update (which didnt show up on the PC version) which we're fixing. The fixes are not simple, any fix which makes performance worse is obviously unacceptable and we're working very hard on making sure there is no loss of performance with the fixes on Xbox.

We're also working very hard on future performance improvements that will come in future patches. This not only helps Xbox, but low-end PC/Mac players as well.

Have you guys figured out exactly what makes the Unity engine only use the single processor core or thread or whatever? I'm not nagging you, I am just really curious. I just always thought it was the operating system that tells the processors what to do, not the softare being run
    The fact Subnautica was built with Unity is hilarious, and by hilarious I mean amazing. I don't think anyone could guess that, if you didn't tell them. Really amazing what you've squeezed out of that antiquated engine.
    CAPSHAW wrote: »

Have you guys figured out exactly what makes the Unity engine only use the single processor core or thread or whatever? I'm not nagging you, I am just really curious. I just always thought it was the operating system that tells the processors what to do, not the softare being run

The application itself has to be multi-threaded to receive any performance benefit from multiple CPUs and/or Hyperthreading (multiple threads on one CPU core). In other words, it has to be able to multitask, not just the hardware and OS. Not sure if Unity is multithreaded if it's not utilizing multiple cores.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members

So glad to see you here. I think many of us are very concerned that we have higher end machines and have been getting terrible performance since Dangerous Creatures. Since I've been the frame rate flag-bearer (only in a good informative way right? hehe) that your comment about testers needed was semi-directed at me a little bit. :) I hope I get selected to help ironically beyond being just a whiner I do have tools and talents I can bring to the project to help you out.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    CAPSHAW wrote: »

The application itself has to be multi-threaded to receive any performance benefit from multiple CPUs and/or Hyperthreading (multiple threads on one CPU core). In other words, it has to be able to multitask, not just the hardware and OS. Not sure if Unity is multithreaded if it's not utilizing multiple cores.

There are specific variant so Unity that do all full multi-threading via 64-bit codebase. When we were at KSP is was a huge deal when we finally got to move off the 32-bot compile to the 64-but just for unlimited memory for our mods sake.
  • FrigidmanFrigidman USA Join Date: 2016-09-25 Member: 222587Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    The fact Subnautica was built with Unity is hilarious, and by hilarious I mean amazing. I don't think anyone could guess that, if you didn't tell them. Really amazing what you've squeezed out of that antiquated engine.

Antiquated engine?

Is Subnautica not using the current engine builds of Unity which has more developer support than any other engine in the market?

Frigidman wrote: »
    Greybeard wrote: »

Antiquated engine?

Is Subnautica not using the current engine builds of Unity which has more developer support than any other engine in the market?

There are several newer, better engines out there. I don't care, but there are. *shrug*